What Is The Best Humidifier To Buy Cool/warm Mist? Need For Toddlers Bedroom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 10:34 PM
sleepy

My Mood/Status:
sunkistbaby has posted more than 300 great deals!sunkistbaby has posted more than 300 great deals!sunkistbaby has posted more than 300 great deals!sunkistbaby has posted more than 300 great deals!
What is the best humidifier to buy cool/warm mist? Need for toddlers bedroom

I was told to invest in a warm mist with microban humidifier. I need to buy two of them for my toddlers rooms as they without fail get sick at the same time . What's the difference between the cool and warm? I had a cool mist one that worked fine but no longer works. A friend of mine got one at buy buy baby that has both cool and warm mist and they paid about $100 plus ( they no longer carry that model) this might be too much esp since I have to buy two of them. I'm open to suggestions as far as brands. Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to sunkistbaby For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 03-06-2012, 11:47 PM

RE: What is the best humidifier to buy cool/warm mist? Need for toddlers bedroom

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Dice Chick

My Mood/Status:
heather12004 has posted more than 50 good deals
I have been using the cool mist one in my daughters room since birth and shes 5 now and still has one in her room. Theres also one in my bedroom and sons as well. Right now we are using 2 Vicks brand ones and a gerber one. The gerber one was on clearance at Walmart so I figured I'd give it a try with good results. I've always loved the vicks brand. Cool ones are cheaper than warm mist ones. Both raise the humidity level in the room. Warm ones do release a hot steam so you must be careful with small kids around. Warm mist ones can use medicine like vicks vapor steam, but they have to be cleaned more often. Cool ones cannot and do not need the regular cleaning. My gerber brand one can be put right into the dishwasher!! Cool ones can make the room feel colder and clammy, depending on the temp of the room. Warm ones can make the air seem heavier when you breath (think sauna). Warm is good for cold and flu. Cool is good for allergies, nasal issues, the sniffles and snoring.
I hope this helps and I didn't ramble on and on... Lol.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:50 PM

RE: What is the best humidifier to buy cool/warm mist? Need for toddlers bedroom

sleepy

My Mood/Status:
sunkistbaby has posted more than 300 great deals!sunkistbaby has posted more than 300 great deals!sunkistbaby has posted more than 300 great deals!sunkistbaby has posted more than 300 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by heather12004
I have been using the cool mist one in my daughters room since birth and shes 5 now and still has one in her room. Theres also one in my bedroom and sons as well. Right now we are using 2 Vicks brand ones and a gerber one. The gerber one was on clearance at Walmart so I figured I'd give it a try with good results. I've always loved the vicks brand. Cool ones are cheaper than warm mist ones. Both raise the humidity level in the room. Warm ones do release a hot steam so you must be careful with small kids around. Warm mist ones can use medicine like vicks vapor steam, but they have to be cleaned more often. Cool ones cannot and do not need the regular cleaning. My gerber brand one can be put right into the dishwasher!! Cool ones can make the room feel colder and clammy, depending on the temp of the room. Warm ones can make the air seem heavier when you breath (think sauna). Warm is good for cold and flu. Cool is good for allergies, nasal issues, the sniffles and snoring.
I hope this helps and I didn't ramble on and on... Lol.
Heather thank you! It does help!
Old 03-09-2012, 12:13 AM

EmmaRJ has posted more than 5 good deals
I've tried both and highly prefer hot steam to warm mist or cool mist but the impression I got from everything I've read is that hot steam is somehow less sanitary. Perhaps if you live in an already humid climate you'll only encourage mold growth. And of course hot steam could be dangerous around littles.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EmmaRJ For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2012, 06:14 AM

Deneise

My Mood/Status:
deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Be certain to get one that is not only easy to clean, but comes with a replaceable filter. We had to throw ours out when we found out that it was actually making my son's asthma worse because the filter was clogged with mold. (Vick's brand - cool mist) We made certain we were cleaning all the removable parts daily, but we didn't realize that the filter inside was not getting cleaned because we could not see it. Now we are looking for a new one as well.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:44 AM

My Mood/Status:
Sunbear has posted more than 300 great deals!Sunbear has posted more than 300 great deals!Sunbear has posted more than 300 great deals!Sunbear has posted more than 300 great deals!
I do not like the ones with the filters because of the mold problems. I use an ultrasonic cool mist humidifier shaped like a penguin I bought at Target. They come in many animal shapes, but I like the penguin best because it holds more water than some of the other shapes.

I always thought cool mist were prefered. Who recommended a warm mist?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sunbear For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2012, 11:09 AM

Grounded for Life

1AK has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!1AK has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!1AK has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!1AK has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!1AK has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!1AK has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!1AK has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!1AK has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Put me down as an inquiring mind wanting to know, too !! Just started looking at these and lots of choices.. glad for any/all input !
The Following User Says Thank You to 1AK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2012, 08:05 PM

sleepy

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbear View Post
I do not like the ones with the filters because of the mold problems. I use an ultrasonic cool mist humidifier shaped like a penguin I bought at Target. They come in many animal shapes, but I like the penguin best because it holds more water than some of the other shapes.

I always thought cool mist were prefered. Who recommended a warm mist?
Out pediatrician ( sometime last year ) recommended a warm mist treated with microban humidifier. Dh had asked as she was walking out the door and that is what she said.I"m guessing because we would do steam therapy ( from the shower) to help with the croup) We had taken ds in for his bad croupy cough. He gets really bad croup and has a few times steroids because he had it bad. I know she said he will eventually outgrown this . He got sick again in january and is sick now but he didnt get that croupy cough (i'm thinking he might be outgrowing it now he's 4) My dd who is 1yr old bedroom gets warm since its small and i'm guessing a cool mist one should be fine. I dont know .. All I know is that I want to buy a good one but not crazy expensive since I need two of them. My dd always gets very stuffy nose then runny and ds always has runny nose, ( i'm thinking he might be getting allergies too.) I didnt know they both ( warm, cool) hellped with different things.

Last edited by sunkistbaby; 03-09-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:22 PM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
sweety33 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sweety33 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sweety33 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sweety33 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sweety33 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sweety33 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sweety33 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sweety33 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sweety33 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sweety33 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sweety33 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkistbaby View Post
Out pediatrician ( sometime last year ) recommended a warm mist treated with microban humidifier. Dh had asked as she was walking out the door and that is what she said.I"m guessing because we would do steam therapy ( from the shower) to help with the croup) We had taken ds in for his bad croupy cough. He gets really bad croup and has a few times steroids because he had it bad. I know she said he will eventually outgrown this . He got sick again in january and is sick now but he didnt get that croupy cough (i'm thinking he might be outgrowing it now he's 4) My dd who is 1yr old bedroom gets warm since its small and i'm guessing a cool mist one should be fine. I dont know .. All I know is that I want to buy a good one but not crazy expensive since I need two of them. My dd always gets very stuffy nose then runny and ds always has runny nose, ( i'm thinking he might be getting allergies too.) I didnt know they both ( warm, cool) hellped with different things.
my oldest had croup also is now 14 and i am so thankfull he has not been sick in i would say 2 yrs, i have tried all kinds of humidifiers and about 3 yrs ago i bought vicks humidifier
Vicks V425 Pediatric Cool Mist Humidifier 1.2 Gallon
and also u add the vicks cough suppresant
Amazon.com: Vicks VapoSteam Cough Suppressant, Camphor, 8 oz.: Health & Personal Care
not sure if the links will show but if u pm me i can send u the links...
this worked wonderfully whenever he got sick, he now takes vitamin c everyday faithfully and eats veggies and fruits well balanced diet, covers his mouth when he goes outside and it's old, he would get sick at least 6-10 times a yr with that terrible cough i felt so bad... i am so thankfull he has not been sick in a while, though this has worked for him, it is worth a shot to try... the vitamin c will help prevent them from getting full blown croup... those steroids are terrible for our babies... if u have any ? feel free to pm me i have dealt with this since he was 6 months...

Last edited by sweety33; 03-09-2012 at 08:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sweety33 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2012, 06:05 PM

My Mood/Status:
nina1234 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!nina1234 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!nina1234 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!nina1234 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!nina1234 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!nina1234 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Brookstone has one that weve had for a few yrs now. Reslly good.

Sent from my iPod touch using AFullCup
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wife to my best friend
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to nina1234 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2012, 02:41 PM

love for savings
Organic Coupon Saver

My Mood/Status:
c5dcc has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!c5dcc has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!c5dcc has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!c5dcc has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!c5dcc has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!c5dcc has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!c5dcc has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!c5dcc has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!c5dcc has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
my son has asthma we have the cool mist .. we had different doctores tell me dfferent things prefer this over the warm .. being the warm you COULDN"T clean..

good luck being no one is easy to find i got the penquin too he wants the polarbear .. there are different ones !

do your reseach find one that you like.. we have to have them MN winter, spring, fall ect.. bloddy noses and astham .

PLEASE TAPE THE ENVELOPES ON THE BOTTOM AND THE SEALS. BEING THEY HAVE COME OPENNED & DAMAGED. THERE IS NOTHING THE P.O. CAN DO. EVERYTHING GOES THROUGH MACHINES. THANKS
The Following User Says Thank You to c5dcc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2012, 08:34 PM

sleepy

My Mood/Status:
Still haven't been able to buy any for the kids. Had to hold off as both cars decided to have problems and need new tires all four on one and brakes on the other and a new battery. sighhh
I"m back on the hunt for a cool mist one and i'm thinking in maybe investing in one that I can do both cool/warm. Any sales/deals going on? Thanks again been out of the couponing loop for some time.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:48 PM

Fighting the economy one coupon at a time!

My Mood/Status:
Mommy2McKenna has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Mommy2McKenna has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Mommy2McKenna has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Mommy2McKenna has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Mommy2McKenna has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Mommy2McKenna has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Mommy2McKenna has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Mommy2McKenna has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Mommy2McKenna has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Mommy2McKenna has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Mommy2McKenna has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Both my kids have croup right now, yet they are sleeping peacefully with my Crane cool mist humidifier going. They are pricey, but VERY worth it! It also does not use a filter so no need to keep replacing them. It is fairly easy to clean as well using a bottle brush. I don't know how we went as long as we did without it. Plus, the kids love it because I got the dragon one and it is very cute.
and 3 year old
, and professional
!

Couponing my way through med school!
Old 03-30-2012, 08:51 PM

Fighting the economy one coupon at a time!

My Mood/Status:
Mommy2McKenna has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Mommy2McKenna has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Mommy2McKenna has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Mommy2McKenna has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Mommy2McKenna has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Mommy2McKenna has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Mommy2McKenna has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Mommy2McKenna has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Mommy2McKenna has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Mommy2McKenna has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Mommy2McKenna has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkistbaby View Post
My kids have had (and currently have!) croup many times. Our pediatrician says warm mist/steam can actually make the cough worse. Cool air/mist actually shrinks the capillaries in the lungs which makes breathing easier while having the croup. Our ped even recommended during bad coughing spells to open the freezer or go outside if it is cool and expose the child to the cool air for a few minutes to break up a bad coughing episode to let them catch their breath again. That has always worked like a charm.

It is weird how all pediatricians/doctors have different opinions.
and 3 year old
, and professional
!

Couponing my way through med school!
Old 03-30-2012, 09:06 PM

Couponing for my Camper!

My Mood/Status:
dsaenz6 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dsaenz6 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dsaenz6 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dsaenz6 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dsaenz6 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dsaenz6 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dsaenz6 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dsaenz6 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dsaenz6 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dsaenz6 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dsaenz6 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
My son has croup he's had it a little while , I had never heard of this before my girls never had it I did use a cool humidifier but his croup is still the same ..

Old 04-02-2012, 12:32 PM

My Mood/Status:
Lacinda has posted more than 50 good deals
We only use warm mist (don't need or want any more cold in the house in the middle of winter in Iowa and I don't like dealing with filters) and just love the Holmes brand one that we have. Was looking for another just like it and found an identical one by Sunbeam. I just looked on both websites and don't see a picture of the ones that we have. The first one we bought we've had six years or so. The last one we've had three years.