Planning To Feed Baby...Would Like Some Input

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-05-2013, 04:27 PM
tratra's Avatar
Lift while you climb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: TN
Posts: 9,625
My Mood/Status:
tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Planning to feed baby...Would like some input

Ok, we got the little munchkin home and he's doing well. I'm a planner and a stockpiler, so we already had loads of diapers, wipes, and baby products before he was born. What we held off on buying was formula. I've never had one of these creatures of my own, so I have no idea how much formula I need to budget for over the next 6 months. I've checked different baby sites and formula sites and they all seem to have different info. So...

Those of you who fed your babies formula from the beginning, could you give me an idea of how much/how often you had to buy it? We've been getting the 22 oz tubs and he's been going through about 1 a week. But he's still just a little bitty thing and isn't eating more than 3 or 4 ounces at a time. I expect he'll need more soon. I'd like to stock up as there are sales, but I don't want to get to much and have numerous tubs on hand when he switches off of the formula.

Thanks!
__________________

DELTA region for Kroger stores


Are you looking for a way to give back to this great community?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

  #2  
Old 01-05-2013, 04:52 PM

RE: Planning to feed baby...Would like some input

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: cleveland,oh
Posts: 1,211
My Mood/Status:
tharte36 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tharte36 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tharte36 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tharte36 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tharte36 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tharte36 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tharte36 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tharte36 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tharte36 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
They drink alot my 10 month old twins go thru a 12.4 Oz can of powder a day. If you are not brand loyal you can just get a couple week supply and watch for deals. But I alot of it depends on the baby. Mine refuse baby food or anything else I would have to feed them. If they can't pick it up and eat it they ain't eating it. So I think they drink more formula then my others did. And you can give them formula past a year old so if you did have extra you can use it up. The stork will not take it back if you give it formula after a year.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tharte36 For This Useful Post:
  #3  
Old 01-05-2013, 04:55 PM

RE: Planning to feed baby...Would like some input

bigdogmom187's Avatar
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 605
My Mood/Status:
bigdogmom187 has posted more than 300 great deals!bigdogmom187 has posted more than 300 great deals!bigdogmom187 has posted more than 300 great deals!bigdogmom187 has posted more than 300 great deals!
Ok first off you need to plan on 12 months of formula not six. Baby's aren't supposed to have cows milk till 12 months of age. Next up, depending on how many bottles per day your giving you need to figure out how many ounces that is, but remember that over time they will eat more, but just as frequently for a long while. We only supplemented 1-2 bottles a day, and still went through more than 20 containers. (No clue exactly how many because I quit counting.)
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigdogmom187 For This Useful Post:
  #4  
Old 01-05-2013, 05:21 PM

RE: Planning to feed baby...Would like some input

ctacktor's Avatar
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: TX
Posts: 1,620
My Mood/Status:
ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
It really depends on the kid. My son went through formula like a little piggy, but my daughter on the other hand does not drink near as much (she's still very healthy weight). I try to keep an extra 3 or 4 big containers on hand until I get more formula checks and another great deal comes along. I stocked diapers and wipes, but I don't so much with formula.
__________________
One man, one wife, one precious little man, and one perfect little princess
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ctacktor For This Useful Post:
  #5  
Old 01-05-2013, 07:49 PM

RE: Planning to feed baby...Would like some input

bluegoddess's Avatar
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Super Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 303
bluegoddess has posted more than 400 great deals!bluegoddess has posted more than 400 great deals!bluegoddess has posted more than 400 great deals!bluegoddess has posted more than 400 great deals!bluegoddess has posted more than 400 great deals!
I have no advice to give, but I have to say this: I read the title of this thread and said, "Well gosh, I hope she's planning to feed the baby!!! What other option is there?!?!?!". LOL... Just being sassy
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluegoddess For This Useful Post:
  #6  
Old 01-05-2013, 08:08 PM

RE: Planning to feed baby...Would like some input

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 301
atev has posted more than 400 great deals!atev has posted more than 400 great deals!atev has posted more than 400 great deals!atev has posted more than 400 great deals!atev has posted more than 400 great deals!
I breastfed all 4 of my children so I really don't have much input. But I think you should be careful buying too much until you're certain that your little one doesn't have any sensitivities to particular brands or types of forula.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to atev For This Useful Post:
  #7  
Old 01-05-2013, 08:11 PM

RE: Planning to feed baby...Would like some input

ctacktor's Avatar
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: TX
Posts: 1,620
My Mood/Status:
ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by atev
I breastfed all 4 of my children so I really don't have much input. But I think you should be careful buying too much until you're certain that your little one doesn't have any sensitivities to particular brands or types of forula.
Good point! My daughter is 4 months old, been on the same formula the entire time and we just recently found that she has a reflux problem (long story, but she doesn't spit up so we didn't know). Anyways, if her medicine doesn't fix the problem we will have to change her formula.
__________________
One man, one wife, one precious little man, and one perfect little princess
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ctacktor For This Useful Post:
  #8  
Old 01-05-2013, 11:24 PM

RE: Planning to feed baby...Would like some input

missdanalu's Avatar
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 12,314
My Mood/Status:
missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
It definitely depends on the kid. I know my older two kiddos drank a lot more but, considering their ages, I don't remember how much per week.
Penny would only drink 4oz at a time even through 12 months. She would go through one Ready to Feed bottle per day or one 22oz tub per week (we used both). That's what I based my shopping/stockpiling on.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to missdanalu For This Useful Post:
  #9  
Old 01-05-2013, 11:28 PM

RE: Planning to feed baby...Would like some input

missdanalu's Avatar
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 12,314
My Mood/Status:
missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctacktor View Post

Good point! My daughter is 4 months old, been on the same formula the entire time and we just recently found that she has a reflux problem (long story, but she doesn't spit up so we didn't know). Anyways, if her medicine doesn't fix the problem we will have to change her formula.
Penny never spit up either. She would also cry every night from 6-8 pm. She used Similac Soy and I swore she had reflux. Pediatrician said no, just feed her less more often, and we also used the Bio Gaia Probiotic (I think that's the name, maybe Pro Gaia) for a month. Worked like a charm - never had any further issues.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to missdanalu For This Useful Post:
  #10  
Old 01-06-2013, 01:13 AM

RE: Planning to feed baby...Would like some input

CountryCouponCowgirl's Avatar
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,206
My Mood/Status:
CountryCouponCowgirl has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!CountryCouponCowgirl has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!CountryCouponCowgirl has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!CountryCouponCowgirl has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!CountryCouponCowgirl has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!CountryCouponCowgirl has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!CountryCouponCowgirl has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
My lil one (not rly mine) but started with breastfeeding. & the started on formula. Used parents choice. That's what the dr recommended. & spit up galore!!! So switched to parents choice sensitive? I don't remember. Supposed to help. But the problem was it started making her constipated. So that was a huge issue! Most sensitive formulas have high fructose corn syrup in it. Which I'm not the baby's mom. But personally I was against it because it can lead to obesity later in life & mess up their taste buds where they'll want unhealthy food. Gerber sensitive is the only one without!!! So baby used that for a lil while. Well now she's using similac original because we get it free. & it's worked the best out of all. That & the gerber. The baby doesn't eat. She snacks. & eats like 2-4oz at a time. Occasionally she'll be really hungry & tries eating 5oz but usually ends up spitting it up. I don't let her pig out. I make her wait n digest it. Idk how much she goes through. No idea. Cause shes never in one spot. Out of town on weekends. My house during the week. Home at night.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-06-2013, 03:11 AM

RE: Planning to feed baby...Would like some input

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 78
couponmom_123 has posted more than 50 good deals
Quote:
Originally Posted by tratra
Ok, we got the little munchkin home and he's doing well. I'm a planner and a stockpiler, so we already had loads of diapers, wipes, and baby products before he was born. What we held off on buying was formula. I've never had one of these creatures of my own, so I have no idea how much formula I need to budget for over the next 6 months. I've checked different baby sites and formula sites and they all seem to have different info. So...

Those of you who fed your babies formula from the beginning, could you give me an idea of how much/how often you had to buy it? We've been getting the 22 oz tubs and he's been going through about 1 a week. But he's still just a little bitty thing and isn't eating more than 3 or 4 ounces at a time. I expect he'll need more soon. I'd like to stock up as there are sales, but I don't want to get to much and have numerous tubs on hand when he switches off of the formula.

Thanks!
Dnt stockpile until u know that which formula is best for ur baby. U can get cheap formula by using $$ off n % off coupons n checks n formula coupons at CVS. Good luck.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to couponmom_123 For This Useful Post:
  #12  
Old 01-06-2013, 09:12 AM

RE: Planning to feed baby...Would like some input

missdanalu's Avatar
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 12,314
My Mood/Status:
missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by couponmom_123 View Post

Dnt stockpile until u know that which formula is best for ur baby. U can get cheap formula by using $$ off n % off coupons n checks n formula coupons at CVS. Good luck.
I definitely agree with buying at CVS - combining MQ, checks, $/$$ and % off coupons (with no stacking - didn't know about it then!) I got 12 months worth for less than $50!

I started stockpiling formula in February and I was due in May - she was my 3rd so I was confident about the formula type and lucked out when it was the tight type
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to missdanalu For This Useful Post:
  #13  
Old 01-06-2013, 10:17 AM

RE: Planning to feed baby...Would like some input

tratra's Avatar
Lift while you climb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: TN
Posts: 9,625
My Mood/Status:
tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Thanks everybody for all the great tips and suggestions! I appreciate your sharing your experiences.

I was wondering about using coupons with the formula checks. I didn't know that was an option. I can see where CVS will be one of the cheapest places to get it with all the different discounts you can use there. And the formula would be regular price most of the time, so those %-off coupons would work great. Thanks so much for pointing that out.


What some of you mentioned about not stocking up to much was my main concern before he was born. If he doesn't tolerate a certain kind any more, we may end up with too much. I think I'll plan on just having a few at a time on hand and chasing deals as we need to get more.



Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom187 View Post
Ok first off you need to plan on 12 months of formula not six. Baby's aren't supposed to have cows milk till 12 months of age. Next up, depending on how many bottles per day your giving you need to figure out how many ounces that is, but remember that over time they will eat more, but just as frequently for a long while. We only supplemented 1-2 bottles a day, and still went through more than 20 containers. (No clue exactly how many because I quit counting.)
Thanks! I figured after 6 months, I'd switch him over to Diet Pepsi.
Just joking! We've been kicking around the idea of feeding just formula until he's about 7-8 months (he's a little over 1 now) and then switching to or supplementing with goat's milk after that. We have goats and have access to more milk than he'd ever be able to drink. It's a controversial decision and I need to talk to a nutritionist about the exact recipe to make it as nutritionally sound as formula and decide the timing from there.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoddess View Post
I have no advice to give, but I have to say this: I read the title of this thread and said, "Well gosh, I hope she's planning to feed the baby!!! What other option is there?!?!?!". LOL... Just being sassy
LOL!
Sometimes it does take planning. I'll be working and he'll start fussing and I'll think, Goodness, why is that baby fussing so much? Then I'll realize he's hungry-- AGAIN! I'm glad he's a pretty vocal little pipsqueak!
__________________

DELTA region for Kroger stores


Are you looking for a way to give back to this great community?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-06-2013, 10:22 AM

RE: Planning to feed baby...Would like some input

tratra's Avatar
Lift while you climb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: TN
Posts: 9,625
My Mood/Status:
tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctacktor View Post
Good point! My daughter is 4 months old, been on the same formula the entire time and we just recently found that she has a reflux problem (long story, but she doesn't spit up so we didn't know). Anyways, if her medicine doesn't fix the problem we will have to change her formula.
I'm interested in this...How does the reflux work if she's not spitting up? Poor baby! That would make life so miserable if her tummy grumbled every time she ate.
__________________

DELTA region for Kroger stores


Are you looking for a way to give back to this great community?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-06-2013, 10:32 AM

RE: Planning to feed baby...Would like some input

ctacktor's Avatar
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: TX
Posts: 1,620
My Mood/Status:
ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tratra

I'm interested in this...How does the reflux work if she's not spitting up? Poor baby! That would make life so miserable if her tummy grumbled every time she ate.
She has had a constant cough after feeding and at night since she was just under a month old. Her pediatrician said this can happen when a baby has reflux even if the baby does not spit up. She has no other sickness symptoms. We have "tracked" her coughing and when it occurs and it is typically only for 45 minutes after feeding and while she is sleeping. I would have never made this connection, but so far the "reflux" solutions seem to be making an improvement. We just started her on rice cereal at night based on the pediatrician's recommendation and that has been the most beneficial. If the medicine ends up working we won't have to change her formula, but I it doesn't we will have to put her on something different. I really hope this helps her because I feel so bad every time that she has her coughing spells.
__________________
One man, one wife, one precious little man, and one perfect little princess
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ctacktor For This Useful Post:
  #16  
Old 01-06-2013, 12:06 PM

RE: Planning to feed baby...Would like some input

tratra's Avatar
Lift while you climb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: TN
Posts: 9,625
My Mood/Status:
tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
That sounds so uncomfortable. Your pediatrician is really on the ball. Who would have thought that coughing would indicate reflux? I'd never have put just the two of those together. I so hope that the cereal keeps helping her!
__________________

DELTA region for Kroger stores


Are you looking for a way to give back to this great community?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-06-2013, 02:05 PM

RE: Planning to feed baby...Would like some input

bigdogmom187's Avatar
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 605
My Mood/Status:
bigdogmom187 has posted more than 300 great deals!bigdogmom187 has posted more than 300 great deals!bigdogmom187 has posted more than 300 great deals!bigdogmom187 has posted more than 300 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tratra
Thanks everybody for all the great tips and suggestions! I appreciate your sharing your experiences.

I was wondering about using coupons with the formula checks. I didn't know that was an option. I can see where CVS will be one of the cheapest places to get it with all the different discounts you can use there. And the formula would be regular price most of the time, so those %-off coupons would work great. Thanks so much for pointing that out.

What some of you mentioned about not stocking up to much was my main concern before he was born. If he doesn't tolerate a certain kind any more, we may end up with too much. I think I'll plan on just having a few at a time on hand and chasing deals as we need to get more.

Thanks! I figured after 6 months, I'd switch him over to Diet Pepsi.
Just joking! We've been kicking around the idea of feeding just formula until he's about 7-8 months (he's a little over 1 now) and then switching to or supplementing with goat's milk after that. We have goats and have access to more milk than he'd ever be able to drink. It's a controversial decision and I need to talk to a nutritionist about the exact recipe to make it as nutritionally sound as formula and decide the timing from there.

LOL!
Sometimes it does take planning. I'll be working and he'll start fussing and I'll think, Goodness, why is that baby fussing so much? Then I'll realize he's hungry-- AGAIN! I'm glad he's a pretty vocal little pipsqueak!
Bahaha! Sorry I didn't mean for that to come off snarky. I had recently run into about a zillion people recently who truly thought you can only BF or FF till six months then you MUST switch to cows milk or they will die. (Seriously was told that line of BS in the pediatricians waiting room by another mother! (Yes I called over the nurse and turned her *** in to the Dr for that BS Oh and did I mention her 7 month old was in for being crazy sick and pretty obviously underweight? Yah the woman was an idiot! ))but after hearing it so much recently I probably jumped your case I'm sorry.

Also I have heard of the goats milk thing, sounds great if you have access (sounds like you do with the goats ) That's also supposed to be great for lactose intolerant adults too if I remember correctly? Anyway sorry I was an *** but the diet Pepsi comeback was EPIC!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigdogmom187 For This Useful Post:
  #18  
Old 01-06-2013, 02:37 PM

RE: Planning to feed baby...Would like some input

missdanalu's Avatar
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 12,314
My Mood/Status:
missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tratra View Post

I'm interested in this...How does the reflux work if she's not spitting up? Poor baby! That would make life so miserable if her tummy grumbled every time she ate.
There's also such thing as silent reflux - the baby doesn't spit up so it's harder to diagnose.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to missdanalu For This Useful Post:
  #19  
Old 01-06-2013, 03:22 PM

RE: Planning to feed baby...Would like some input

tratra's Avatar
Lift while you climb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: TN
Posts: 9,625
My Mood/Status:
tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom187 View Post
Bahaha! Sorry I didn't mean for that to come off snarky. I had recently run into about a zillion people recently who truly thought you can only BF or FF till six months then you MUST switch to cows milk or they will die. (Seriously was told that line of BS in the pediatricians waiting room by another mother! (Yes I called over the nurse and turned her *** in to the Dr for that BS Oh and did I mention her 7 month old was in for being crazy sick and pretty obviously underweight? Yah the woman was an idiot! ))but after hearing it so much recently I probably jumped your case I'm sorry.

Also I have heard of the goats milk thing, sounds great if you have access (sounds like you do with the goats ) That's also supposed to be great for lactose intolerant adults too if I remember correctly? Anyway sorry I was an *** but the diet Pepsi comeback was EPIC!
Nah, I didn't read it as snarky. I laughed cause there are so may ways to do this. It seems like what was standard for one generation is now completely "wrong" according to all the different moms and experts out there, and you can get so much different information just from asking questions. I absolutely love it that people have so many tips and tricks-- and they work for their babies.

I hadn't heard about a trend of switching to cows milk at 6 months. I wonder if people are doing that because of the cost of formula. But if cost is an issue, can't almost anybody who is in need get WIC for the baby? So maybe that isn't it. I hope people do step up like you did and say something. Those poor babies' brains won't develop well if they're malnourished.

Your comment made me stop and think though about the timeframes for all this baby stuff. There is a lot to remember when you're trying to make sure you're doing best for these little buggers. From what I've read, we have to be careful with using the goat's milk so early. If we don't do it right and supplement well, it can lead to malnutrition too.


What else made me stop and think was the post above about high fructose corn syrup being in formula. I haven't looked at the ingredients on any of the types we've tried but I'm going to tonight.
__________________

DELTA region for Kroger stores


Are you looking for a way to give back to this great community?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-06-2013, 05:00 PM

RE: Planning to feed baby...Would like some input

Goddessoflubbock's Avatar
exhausted
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,376
My Mood/Status:
Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
We ended up putting DD on Carnation Good Start. She didn't tolerate what WIC offered. The WIC people gave me grief for not bf her, I said please read your records! She's my granddaughter, biologically

A big problem is all these weight conscious moms feeding their kids low fat milk. Children need fat for their brains to grow. Personally I like my babies to have some fat on them. DD was a chunky monkey. Now she's 13, wears a 0/1.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goddessoflubbock For This Useful Post:
  #21  
Old 01-06-2013, 07:05 PM

RE: Planning to feed baby...Would like some input

bigdogmom187's Avatar
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 605
My Mood/Status:
bigdogmom187 has posted more than 300 great deals!bigdogmom187 has posted more than 300 great deals!bigdogmom187 has posted more than 300 great deals!bigdogmom187 has posted more than 300 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tratra

Nah, I didn't read it as snarky. I laughed cause there are so may ways to do this. It seems like what was standard for one generation is now completely "wrong" according to all the different moms and experts out there, and you can get so much different information just from asking questions. I absolutely love it that people have so many tips and tricks-- and they work for their babies.

I hadn't heard about a trend of switching to cows milk at 6 months. I wonder if people are doing that because of the cost of formula. But if cost is an issue, can't almost anybody who is in need get WIC for the baby? So maybe that isn't it. I hope people do step up like you did and say something. Those poor babies' brains won't develop well if they're malnourished.

Your comment made me stop and think though about the timeframes for all this baby stuff. There is a lot to remember when you're trying to make sure you're doing best for these little buggers. From what I've read, we have to be careful with using the goat's milk so early. If we don't do it right and supplement well, it can lead to malnutrition too.

What else made me stop and think was the post above about high fructose corn syrup being in formula. I haven't looked at the ingredients on any of the types we've tried but I'm going to tonight.
Yah no we don't qualify for WIC by (totally not kidding) 0.43 a month. Yah. There are a LOT of people who fall between the cracks around here. And I do think that might be why I'm hearing about kids starting solids and cows milk sooo much younger than what is recommended. It is complicated trying to stay up to date on avert thing for our wee ones. And even harder to do it sometimes, but totally worth it!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigdogmom187 For This Useful Post:
  #22  
Old 01-06-2013, 07:38 PM

RE: Planning to feed baby...Would like some input

keoughrn's Avatar
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,523
My Mood/Status:
keoughrn has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!keoughrn has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!keoughrn has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!keoughrn has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!keoughrn has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!keoughrn has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!keoughrn has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!keoughrn has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!keoughrn has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!keoughrn has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!keoughrn has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom187

Yah no we don't qualify for WIC by (totally not kidding) 0.43 a month. Yah. There are a LOT of people who fall between the cracks around here. And I do think that might be why I'm hearing about kids starting solids and cows milk sooo much younger than what is recommended. It is complicated trying to stay up to date on avert thing for our wee ones. And even harder to do it sometimes, but totally worth it!
Parents choice ( walmarts brand ) is pretty comparable to sale prices. And coupons are available if you ask. May be worth trying
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keoughrn For This Useful Post:
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How long did you/are you feed/ing your baby formula? angel nee nee Let's Play Doctor 14 10-21-2008 05:48 AM
I'm scared to feed my baby table food! babyrn Parenting/PTA 56 05-09-2008 03:23 AM
Where to find Baby change/feed Timer garrett Cry For Help! - DONE 8 10-01-2007 05:53 PM

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2