Bad Experience - Wags Employees Help?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2009, 01:57 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
Sami Jo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Sami Jo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Sami Jo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Sami Jo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Sami Jo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Sami Jo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Sami Jo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Sami Jo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Sami Jo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Sami Jo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Help Sign Bad Experience - Wags Employees Help?

I had a truly horrible experience at Walgreens today. Before I send this letter off to Corporate Customer Service (I already left a VM for the DM to call me as well), will those who work at Wags make sure I am correct in what I say about coupons/sales? Thanks!!! I know you are all not like this - and I thank you for the job you do. Customer service is hard work (I am in it too, just not retail). Thanks!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sami Jo For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-21-2009, 02:00 AM

RE: Bad Experience - Wags Employees Help?

My Mood/Status:
Sami Jo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Sami Jo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Sami Jo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Sami Jo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Sami Jo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Sami Jo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Sami Jo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Sami Jo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Sami Jo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Sami Jo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Letter:

First, let me say that I am a user of coupons. I have been using coupons and Walgreens Register Rewards for almost 3 years now to help maximize our household budget. I follow the online deal site “A Full Cup”, which promotes the use of coupons and deals, but also emphasizes doing the deals ethically. I know there are other sites that teach people how to work around the rules (and kind of ruin things for the people who want to do them the right way). However, I also know that it is very important to me that I do things honestly. I work hard to make sure that I am only using coupons for their intended uses, I do not use expired coupons, and I follow the rules of Register Rewards (do not use them on items that are prohibited). Because of the sales and Register Rewards, I have started shopping at Walgreens instead of making my weekly trips to Walmart – which is bringing about $400/month of revenue into your store.

About 2 months ago I was shopping in the store at B** and B**. I had seen K** there several times and knew that he was one of the store managers. He was always polite when I saw him, even smiling and saying and asking if there was anything he could assist me with. On that day, I approached him to introduce myself. I know there are people out there who really abuse coupons & sales. I wanted him to know that I am not one of those people. I also wanted to advise him that I will begin teaching classes on bargain shopping & the use of coupons. Part of teaching the classes involves taking people out to stores and showing them firsthand how deals work. I wanted to let him know that I might be making more frequent trips in the next couple of months, and that I would give him a heads-up as to when we might be coming in (2-3 people max), so that he did not think there was anything suspicious going on.

As I started to introduce myself, he said “I already know all about you.” I was a bit taken aback, but then I asked him what he meant by that. He said that he knew I ran a “Crazy Coupon Lady” website (which is kind of true, I publish a blog, but at that time it was not really active yet). I told him that I did run a blog, and I proceeded to let him know that I also hope to teach classes. I also gave him the blog address so that he could check it out for himself. I asked if it was ok for me to bring people in to show them how to shop with Walgreens’ deals. He told me that he could not prohibit me from coming into the store, but if things got out of hand he would have to enforce serious limits. He said he did not want us coming in the first day of a sale and clearing out the shelves. I agreed with him – I would be showing people how to do one deal, not multiple ones back-to-back with the intention of cleaning out the sale items.
(Based on this interaction, I definitely will not be using this store when teaching how to shop the deals at Walgreens.)

On Sunday, I went into this store to pick up a few items. I purchased a candy bar, 3 St Ives body washes, 2 Crest kids toothpastes, and 2 Spiderman Zooth toothbrushes (the toothpaste & brushes were part of a Register Reward deal: purchase the 4 items for $10, and get $5 RR back). I used $15 in Register Rewards from previous promotions to pay for these items, plus $.04. After the transaction was finished, my Register Rewards did not print. (Like I said before, I have been using coupons and Register Rewards for some time now. I know that if Item A is on sale, producing Register Rewards, I can purchase that item using Register Rewards from Item C that was on sale last week (part of a different promotion, different companies))

K** was called to assist when I asked the cashier why the Register Rewards didn’t print. I did not use any Crest Rewards to pay for my purchase, so it should have printed. K** first looks at my receipt and says “You only paid $.04 for this?” in a mean tone. I told him that I paid $.04 in coin, but $15 in Register Rewards. He then told me that’s why the new Register Rewards did not print (I know that is not true). He then calls another manager to the front (I am sorry I cannot remember his name, it’s the first time I have seen him). That manager proceeded to tell me that using Register Rewards to pay for another item producing Register Rewards is illegal. I was very upset to hear this. He was basically calling me a thief in front of all the other customers at the registers. I offered to step aside so they could ring others up, but they said no, they would just deal with me right now.

I asked if he would please void the transaction so I could re-ring those items separately and not use Register Rewards just to be sure that’s what the problem was. When K** voided my first transaction, he did not refund me the $.04 that I paid. I know it’s just a few pennies, and by this point I was so embarrassed I just wanted to leave without buying anything, but it was the attitude that I didn’t even deserve my $.04 back that really upset me.

We re-rang the items and I paid $10.54 on my debit card. At the end of the transaction the Register Rewards still did not print. K** said he didn’t know why, but situations like this make him wish that Walgreens would do away with the Register Reward program and just price-adjust items so that he would not have to deal with people like me. I asked him to void the transaction completely, and I left the store without the toothpaste and toothbrushes. I then called Walgreens Customer Service and asked to leave a message for the District Manager to call me back.

Later on I found out through a friend that she had trouble with getting her Register Rewards to print – because she was buying Spiderman toothbrushes. They are ringing up as clearance $2.39 instead of the advertised price of $2.50. The price difference was making the register not recognize the deal, therefore the Register Rewards would not print. When tried again with 4 toothpastes this time instead of the 2 brushes, the Register Rewards printed (even though I used Register Rewards to pay).

I will continue to shop at Walgreens, but not at this store. I think it would be good for K** and the other manager to receive training on how coupons and sales work – the fact that coupons are counted like money in your store’s total sales, not detracting from them. I also think it would be beneficial for them to receive some training on how to handle customers when transactions don’t work correctly. Just because I was using coupons to pay does not mean that I deserved the treatment I received.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Sami Jo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2009, 04:44 AM

kkblackburn has posted more than 75 good deals!
Very well stated. I am curious to see the response. I agree that if you are hired in at Walgreens it should be part of your training to understand the register reward system.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kkblackburn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2009, 05:04 AM

dmyersquin has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!dmyersquin has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!dmyersquin has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!dmyersquin has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!dmyersquin has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!dmyersquin has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!dmyersquin has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!dmyersquin has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Very well said. The only thing I wonder about is if it might be a little too long, maybe they won't read it? I think it is well written though.
As my husband always tells me, make your points short and sweet. Maybe just tighten it up a little and make the points shorter and clearer?
Hope you get a satisfactory resolution.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dmyersquin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2009, 06:55 AM

My Mood/Status:
mbchic2004 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mbchic2004 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mbchic2004 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mbchic2004 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mbchic2004 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mbchic2004 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mbchic2004 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mbchic2004 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mbchic2004 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mbchic2004 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
It does seem a little IMO.

Unfortunately with Wags, it's very widely YMMV with RRs. It's rediculous. The managers at my store are fortunately well-trained with them (mostly because of me with these boards, LOL) but that's not the case across the board.

Also, just as a side note with mentioning this site, Wags managers and corporate watch these sites very closely as it is. You may not want to mention it and draw too much attention. Again JMO, but sticking just to what happened may be your best bit.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Abigail
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Hannah
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mbchic2004 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2009, 07:04 AM

sblme28 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!sblme28 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!sblme28 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!sblme28 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!sblme28 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!sblme28 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I would not mention the AFC website...
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sblme28 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2009, 07:17 AM

watching tv
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
terri3000 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!terri3000 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!terri3000 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!terri3000 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!terri3000 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!terri3000 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!terri3000 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!terri3000 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!terri3000 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!terri3000 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!terri3000 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Well for them to tell you that you only paid .04cents and saying that it was illegal to get rewards from using rewards that was crazy i would def. Say that over and over to the big wigs. That is why they have them advertised in there sales ad. It is not illegal that is like cash. That guy was being a butt.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to terri3000 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2009, 07:27 AM

Loving Q's!

My Mood/Status:
Hobbsie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Hobbsie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Hobbsie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Hobbsie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Hobbsie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Hobbsie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Hobbsie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Hobbsie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Hobbsie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Hobbsie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Hobbsie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Sorry you were treated so horribly! I hope you get a response, it is a tad bit long, but you definitely need all that info, maybe not the afc website part, but then again they might come here and realize that people from this site aren't there to screw wags. Good Luck!
, DS 5
, DD2 15 months

Malli
, Oscar
, Bruno
, Jack

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hobbsie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2009, 07:27 AM

My Mood/Status:
Thanks for the feedback. I did give the abridged version (sorry, it all spills out when I am mad, ). The manager called me back at 8:45, so I guess he does pay attention. And it was the one who told me I was doing something illegal. He apologized, and said he does not understand RRs fully. I offered to teach him J/K, but he asked me to come in today if I have time, and he will help me personally. I will keep this in case I need to send it up the chain, but for now the issue seems resolved.

And, I kept us anonymous He said he already browses the deal sites...I wonder which ones though, cause he never stocks up on the good things! LOL.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sami Jo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2009, 07:54 AM

Grounded for Life

rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sblme28 View Post
I would not mention the AFC website...
I wouldn't either.
The Following User Says Thank You to rachellynn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2009, 08:21 AM

gone shopping!

My Mood/Status:
Des8062002 has posted more than 400 great deals!Des8062002 has posted more than 400 great deals!Des8062002 has posted more than 400 great deals!Des8062002 has posted more than 400 great deals!Des8062002 has posted more than 400 great deals!
I had a similar situation happen to me yesterday too. I was going to do two transactions. The manager said he is not supposed to allow multiple transactions but would allow it this time. The first transaction came out with a $0 balance and printed a $5 RR. When he saw this he said "your not paying for anything and your getting five dollars for it". I politely told him that is what coupons are for. He then left the beauty area slamming the little door behind him. He made me so mad that I told the cashier I would not be shopping in a store that is unfriendly to coupon users so I did not do the second transaction. The nearest walgreens besides that one is about 15 minutes away but they are very coupon friendly and that is where I will be shopping from now on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Des8062002 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2009, 08:34 AM

watching tv
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
terri3000 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!terri3000 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!terri3000 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!terri3000 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!terri3000 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!terri3000 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!terri3000 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!terri3000 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!terri3000 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!terri3000 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!terri3000 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Man i am so glad my walgreens is so coupon friendly even the manager is nice and willing to help they know that the rr's are like cash and they know they are getting paid anyways the rr's are like cash. So i do not understand why managers and cashiers complain, sometimes i think they are jealous they do not know how to do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to terri3000 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2009, 08:40 AM

My Mood/Status:
mamma2myboys has posted more than 150 good deals!mamma2myboys has posted more than 150 good deals!
Walgreens has always be very coupon unfriendly in my area & really rude managers.

I am glad to read the manager apologised.

As coupon users I think we need to add company customer service numbers to our cell phones for such instances like these. It is so upsetting to be treated like a thief for using coupons which encourage shoppers to shop in the store!
The Following User Says Thank You to mamma2myboys For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2009, 08:56 AM

My Mood/Status:
elmomommyto2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!elmomommyto2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!elmomommyto2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!elmomommyto2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!elmomommyto2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!elmomommyto2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!elmomommyto2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!elmomommyto2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!elmomommyto2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I'm so sorry that you were treated this way, but boy am I glad that the manager seems wiling to learn more about the RR system, so that hopefully it won't be happening again! Your letter was very well thought out and will provide a great example for those of us who aren't so eloquent when angry LOL!
The Following User Says Thank You to elmomommyto2 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2009, 09:39 AM

My Mood/Status:
I'mBlessed has posted more than 25 good deals
Thank you very much for this information. It was well written and I appreciate the details. I am new to this and all the information is very helpful to me. Have a wonderful Holiday!
The Following User Says Thank You to I'mBlessed For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2009, 10:03 AM

My Mood/Status:
ms_eeyore6380 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ms_eeyore6380 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ms_eeyore6380 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ms_eeyore6380 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ms_eeyore6380 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ms_eeyore6380 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ms_eeyore6380 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ms_eeyore6380 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I'm sorry you were treated so badly but at least now I'm sure he will recieve some additional training in RR and will probably never make the same mistake. Last month a few days before I found this site I bought some Theraflu at Wags and got the $3 back the cashier (my favorite at this store) said "don't forget your RR treat it like cash" thats the attitude I wish all Wags would adopt if the are going to have this kind of program.
The Following User Says Thank You to ms_eeyore6380 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2009, 10:10 AM

My Mood/Status:
Pokaholic has posted more than 400 great deals!Pokaholic has posted more than 400 great deals!Pokaholic has posted more than 400 great deals!Pokaholic has posted more than 400 great deals!Pokaholic has posted more than 400 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des8062002 View Post
I had a similar situation happen to me yesterday too. I was going to do two transactions. The manager said he is not supposed to allow multiple transactions but would allow it this time. The first transaction came out with a $0 balance and printed a $5 RR. When he saw this he said "your not paying for anything and your getting five dollars for it". I politely told him that is what coupons are for. He then left the beauty area slamming the little door behind him. He made me so mad that I told the cashier I would not be shopping in a store that is unfriendly to coupon users so I did not do the second transaction. The nearest walgreens besides that one is about 15 minutes away but they are very coupon friendly and that is where I will be shopping from now on.
Depending on the mood I'm in at the time, if this happened to me I might just go confront the manager in a tone I would confront my kids in (since he's acting like a kid). I wouldn't "not" shop there though, unless you are like me and have 18 stores within 15-20 minutes of you. It's rough when they catch you offguard, so consider going back just to discuss what he dislikes about you shopping there. Maybe it's just jealousy, he wishes he could do the same deals you do but doesn't know how, or doesn't have the time. That's kindof what one manager who was a bit snarky to me explained after he made the snarky comment. he realized I knew how to work the system and that he wasn't able to for one reason or another. BUT, he also realized he likes the business I think, which is why he followed up with an explanation. Just my thoughts.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:08 AM

My Mood/Status:
moochyschwag has posted more than 5 good deals
Ages ago when I worked at Rite Aid I took it upon myself to write a PDF booklet on how to read a coupon, what to do in certain coupon scenarios and what the coupon policy "really" means in certain situations. I did that for my own sake as a cashier and customer. It was "notes" for myself. Long story short, the Manager once noticed my booklet and asked if he could read it. I said yes. After reading it he asked if he could make copies for ALL of the staff because coupon policies and return policies can be 'mis-translated' especially by new staff or poorly trained staff. I thought that was very cool, because within a matter of months all the staff at my store was not only coupon friendly, but using coupons too. Business increased in the store and I got sort of a recognition for it. Also, I used to ask questions to the Manager or the bigger Managers when they came in about situations that occured with customers. I totally acted "concerned" not "frustrated" which helps get solutions. By being an employee and "helping" in this way, I feel I helped society *warm feeling* I'm no longer there and sometimes I wish I saved that darn document!!!

But I am writing this so maybe employees of stores might take an initiative to do the same thing. By making these your own "notes" per se, and maybe leaving a convenient copy laying around () I don't know ---

My document included things like:

One coupon per purchase = One coupon per item per single transaction
One coupon per transaction = No duplicates of this coupon per single transaction
One coupon per customer = No duplicates of this coupon during each visit

I think the MANAGER learned a few things too.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to moochyschwag For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2010, 05:23 AM

learning more about AFC every day.

My Mood/Status:
jbonow1231 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!jbonow1231 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!jbonow1231 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!jbonow1231 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!jbonow1231 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!jbonow1231 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!jbonow1231 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!jbonow1231 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!jbonow1231 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!jbonow1231 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!jbonow1231 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
I can't say I've really particularly had trouble at either Walgreens I usually shop at with RR, besides them not printing. They are usually more than willing to help.

I am slightly amused, however, that the two closest local Wags have started taking all the stickies and hangtags off everything in the store and keeping them up at the register, and make you use them that day. Which, is mildly annoying if you already have a coupon for the same amount off that product and yours expires first. :P

Old 07-14-2010, 06:17 AM

Shopping for Bargains!

My Mood/Status:
scamelo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!scamelo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!scamelo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!scamelo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!scamelo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!scamelo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!scamelo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!scamelo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!scamelo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!scamelo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!scamelo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
3 out of 4 walgreens in my area are not coupon friendly. The friendliest one is furthest away and a bit of a hike.

My question in general is I don't understand how Walgreens stays in business as a chain, with all the bad customer service it gives at so many stores ( not all). I just don't get it.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:49 AM

learning more about AFC every day.

My Mood/Status:
jbonow1231 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!jbonow1231 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!jbonow1231 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!jbonow1231 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!jbonow1231 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!jbonow1231 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!jbonow1231 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!jbonow1231 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!jbonow1231 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!jbonow1231 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!jbonow1231 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Probably because in a lot of areas its the only 24 hour pharmacy. When you really need something from the pharmacy at 2 AM, you can only be so picky about it.