Walmart, Kmart And Sears Will Be Closing Select Stores Nationwide This Year

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2016, 08:50 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Sonographer

My Mood/Status:
Macchiatomom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Macchiatomom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Macchiatomom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Macchiatomom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Macchiatomom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Macchiatomom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Macchiatomom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Macchiatomom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Macchiatomom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Macchiatomom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Macchiatomom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
read Walmart, Kmart and Sears will be closing select stores nationwide this year

I was shocked when I saw this in the news. Some of the stores included are Macyís, Kohlís, The Gap, Sports Authority, Aeropostale, JCPenney, Office Depot and more. Itís sad. Less businesses means more unemployed people.

Oh well, I think it has to do with all the online shopping and buy online pick up in store hype. What do you guys think?!

Sarah mommy to three precious girls
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Macchiatomom For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-01-2016, 12:47 AM

RE: Walmart, Kmart and Sears will be closing select stores nationwide this year

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
I do ALL of my non-food and some of my food online. Shopping in a store is horrible. You finally find what you want but they're out of the color/size/etc you need.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goddessoflubbock For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2016, 09:14 AM

Couponing!

westcoastcouponer has posted more than 75 good deals!
Old news. Walmart already closed a number of store.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:43 PM

BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
To some degree it also depends on what stores/type they are closing, how often it happens and how many.

For example, the Walmart closing was primarily something called Walmart Express, which was a smaller format they had tried and apparently didn't work out. There were a very few regular/club stores scattered around which are probably simply ones that were badly placed to begin with.
Not to mention that they were planning to open more stores than the # closed during the year.

As opposed to someone like Kmart, who has been closing a fair number of stores, and doing so year after year. That seems more like a signal the company is doing badly overall.

Other things (like Macy's for example) could be a simple overload in some areas after all the different chains they took over over the years. For example here we originally had one mall with a Macy's years ago - now there are probably 4 or 5 in the greater area (or just about every mall) so they might find that they really don't need that many for the area.
The Following User Says Thank You to BillyGr For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2016, 12:47 PM

Life is good!

2015 YTD Savings: $9370
My Mood/Status:
nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I agree BillyGr, DH & I have both said they must also see a forecast in future economics.
Many companies have perceptive, saavy business people, while others must cut losses.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:48 PM

Sonographer

My Mood/Status:
Macchiatomom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Macchiatomom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Macchiatomom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Macchiatomom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Macchiatomom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Macchiatomom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Macchiatomom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Macchiatomom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Macchiatomom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Macchiatomom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Macchiatomom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastcouponer View Post
Old news. Walmart already closed a number of store.
Well Macys isn't old news and gap, etc. The only old news I'd say is WM and they are continuing to close more stores!

The Following User Says Thank You to Macchiatomom For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2016, 07:50 PM

Sonographer

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddessoflubbock View Post
I do ALL of my non-food and some of my food online. Shopping in a store is horrible. You finally find what you want but they're out of the color/size/etc you need.
I agree shopping in-store is horrible, especially if you have kids and have to wait in line for too long. Sometimes, I go to target and wait in line for twenty something minutes and kids drive me nuts fighting and screaming and then I just leave the store without anything.

The Following User Says Thank You to Macchiatomom For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2016, 09:59 PM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macchiatomom
I agree shopping in-store is horrible, especially if you have kids and have to wait in line for too long. Sometimes, I go to target and wait in line for twenty something minutes and kids drive me nuts fighting and screaming and then I just leave the store without anything.
I'm past the kid program but I'm on 02 and in a chair. Crowds are just aggravating. You'd be amazed how many ppl think it's ok to touch or lean on my chair!! So I stay home...
The Following User Says Thank You to Goddessoflubbock For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2016, 11:21 PM

Couponing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
For example, the Walmart closing was primarily something called Walmart Express, which was a smaller format they had tried and apparently didn't work out.
Also covered in the closures are 23 Neighborhood Markets, 12 Supercenters, seven stores in Puerto Rico, six discount centers, and four Samís Clubs.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:27 PM

Couponing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macchiatomom View Post
Well Macys isn't old news and gap, etc. The only old news I'd say is WM and they are continuing to close more stores!
Macy's closed 14 stores in 2015 and announced another 40 will close in 2016.
In June 2015 Gap announced they will be closing 175 stores.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:19 AM

My Mood/Status:
lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
K Mart has been doing poorly for a long time, we haven't really discussed this in a while but each time a lease runs out for K mart the store gets closed the same with some Sears store. It really is sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
To some degree it also depends on what stores/type they are closing, how often it happens and how many.

For example, the Walmart closing was primarily something called Walmart Express, which was a smaller format they had tried and apparently didn't work out. There were a very few regular/club stores scattered around which are probably simply ones that were badly placed to begin with.
Not to mention that they were planning to open more stores than the # closed during the year.

As opposed to someone like Kmart, who has been closing a fair number of stores, and doing so year after year. That seems more like a signal the company is doing badly overall.

Other things (like Macy's for example) could be a simple overload in some areas after all the different chains they took over over the years. For example here we originally had one mall with a Macy's years ago - now there are probably 4 or 5 in the greater area (or just about every mall) so they might find that they really don't need that many for the area.
The Following User Says Thank You to lyn96 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2016, 07:12 PM

BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastcouponer View Post
Also covered in the closures are 23 Neighborhood Markets, 12 Supercenters, seven stores in Puerto Rico, six discount centers, and four Samís Clubs.
Thanks - didn't remember the exact amounts, just knew that they were relatively small both in comparison to the total and in terms of the number of each that they have.

For example, that 12 supercenters probably represents 1% (or less) of the total number existing, which is most likely just a few places they shouldn't have opened to begin with.
The Following User Says Thank You to BillyGr For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2016, 03:06 AM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Walmart is still growing. When I moved here in 2000 we had 2 WM and a Sam's. Same has since moved to bigger digs, we got 2 more WMs, and as of today we are getting 2 more, including one of the Market basket stores. All in a county with maybe 300,000 people.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goddessoflubbock For This Useful Post: