How Target Really Decides What Mailers You Get

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Your trojan's in my head...
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
How Target Really Decides What Mailers You Get

This was on the Yahoo! front page

So true, because the year I was supposed to start college my household received a college mailer. I don't even know what we bought that triggered it but no matter how much I really want those mailers it is really creepy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ashleigh----> (Almost) Wife to Alfredo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Mama to Freddy (6)

I'm pretty sure I sold my soul to Target somewhere along the way....

Last edited by fredysmama; 02-17-2012 at 03:53 PM.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to fredysmama For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 02-17-2012, 05:08 PM

RE: How Target Really Decides What Mailers You Get

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
jgcobb has posted more than 300 great deals!jgcobb has posted more than 300 great deals!jgcobb has posted more than 300 great deals!jgcobb has posted more than 300 great deals!
As soon as I read that I thought of AFC! It really is wild that they can predict so much based on buying patterns.
The Following User Says Thank You to jgcobb For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2012, 05:09 PM

I love AFC!!

My Mood/Status:
couponlaydee has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!couponlaydee has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!couponlaydee has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!couponlaydee has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!couponlaydee has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!couponlaydee has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!couponlaydee has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!couponlaydee has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!couponlaydee has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
THAT is creepy! Interesting though.. Thanks for sharing!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to couponlaydee For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2012, 05:19 PM

Deneise

My Mood/Status:
deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
It gave me chills, but I was not surprised. A lot of companies, not just Target, are data-mining their customers purchasing habits. In my mind it is just a hair's breadth away from invasion of privacy. Spooky, but it's the reality of the times we live in.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:06 PM

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts...

My Mood/Status:
breaIam has posted more than 200 great deals!breaIam has posted more than 200 great deals!breaIam has posted more than 200 great deals!
I actually dont find data mining creepy. I don't mind that I get those mailers...lawn mower to diaper coupons....all the stuff I would need to buy and use a q for it. A lot of other companies data mine...not just retailers.

What about an actuary? They sit in the basement of insurance companies predicting when people will die based on their claim history.... that is a little creepier imo.
&

Always always always ISO of RX transfer/new coupons.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to breaIam For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2012, 07:39 PM

:-)
AFC Administrator

My Mood/Status:
TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!

Do you want to become an AFC Forum Leader?

Openings and requirements can be found
!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TJ_2008 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2012, 08:06 PM

My Mood/Status:
AmandaDavenport has posted more than 300 great deals!AmandaDavenport has posted more than 300 great deals!AmandaDavenport has posted more than 300 great deals!AmandaDavenport has posted more than 300 great deals!
I buy alot of cocoa butter, cotton balls and vitamins, but I am not pregnant, LOL. I don't know how they can profile someone on things they buy, but I will take the coupons.

I don't know how, but I got a huge baby magazine in the mail last week, I don't know how they got the whim to send that, but I usually pay with cash, but now knowing they profile what you buy I think I will start using my card more to get coupons sent.
and 2
and 2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AmandaDavenport For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2012, 10:34 PM

Very Happy!

My Mood/Status:
sassyonemn83 has posted more than 100 good deals!sassyonemn83 has posted more than 100 good deals!
I think they get this information from the census everyone fills out or those grocery surveys that come in the mail. I know we got this survey a few weeks back and they asked like 4-5 pages worth of questions. It was a lot to fill out
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sassyonemn83 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2012, 10:36 PM

My Mood/Status:
Nictehaa has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Nictehaa has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Nictehaa has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Nictehaa has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Nictehaa has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Nictehaa has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
This isn't about Target but I had to share. I was shopping at Walmart about a year ago and got a phone call from an out of country number (I looked it up later and it was India). The connection was so bad that I could barely hear. The guy said 'Good day ma'am, we noticed that you were shopping at Walmart today, and wanted to offer you a $500 gift card in exchange for you checking out the stores customer service'. He then proceeded to tell me that he simply needed my bank account # so they could deposit funds to cover the giftcard. It is the only time in my life that I have ever been paranoid about invasions of privacy. I was so creeped out that I left my cart and got the heck out of there! Lol
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nictehaa For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2012, 12:09 AM

is stockpiling Rubbermaid bins for her stockpile!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
dhwriter has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!dhwriter has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!dhwriter has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!dhwriter has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!dhwriter has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!dhwriter has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nictehaa View Post
This isn't about Target but I had to share. I was shopping at Walmart about a year ago and got a phone call from an out of country number (I looked it up later and it was India). The connection was so bad that I could barely hear. The guy said 'Good day ma'am, we noticed that you were shopping at Walmart today, and wanted to offer you a $500 gift card in exchange for you checking out the stores customer service'. He then proceeded to tell me that he simply needed my bank account # so they could deposit funds to cover the giftcard. It is the only time in my life that I have ever been paranoid about invasions of privacy. I was so creeped out that I left my cart and got the heck out of there! Lol
I would have run out of the store too!

What kind of phone do you have? There's a big news story now about Google ignoring the privacy settings on certain types of phones and being able to track you wherever you are. I don't know how else the guy would have known you were in Walmart, if you hadn't already checked out--maybe he works for Google and got your location--or hacked in. I guess it's possible that it was a "lucky" coincidence.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:50 AM

My Mood/Status:
Jacksonsmommy has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Jacksonsmommy has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Jacksonsmommy has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Jacksonsmommy has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Jacksonsmommy has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Jacksonsmommy has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Jacksonsmommy has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Somehow my husband got on the coupon mailer list, LMAO. He NEVER shops at Target. When the first mailer came my jaw just dropped and he was like "whats the big deal".
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jacksonsmommy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2012, 07:08 AM

Super Awesome Super Member

My Mood/Status:
kholan has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kholan has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kholan has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kholan has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kholan has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kholan has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kholan has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kholan has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kholan has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kholan has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhwriter View Post
I would have run out of the store too!

What kind of phone do you have? There's a big news story now about Google ignoring the privacy settings on certain types of phones and being able to track you wherever you are. I don't know how else the guy would have known you were in Walmart, if you hadn't already checked out--maybe he works for Google and got your location--or hacked in. I guess it's possible that it was a "lucky" coincidence.
That's no coincidence. Thanks for the info about Google. Another way companies are data-mining are through children's apps for iPhone, Android, etc. The kid plays a game and on the other end they can tell where you are, who your contacts are, etc. It's kind of creepy but at the same time it's a genius marketing strategy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kholan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2012, 08:36 AM

My Mood/Status:
Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by breaIam View Post
I actually dont find data mining creepy. I don't mind that I get those mailers...lawn mower to diaper coupons....all the stuff I would need to buy and use a q for it. A lot of other companies data mine...not just retailers.
I don't either... I just don't care It's not like they know it's ME personally, just one customer's shopping habits out of millions of customers. If my excessive cheese buying benefits me or the store in any way, by all means. Record every purchase...

My DH calls his Google phone his Google Stalk Me device. He said he hopes someone finds him interesting enough to follow him around and turned ON all of the stalking features I love that guy...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robbo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2012, 09:11 AM

nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
I shop at Target at least once a week (and always pay by debit card, just got a red card debit) so I don't doubt that they know my habits (I think the SM knows me too, we were chatting while he was walking the line before the doors opened on BF ).

I get most of the mailers, still get the baby ones even though DS is in kindergarten (but he has special needs, so he still wears pull ups at night and I stockpile wipes too).

My sis wasn't so happy when she started getting the baby mailers (after she bought a baby shower gift for someone at work) since she doesn't have any children, so their formula is not exactly perfected yet
The Following User Says Thank You to nwfrugalista For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2012, 08:27 PM

My Mood/Status:
tilamuse has posted more than 50 good deals
Haha! I bought a ton of Curel a while ago and did get the baby mailer, even though we never buy baby stuff!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tilamuse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 03:41 PM

Little Busy-Bee

My Mood/Status:
Macchiatomom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Macchiatomom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Macchiatomom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Macchiatomom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Macchiatomom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Macchiatomom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Macchiatomom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Macchiatomom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Macchiatomom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Macchiatomom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Macchiatomom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
So, if someone registers for a baby shower would they start getting these mailers?

Sarah mommy to three precious girls

The Following User Says Thank You to Macchiatomom For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 04:17 PM

Couponing for my Camper!

My Mood/Status:
dsaenz6 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!dsaenz6 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!dsaenz6 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!dsaenz6 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!dsaenz6 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!dsaenz6 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!dsaenz6 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!dsaenz6 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!dsaenz6 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!dsaenz6 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!dsaenz6 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macchiatomom
So, if someone registers for a baby shower would they start getting these mailers?
I've registered 3 times (3kids) and have yet to get any type of mailers from them other than when a new ST opened near my house.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dsaenz6 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 08:25 PM

nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macchiatomom View Post
You would think so, since that is basically confirming that you are indeed pregnant and you are even supplying them with your due date! But it seems they trust their formula more !
Old 02-27-2012, 11:12 PM

megbeachgirl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!megbeachgirl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!megbeachgirl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!megbeachgirl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!megbeachgirl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!megbeachgirl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwfrugalista

You would think so, since that is basically confirming that you are indeed pregnant and you are even supplying them with your due date! But it seems they trust their formula more !
I registered with them to and don't get any mailers at all with coupons how do I get those
Old 03-07-2012, 08:27 AM

nmm8605 has posted more than 50 good deals
i've signed up for the baby registry back in 2010 when my daughter was due 1/4/11. i have yet to receive any baby mailers in the mail. really dissappointed about that. I am excepting my second daughter in 13 weeks (due 6/2/2012) and I have already registered at target again since my mom and sister are going to throw me a diaper shower. at least they give you a nice goodie bag when you sign up for the registry. hoping to get lots of huggies!
Old 03-07-2012, 11:13 AM

megbeachgirl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!megbeachgirl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!megbeachgirl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!megbeachgirl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!megbeachgirl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!megbeachgirl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmm8605
i've signed up for the baby registry back in 2010 when my daughter was due 1/4/11. i have yet to receive any baby mailers in the mail. really dissappointed about that. I am excepting my second daughter in 13 weeks (due 6/2/2012) and I have already registered at target again since my mom and sister are going to throw me a diaper shower. at least they give you a nice goodie bag when you sign up for the registry. hoping to get lots of huggies!
I didn't get that either uggggggghhhh now I am soooooooo mad. The only thing I got was a headache while I registered ( the scanner kept not scanning slash freezing every other second and would freeze up for several minutes finally it died so I had to finish up with a second scanner and it also messed up right before I finished. What kind of goodies do u receive in the bag? Is it from the store u sighn up when u sighn up or something they send I.n the mail? Wondering if I should ask corporate
Old 03-09-2012, 03:10 PM

cmjones311 has posted more than 25 good deals
What creeps me out is that I haven't bought anything that could even possibly be construed as "baby" something, but yet I've now gotten a baby catalog and a baby coupon mailer.

Now my roommate is giving me the side eye, thinking I'm pregnant!
The Following User Says Thank You to cmjones311 For This Useful Post: