Found Bugs In My Oatmeal What Would You Do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 01:00 PM
sleepy

My Mood/Status:
sunkistbaby has posted more than 300 great deals!sunkistbaby has posted more than 300 great deals!sunkistbaby has posted more than 300 great deals!sunkistbaby has posted more than 300 great deals!
Question Found bugs in my oatmeal What would you do?

So this morning I was going to make my 4yr old some oatmeal. I normally give him the instant maple sugar packets( for the flavor) and then I grab some of the Quaker oats oatmeal and mix it up. When I grabbed some to put in his bowl I noticed two small black things on the side of the can , wasn't sure what it was. As I was mixing up his oatmeal together I saw a few little black things and pulled them out. I realized they were small bugs. I then looked back at the can and saw more and some crawling up. This can I had just opened up on Thursday because I was making oatmeal cookies. I had finished up another can and was short one cup of oatmeal so opened this one up, scooped up one cup and put the lid back on. Today was the second time I opened it up to make the oatmeal, so its a fairly new can. I bought this sometime last year on a deal at jewels and it says its still good untill April 12, 2012. It was sealed tightly as I was the one that opened it up so no concern that it wasn't sealed tight.
I'm so grossed out and wanted to march back into Jewel but dh says I need to call Quaker oats.
I"m grossed out and shocked and not sure what to do. Grossed otu that I used a cup of it on thursday to make my kids their oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Ugh What would you do?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunkistbaby For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 03-03-2012, 01:10 PM

RE: Found bugs in my oatmeal What would you do?

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Climb the stairs of life and never look back.....

My Mood/Status:
marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
That is gross, I would definately call the company, heck I wouldn't blame you if you afraid to buy that again for awhile. You never know, you might get some good q's out of it and they should know about it also. Even w/ sealed cans and decent exp dates, cereals, flour and oats are more perishable even w/ sealed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing." Clive James
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wife to Tony
and mom of DS 7 yrs
and 2 yr old DS
"If the TRUTH makes you uncomfortable, you may want to ask yourself why this is so?"
The Following User Says Thank You to marnimae For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2012, 01:23 PM

sleepy

My Mood/Status:
sunkistbaby has posted more than 300 great deals!sunkistbaby has posted more than 300 great deals!sunkistbaby has posted more than 300 great deals!sunkistbaby has posted more than 300 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marnimae View Post
That is gross, I would definately call the company, heck I wouldn't blame you if you afraid to buy that again for awhile. You never know, you might get some good q's out of it and they should know about it also. Even w/ sealed cans and decent exp dates, cereals, flour and oats are more perishable even w/ sealed.
I"ll have to look for the number on the container, do you think I should wait till monday? NOt sure if they would be working today Saturday or tomorrow Sunday.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:35 PM

Missing you all
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I would definitely call the Company on Monday...its not the stores fault in this matter, but let us know what they say please, good luck.......
The Following User Says Thank You to Drea For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2012, 03:33 PM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
birdlady6262 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!birdlady6262 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!birdlady6262 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!birdlady6262 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!birdlady6262 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!birdlady6262 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!birdlady6262 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!birdlady6262 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!birdlady6262 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!birdlady6262 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!birdlady6262 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
Let us know how it turns out with Quaker. This can be disgusting but those little critters are in a lot of our food, starting as eggs. The eggs were likely in the oats and hatched after it was sealed. Check your other food items to see if they transfered to any other food items you many have. I'm hopeful that they did not and you caught it early on.

I try to place rice, cereal, flour, etc. in the freezer for about 24 hrs. when I plan to store it for a bit. I also place most of my food items in plastic containers.

I am no expert of this but read somewhere if you can puncture a package with the tip of an ink pen, weavels and other critters can also. For those of us that try to stock up on items we regularly use, this can be a disaster if these critters transfer throughout our entire pantry.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to birdlady6262 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2012, 08:39 PM

sleepy

My Mood/Status:
I will def let you all know what they say Monday.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:26 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
i hope you tossed the cookies...i know i would.
The Following User Says Thank You to bethaliz6894 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2012, 09:43 AM

sleepy

My Mood/Status:
Ok so I called the company this morning and explained to them what happened. She was nice, apologized and asked me for some info, where I bought it, upc code, exp and number on the container. It was a pretty short conversation as she said that it could of been contaminated anywhere in the process of transportation and with the information I gave here they can figure out what and where this could have happened. All she offered besides an apology was coupons. I " think" she said full value coupons but I'm not sure because my then 18month old started crying ( she's been sick and running a fever) and trying to climb on top of me to hold her. Anyways I asked if they wanted the container to examine it etc etc and she said no that I could toss it. So that was pretty much it.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:50 AM

My Mood/Status:
dolphinlubber has posted more than 10 good deals
Ewww, that is really disgusting. I would have done the same and contacted the company as well as brought it back to the store. I would have thought the company would have done something a bit more than a coupon As long as you are happy with the results!!
The Following User Says Thank You to dolphinlubber For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2012, 09:58 AM

keep on smyelin!

My Mood/Status:
bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Oatmeal often has bugs in it, as do cereal and many other food items. Believe it or not, there is actually an allowable amount of bugs that can be present in our food items. Don't read the following if you are grossed out easily.

You may be grossed out, but insects and mold in our food are not new. The F.D.A. actually condones a certain percentage of "natural contaminants" in our food supply - meaning, among other things, bugs, mold, rodent hairs and maggots.
In its (falsely) reassuringly subtitled booklet "The Food Defect Action Levels: Levels of Natural or Unavoidable Defects in Foods That Present No Health Hazards for Humans," the F.D.A.'s Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition establishes acceptable levels of such "defects" for a range of foods products, from allspice to peanut butter.
Among the booklet's list of allowable defects are "insect filth," "rodent filth" (both hair and excreta pellets), "mold," "insects," "mammalian excreta," "rot," "insects and larvae" (which is to say, maggots), "insects and mites," "insects and insect eggs," "drosophila fly," "sand and grit," "parasites," "mildew" and "foreign matter" (which includes "objectionable" items like "sticks, stones, burlap bagging, cigarette butts, etc.").
Tomato juice, for example, may average "10 or more fly eggs per 100 grams [the equivalent of a small juice glass] or five or more fly eggs and one or more maggots." Tomato paste and other pizza sauces are allowed a denser infestation - 30 or more fly eggs per 100 grams or 15 or more fly eggs and one or more maggots per 100 grams.
Canned mushrooms may have "over 20 or more maggots of any size per 100 grams of drained mushrooms and proportionate liquid" or "five or more maggots two millimeters or longer per 100 grams of drained mushrooms and proportionate liquid" or an "average of 75 mites" before provoking action by the F.D.A.
The sauerkraut on your hot dog may average up to 50 thrips. And when washing down those tiny, slender, winged bugs with a sip of beer, you might consider that just 10 grams of hops could have as many as 2,500 plant lice. Yum.
Giving new meaning to the idea of spicing up one's food, curry powder is allowed 100 or more bug bits per 25 grams; ground thyme up to 925 insect fragments per 10 grams; ground pepper up to 475 insect parts per 50 grams. One small shaker of cinnamon could have more than 20 rodent hairs before being considered defective.
Peanut butter - that culinary cause célèbre - may contain approximately 145 bug parts for an 18-ounce jar; or five or more rodent hairs for that same jar; or more than 125 milligrams of grit.
In case you're curious: you're probably ingesting one to two pounds of flies, maggots and mites each year without knowing it, a quantity of insects that clearly does not cut the mustard, even as insects may well be in the mustard.
The F.D.A. considers the significance of these defects to be "aesthetic" or "offensive to the senses," which is to say, merely icky as opposed to the "mouth/tooth injury" one risks with, for example, insufficiently pitted prunes. This policy is justified on economic grounds, stating that it is "impractical to grow, harvest or process raw products that are totally free of non-hazardous, naturally occurring, unavoidable defects."

Now, that being said, I would still contact the company. I am glad they offered coupons to you!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bette For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2012, 09:58 AM

sleepy

My Mood/Status:
Dolphinlubber I"m still grossed out too! I'm not happy with the results but what can I do right. I mean it's not like I expected them to give me money or anything. I too expected a bit more I dont know maybe a case of oatmeal. No I dont know honestly. I"m not one to really complain or a fighter. I can hold my own but when it comes to these things unless someone got sick then trust me I would be all over them letting them have it. But i'm just exhausted ( only 3 hours sleep) and having my 18 month old sick and clinging onto me just has me a bit drained today.

Last edited by sunkistbaby; 03-05-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:14 AM

marketmom has posted more than 200 great deals!marketmom has posted more than 200 great deals!marketmom has posted more than 200 great deals!
Hope you accepted the coupons, return the unused oatemeal to the store and get a refund, they'll be on your store card if you didn't keep receipt. Then go pick up your oatmeal at another store and immediately put contents in a sealed container.

Weevils are common in flour and dry boxed goods. I keep all that stuff in the refrigerator; or use plastic containers with airtight lids.
Dear Reader: How to get rid of flour weevils 11-24-04
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marketmom For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2012, 10:17 AM

sleepy

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by marketmom View Post
Hope you accepted the coupons, return the unused oatemeal to the store and get a refund, they'll be on your store card if you didn't keep receipt. Then go pick up your oatmeal at another store and immediately put contents in a sealed container.

Weevils are common in flour and dry boxed goods. I keep all that stuff in the refrigerator; or use plastic containers with airtight lids.
That's a good idea! Any suggestions on good airtight containers? Tia
Old 03-05-2012, 10:18 AM

sleepy

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by marketmom View Post

Yes I did accept the coupons
Old 03-05-2012, 04:48 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
my dad was in the navy and he said they had bugs in a lot of their food. he was in the navy in the early 60's. he said it was so bad at the end of the long 'cruises' that when you crushed the crackers for your soup, you could see them swimming. they ate the bugs...it was looked upon as extra protein.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:57 PM

lviars50 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!lviars50 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!lviars50 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!lviars50 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!lviars50 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!lviars50 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I freeze all Oatmeal,Ceral,Rice,Spaghetti & Macaroni Noodles. Flour,Cornmeal ,ETC as SOON as they are purchased & bought into the house for at least 24 hours...Yes even the mac & cheese box dinners ...anything i can think of to freeze before it is ever put into my stockpile...
The Following User Says Thank You to lviars50 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2012, 06:03 PM

GOONIES!
When it rains, it pours...

My Mood/Status:
Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I agree with the "freezers" in the group! Freezing anything like that kills the bugs/eggs that are already in the food when you buy it. As bette said, bugs are everywhere, we just don't realize it most of the time. But the freezing process (for 24 hrs, at least) kills anything that might be there. It also doesn't really matter what the expiration date shows as bugs are there from the start.

Gross... I know. Glad I ate dinner already.
(7), DS
(4), an 11yo
and a 6yo

Totally OCD. Luckily my DH is building me new stockpile shelves so I can more easily rearrange and reorganize my goodies!
Old 03-05-2012, 06:09 PM

My Mood/Status:
kstover0426 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kstover0426 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kstover0426 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kstover0426 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kstover0426 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kstover0426 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kstover0426 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kstover0426 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kstover0426 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kstover0426 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kstover0426 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
ewwww I'm so sorry!

Bette as grossed out as your post was, and as yucky as it made me feel I was laughing the whole time I was reading, you're too funny!
, and greatest daughter Carmen Lucy (2yrs)
!!! And the best miracles Jordan
and Jaxon
(1 yr old twins)
Old 03-05-2012, 06:22 PM

qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Agree with freezing. Also freeze flour.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:58 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Wizard2010 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Wizard2010 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Wizard2010 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Wizard2010 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Wizard2010 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Wizard2010 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Wizard2010 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
It sounds like you have your hands full. The only thing I will add is about the containers. I love the Lock & Lock brand. Or Kohls has a brand that has a green rim. These containers have like a hinge on all four sides, with a rubber grip thing in the center. I have found that chips, candy, cereal, almost anything stays so much fresher when using these. I can put brownies in them and stay really soft for up to a week. (They don't normally last any longer than that). They come in all sorts of handy sizes. You can freeze and microwave in them too.
Hope the baby feels better soon.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:39 PM

Team Free Will!!
AFC Forum Leader for Target

2014 YTD Savings: $7500.00
My Mood/Status:
Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkistbaby View Post
That's a good idea! Any suggestions on good airtight containers? Tia
I bought a 4 set of canisters from a friend who sells Tupperware. They are a bit pricey but they seal up great and look really nice to boot! Love them!! HTH!

Single mother to dd
12 and trying to
work, couponing, housework, and my sweet girl.

Come join us at the
forum!
Old 03-06-2012, 06:24 PM

My Mood/Status:
missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethaliz6894
i hope you tossed the cookies...i know i would.
Literally and figuratively (sorry!)

I have a ton of cereal. I didn't freeze it. I'm so skeeved out right now. Wish I had known that freezing trick before!

I once found worms in Progresso Bread Crumbs. I could actually feel them moving around just holding the container. It makes me dry heave just remembering them.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:56 PM

SocialPrincess has posted more than 100 good deals!SocialPrincess has posted more than 100 good deals!
Yea but even with freezing they are still in your food! I don't even want to eat freezed bug eggs. I rather not freeze and see them so I don't eat them.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:46 PM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Put a dried bay leaf in anything you fear may be a problem. I put it in my flour and bread crumbs as soon as I get it home from the store. Also in pastas that will hang around awhile, like pastina which we have rarely and never a full box. Oh and in my rice too.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:01 PM

Loving my baaaaabies
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
LuvMyCuddleBugs has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!LuvMyCuddleBugs has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!LuvMyCuddleBugs has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!LuvMyCuddleBugs has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!LuvMyCuddleBugs has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!LuvMyCuddleBugs has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!LuvMyCuddleBugs has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!LuvMyCuddleBugs has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!LuvMyCuddleBugs has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!LuvMyCuddleBugs has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!LuvMyCuddleBugs has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddessoflubbock
Put a dried bay leaf in anything you fear may be a problem. I put it in my flour and bread crumbs as soon as I get it home from the store. Also in pastas that will hang around awhile, like pastina which we have rarely and never a full box. Oh and in my rice too.
Great to know! I totally had to skip the post with the bug facts as I am easily grossed out
The Following User Says Thank You to LuvMyCuddleBugs For This Useful Post: