Survey-what's Your Favorite Kind Of Garage Sale??

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2016, 06:51 PM
not again!!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Question Survey-what's your favorite kind of garage sale??

We are organizing all our stuff to have a fundraiser for our kids scout troops.
What way to sell would get the most results?
Make offer?
$5 reusable stuff a bag?
Pricing everything?
We have new and gently used stuff and donations of clothes, household, books, holiday and more
TIA for your feedback.
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-24-2016, 09:24 PM

RE: Survey-what's your favorite kind of garage sale??

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Ok or better. It's kinda like our guarantee ~ BVtS

My Mood/Status:
monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
FWIW, I get annoyed and usually just leave when items arent clearly priced. I am ok with either prices on each item or signage stating something like "all clothes $1, all bedding $2, etc.". I rarely buy when most items arent labeled. I wouldnt suggest the "make an offer" option.

I am usually not after clothes or the typical things that you might get in a "fill a bag" situation however they do seem very popular so if you have lots of clothes of similar quality you might consider that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to monkeydawn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2016, 08:27 AM

hereimagain has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hereimagain has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hereimagain has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hereimagain has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hereimagain has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hereimagain has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hereimagain has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hereimagain has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
If you have lots sort kids clothing by size in big bins or piles on the tables. Do 'fill a bag' later (after 10am if you start at 8am) after most in-demand staff is gone.
I don't like things placed on the ground/grass unless these are big items.
I also like things labelled, not necessarily individually.
I agree, 'make an offer' is not a good option.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hereimagain For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2016, 01:27 PM

Coupon Free or Die

My Mood/Status:
mrslebreton53 has posted more than 150 good deals!mrslebreton53 has posted more than 150 good deals!
I agree on the pricing everything.
I would price the big stuff and do fill a bag for clothes and books.
The end of the day brings the bargain hunters, about 1 put make an offer but leave your marked price so they have a starting point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrslebreton53 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2016, 07:13 AM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
DarrellsGirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!DarrellsGirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!DarrellsGirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!DarrellsGirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!DarrellsGirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!DarrellsGirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!DarrellsGirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!DarrellsGirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!DarrellsGirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!DarrellsGirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Pricing everything is the best! I'm another one who will usually leave if nothing is priced and no one tells me prices. I don't like to have to ask- if you're watching me and shout out prices it's okay but I'd rather have a tag. After that fill a bags always make me spend more than I thought I would haha
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DarrellsGirl For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2016, 03:55 PM

My Mood/Status:
lisaflex has posted more than 400 great deals!lisaflex has posted more than 400 great deals!lisaflex has posted more than 400 great deals!lisaflex has posted more than 400 great deals!lisaflex has posted more than 400 great deals!
clearly marked prices are what i like too!

and, yes sort kids clothing (or any for that matter) by size accordingly....its a pain to look for the sizes you want if things are just all jumbled together....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lisaflex For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2016, 05:12 PM

BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
We did one last year (since you mention Scout Troop) and basically had 90% of the stuff set up on tables with a price point ($0.25 table, $0.50 table and so forth).

Then one or two tables in the front with the stuff that was worth more (we got items from various folks, and at least a couple of the parents are collectors so they could give hints as to what could be a more "antique type" and thus more valuable item) with those tagged individually.

A few other things marked by category (like the all clothes I think we did $0.25 or 5/$1, something like that - but we didn't have a lot of those).

In terms of the tables by price, I happened to have hanging around some old labels in various colors, so we just stuck those on so we knew which were which (like 50 cents yellow, $1 green and such) leaving one price blank (whatever had the most items). Still easier than pricing, since no need to write the price, just stick one on.

Also (and maybe since it was a non profit group) we had very few people asking for a deal (as seems to happen at sales most times).

One other thought (since this is a coupon/rebate group) - if anyone in the group happens to have gotten items cheap or free with rebates/coupons that they don't need, it would be a good way to get rid of those as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillyGr For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2016, 06:13 AM

I Love Coupons

My Mood/Status:
treasurehouse has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!treasurehouse has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!treasurehouse has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!treasurehouse has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!treasurehouse has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!treasurehouse has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!treasurehouse has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!treasurehouse has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!treasurehouse has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!treasurehouse has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!treasurehouse has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
I haven't met a garage sale I haven't liked.

Seriously.......

For fundraising type garage sales, we have found that a freewill offering brings in MORE money than pricing each individual item.
The Following User Says Thank You to treasurehouse For This Useful Post: