Where To Dumpster Dive/Coupon Collect In The Denver-Metro?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 03:12 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
NotSoKrazy has posted more than 75 good deals!
Where to Dumpster Dive/Coupon Collect in the Denver-Metro?

So I've stumbled upon this idea, dumpster diving for coupons in paper recycling centers/bins.

I'm all over it. My grandma used to dumpster dive for aluminum, and it was something I did every day with her over summer vacations as a kid. She did it for the exercise, donated the money to kids with cerebal palsy so they could go to special summer camps. Her second priority was, you guessed it, Sunday papers for the inserts! She's been couponing since long before it was popular. Remember Marlboro miles? She found them, and traded them to neighbors for more cans and coupons.

I got super nostalgic reading about people who dive in recycling bins and recycling centers for coupons, but now I have no idea where I could possibly do this, or even if it's legal in Colorado. With my grandmother, we actually went dumpster diving in the back alleys of Denver around Pecos and I-70, which isn't really a safe place to be alone these days.

Does anyone dive in the Denver Metro? Is it legal? Is there a list of publicly available paper recycling bins or recycling centers? I tried to find one, but all .gov sites have terrible navigation.

Thanks in advance for any advice on the matter!
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 04:42 AM

RE: Where to Dumpster Dive/Coupon Collect in the Denver-Metro?

LIFE'S A CIRCUS & WE'RE THE CLOWNS!!!

My Mood/Status:
dawngrf has posted more than 75 good deals!
no answers to your question but just wanted to say "hi" to a fellow Denver metro couponer! What part of town are you in? I'm in Parker/Lonetree area.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:52 AM

My Mood/Status:
Well thanks for stopping in either way! I'm in the Englewood/Littleton area, but I'm surprised how often I'm at the Lonetree Super Target. I tell you that's a nice store with great employees. I normally shop at the new Highlands Ranch Super Target, and although it's a beautiful store they certainly could use nicer employees.

Nice to meet a fellow couponer, I'll send you a friend request once I figure out how to do it!
Old 12-09-2011, 06:06 AM

It's good to be back!
Too busy for coupons? NEVER!

My Mood/Status:
Shashahx has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Shashahx has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Shashahx has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Shashahx has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Shashahx has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Shashahx has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Shashahx has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Shashahx has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Shashahx has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Shashahx has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Shashahx has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
I do know it's legal here in the springs. Still tryin to figure out the "where" part though. Lol

iPhone user - please forgive any auto-correct errors
Old 12-11-2011, 02:03 AM

LIFE'S A CIRCUS & WE'RE THE CLOWNS!!!

My Mood/Status:
dawngrf has posted more than 75 good deals!
NotSoKrazy, I live about 7 mins f/ the Lonetree Target and the employees are great, it's just their prices are higher & have less selection, than some Targets. Where exactly is the HR Super one?
Old 12-11-2011, 02:07 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawngrf View Post
NotSoKrazy, I live about 7 mins f/ the Lonetree Target and the employees are great, it's just their prices are higher & have less selection, than some Targets. Where exactly is the HR Super one?
Right off of C-470 and Lucent blvd, one exit west of Broadway. Exit at Lucent, take a left onto Lucent, and you'll see it a couple blocks up on the left hand side.

Just a heads up, if there's a particular item you'd be willing to come up here for because Lone Tree is out, call ahead and ask if they have it in stock, and if they would put those items on hold for you. They've always been great about doing that for me. They'll be waiting for you at the Guest Service counter, and you won't have to waste the gas if they're already out of stock.

There's also a Target off of Arapahoe and I-25, but it's not a Super Target.

Last edited by NotSoKrazy; 12-11-2011 at 02:10 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:06 PM

My Mood/Status:
savingalittle has posted more than 10 good deals
I live near Ken Caryle and would hate if this bites me in the butt, but... I don't dumpster dive for my coupons. I use the recycle bins at my local coffee shop (*$'s).

I usually get coffee before I walk the dogs on Sundays and stop, check the recyle bin for ads and coupons. If there is a great insert, I go back in the PM to check for more recyled coupons. I know the manager, and he is ok with it, but I DEFINATELY asked first. at another store, I was told it was not acceptable. this is a CHEAP easy way to get additional coupons. The last P&G insert that had $2 off tide, I picked up 13 tide coupons. I am now stocked on laundry soap for the next 6 months! YAY!
Old 02-04-2012, 10:31 AM

My Mood/Status:
Awesome, I don't think it'll bite you in the behind though because there are so many 'favorite coffee shops' all over town.

That's a great idea honestly. I didn't know they have recycling bins at their shops now; I've been silently boycotting them since Peaberry Coffee closed down. I grew up next to a Peaberry; it was a cornerstone of my community. I even met my fiance there. I have my Joe Dough card still in my clutch; I miss them a lot.

You've inspired me though; I've had to seek out small local coffee shops to meet my needs, and I've indeed found a whole bunch of awesome little places locally owned and operated, but missing aforementioned recycle bins.

I'll get in touch with management at the local coffee places and try to get them to install a paper recycling bin. Good for local business, good for the community, good for the environment, and good for me! It's genius!

In the mean time, I'll try to see if any of the 'favorite coffee shops' will let me poke through their recycling once a week while staying true to my secret boycott.

Thanks so much for the idea, and happy couponing!
Old 02-06-2012, 07:28 AM

My Mood/Status:
savingalittle has posted more than 10 good deals
My coffee shop empties the recylce each day, so watch the local paper. Sometimes they put inserts in the daily papers. I have gone in on Thursdays and came out with 5-6 extra inserts. If you watch for it, you can get ahead quickly!