Walgreen's Is Purchasing Rite Aid

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2015, 07:20 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Walgreen's is purchasing Rite Aid

NEW YORK (AP) -- Walgreens is buying rival Rite Aid for about $9.41 billion in cash, creating a drugstore giant with nearly 18,000 stores around the world.

The deal combines the largest and third-largest U.S. drugstore chains, based on store counts. And it makes one of the world's largest pharmaceutical buyers even bigger at a time when other key health care players like insurers and drugmakers also are expanding through multi-billion dollar deals.

Walgreens said it will pay $9 for each share of Rite Aid Corp. That's a 48 percent premium to Rite Aid's closing price of $6.08 Monday. Shares of both companies jumped Tuesday after The Wall Street Journal first reported the deal.

The companies said the deal is worth $17.2 billion, when debt is included.

Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc. has more than 13,100 stores around the world. Rite Aid, which is based in Camp Hill, Pennsylvania, has more than 4,600 stores in the U.S.
Related Quotes

RAD7.98-7.96%
WBA88.25-7.26%

Rite Aid Corporation
Watchlist
7.98-0.69(7.96%)
NYSE9:14AM EST

Reuters Business News Schedule at 1330 GMT/0930 AM ET Reuters 19 mins ago
Why Are Shares of These Trending Stocks on the Move? Insider Monkey q 23 mins ago

More

The companies expect the deal to close in the second half of next year, although given that it is combining the No. 1 and No. 3 players in its industry, it could draw close scrutiny from anti-trust regulators.

It comes less than year after Walgreens bought European health and beauty retailer Alliance Boots. Besides its namesake stores, Deerfield, Illinois-based Walgreens also owns Duane Reade stores in the U.S.

A combination with Rite Aid will give Walgreens additional purchasing power in negotiating prices with drug companies, a hot topic given the rapid rise in cost for some prescriptions.

Adding Rite Aid's stores could also help Walgreens lower price for its customers because its growing volume of prescriptions would put it in a better position in talks with drug providers.

Rite Aid stores will initially keep its name after the deal closes, Walgreens said, but that may change over time.
Rates

View Comments (488)
Share this


The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to momabrown3 For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-28-2015, 09:46 AM

RE: Walgreen's is purchasing Rite Aid

Addicted to Couponing

mathnut has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mathnut has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mathnut has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mathnut has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mathnut has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mathnut has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mathnut has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Very sad about this. Rite Aid's Plenti program is awesome and RA has become my favorite drug store since I returned to them a few months after they got rid of their +Ups. I hope they keep the Plenti program and the 20% gold status discount. But even if they do, that's one less drug store to find deals.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mathnut For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2015, 12:03 PM

My Mood/Status:
bretoni has posted more than 75 good deals!
I spoke to the manager at my RA today about this, she said eventually all RA will be converted over to wags and we will be using Walgreen's point program. The only good thing I see about this, is we would not have to wait 24 hrs to use our rewards! My personal thought process on this, is Walgreen's will most likely be implementing a easier way of getting the rewards if they want RA customer's to shop there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bretoni For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2015, 11:42 PM

Meow

My Mood/Status:
endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
When the day comes for a total change there has to be stores that will be closing. They will not have two Walgreen's with the same stock to be sitting across the street from each other or just a block or so away. Logically when the time comes to change the "Rite Aid" stores to Walgreen's signage and goods that the Rite Aid stores too close to Walgreen's will have to be sold. If I were an employee at the Rite Aid stores I'd feel very nervous about the acquisition.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to endlesoul For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2015, 08:10 AM

Ok or better. It's kinda like our guarantee ~ BVtS

My Mood/Status:
monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by endlesoul View Post
They will not have two Walgreen's with the same stock to be sitting across the street from each other or just a block or so away.
I see plenty of DD and Starbucks across the street from one another. LOL

In all seriousness it could depend on the hold that CVS has in whichever places there are Wags/ RAs across the street from one another. There could be scenarios where its better to have two Wags across the street from one another rather than yield one half of the street to CVS. Sure, there's more overhead than a coffee joint however the potential $$ to be made from RX is more too.

Anyone know the timeline that this deal should be approved or shot down by the feds?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to monkeydawn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2015, 05:16 PM

BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydawn View Post
Anyone know the timeline that this deal should be approved or shot down by the feds?
Everything I've seen says no sooner than the 2nd half of 2016 - so that would be at least July (which is why it was funny that people somewhere were worried about buying all the Black Friday deals and what they would do with the points if the program changed).

Not to mention that the article at the top says they will initially keep both names.
The Following User Says Thank You to BillyGr For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2015, 07:18 PM

My Mood/Status:
juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
A lot of business are merging or buying each other out, I too would be worried if I were a Rite Aid employee
Old 11-07-2015, 11:46 PM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by endlesoul
When the day comes for a total change there has to be stores that will be closing. They will not have two Walgreen's with the same stock to be sitting across the street from each other or just a block or so away. Logically when the time comes to change the "Rite Aid" stores to Walgreen's signage and goods that the Rite Aid stores too close to Walgreen's will have to be sold. If I were an employee at the Rite Aid stores I'd feel very nervous about the acquisition.
You'd be surprised. They recently built a Walgreens at 34th & Slide here. There's already one at 50th and one at 4th & Slide. They didn't close either! The drive time from 4th to 50th is maybe 3 minutes.

We never had Rite Aid here. Guess we never will!
The Following User Says Thank You to Goddessoflubbock For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2015, 09:44 AM

kajnsn has posted more than 5 good deals
I don't have any Rite Aids in my area, but I always saw great deals from them from couponing sites. I guess I will never see those deals after all. :/
The Following User Says Thank You to kajnsn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2015, 10:40 PM

It's S-U-M-M-E-R!

My Mood/Status:
ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
CVS bought Target pharmacies.
Walgreens is buying Rite Aid.

Will there actually be stand alone pharmacies?
!
The Following User Says Thank You to ReuschHome For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2015, 02:15 AM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuschHome
CVS bought Target pharmacies. Walgreens is buying Rite Aid. Will there actually be stand alone pharmacies?
We have a few individually owned pharmacies here but they are horribly expensive and never take my insurance.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goddessoflubbock For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2015, 07:53 PM

My Mood/Status:
lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
We had a small 3 store family chain called Linds one is still open. Rite Aid bought one last year and this past summer they bought the only one in a small town where I live and promptly closed it with the provision that NO others would open ( how the heck does that happen) any way it was right across from the hospital and we have 3 assisted living type facilities with varying levels of care. Rite aid was "very kind" and transferred all scripts to the Rite Aid 15 miles away many of these folks have no transportation and the transit is on the hour only with limited stops. The hospital is now trying to figure out a way to open the hospital pharmacy to the public. In the next town is a stand alone but other than that we have the base,Walgreens,Rite Aid,Walmart and Safeway. These buy outs suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuschHome View Post
CVS bought Target pharmacies.
Walgreens is buying Rite Aid.

Will there actually be stand alone pharmacies?
Old 11-20-2015, 01:01 AM

My Mood/Status:
michellzey has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!michellzey has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!michellzey has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!michellzey has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!michellzey has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!michellzey has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!michellzey has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
This sucks!!!! I stopped shopping at wags after they basically converted RR program to points, 'cause instead of moneymakers every 2-3 weeks, (I remember 1 week I had a profit of 200RR right before christmas - bought all my xmas presents for my kids on wags' black friday that year using those RR) now you have to spend about 10x more to get a measly amount back in rewards. Right now I spend on average about 3x what I get back in rewards from right aid...I'd have to spend 3+x that to get the same amount in rewards at wags
Old 11-29-2015, 02:18 PM

cheerful

My Mood/Status:
lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I'm surprised that the federal trade commission is allowing this as competition keeps prices low and that is what all the rewards programs feed on. If you noticed that after Office Depot and Office Max merged, almost immediately, all the rewards stopped. The logic behind allowing the merger and not considering them monopolies is since the age of the internet, they considered online resources the other sources of competition. The FTC should get their act together and do what we pay them for (with our tax dollars).

Last edited by lutherandj; 11-29-2015 at 02:18 PM. Reason: grammar
The Following User Says Thank You to lutherandj For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2015, 02:46 PM

BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BillyGr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutherandj View Post
I'm surprised that the federal trade commission is allowing this as competition keeps prices low and that is what all the rewards programs feed on. If you noticed that after Office Depot and Office Max merged, almost immediately, all the rewards stopped. The logic behind allowing the merger and not considering them monopolies is since the age of the internet, they considered online resources the other sources of competition. The FTC should get their act together and do what we pay them for (with our tax dollars).
I suppose (with the office scenario above) they also took into account that there is still Staples as a competitor to the OD/OM combo.

Which would be similar here - CVS as a competitor to the Walgreens/Rite Aid combo.
The Following User Says Thank You to BillyGr For This Useful Post: