Why Do People Buy GC's On Ebay?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2011, 07:54 AM
I'm OLD! My 12 yr old is taller than me and asked...

My Mood/Status:
SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Question Why do people buy GC's on ebay?

I was looking on ebay for a gift card so that I could use it to buy my son some shoes. All You magazine had an article, saying to maximize savings by doing that. But, my goodness, there were $100 gift cards with bids that made them cost more than $100. Why do people do that? Is there a good place to get a Walmart or Kohl's gift card at great discount or am I fooling myself and wasting my time?
The Following User Says Thank You to SmoochTheCook For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 05-13-2011, 08:06 AM

RE: Why do people buy GC's on ebay?

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
hahaha People put stuff like that on Ebay because people will buy ANYTHING from Ebay...

Our local grocery stores do promos several times a year where you get back OYNO catalinas for buying certain gift cards, especially around the holidays. People will trade them on here for other things besides cash, and I know there's a website for giftcard exchanging but I can't think of it right this second...
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 10:22 AM

I'm OLD! My 12 yr old is taller than me and asked...

My Mood/Status:
SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I don't have another gc to exchange...well, I do, but it was my mother's day gift and it's to Kitchen Collection...NO ONE GETS THAT!!!! Haha...no one besides me would want it, huh?

I just cannot figure out for the life of me why a person would pay even 1 penny over the value of the gc!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really don't see getting a good deal on his shoes and I swear, with school ending and scout camps coming up, I don't wanna pay much!!!! Thanks for the reply!
The Following User Says Thank You to SmoochTheCook For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 11:00 AM

My Mood/Status:
AmandaDavenport has posted more than 300 great deals!AmandaDavenport has posted more than 300 great deals!AmandaDavenport has posted more than 300 great deals!AmandaDavenport has posted more than 300 great deals!
Try craigslist, I have bought gift cards off there before. I will NEVER pay over 50% face value of the card..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and 2
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and 2
The Following User Says Thank You to AmandaDavenport For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 12:28 PM

2014 YTD Savings: $4852.51
My Mood/Status:
pinchthosepennies has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!pinchthosepennies has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!pinchthosepennies has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!pinchthosepennies has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!pinchthosepennies has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!pinchthosepennies has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!pinchthosepennies has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!pinchthosepennies has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!pinchthosepennies has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!pinchthosepennies has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!pinchthosepennies has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
I don't get it either! Some people don't have credit cards and will buy gift cards with cash or pay thru pay pal so they can still purchase things online (w/out credit cards). As for people who pay more than the value of the card, let's just say DH & I have had many conversations about that. It's pretty silly if you ask me.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:48 PM

My Mood/Status:
manywillenter has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!manywillenter has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!manywillenter has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!manywillenter has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!manywillenter has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!manywillenter has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoochTheCook View Post
I don't have another gc to exchange...well, I do, but it was my mother's day gift and it's to Kitchen Collection...NO ONE GETS THAT!!!! Haha...no one besides me would want it, huh?

I just cannot figure out for the life of me why a person would pay even 1 penny over the value of the gc!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really don't see getting a good deal on his shoes and I swear, with school ending and scout camps coming up, I don't wanna pay much!!!! Thanks for the reply!
Sometimes people take it personally when they are outbid on eBay. It hurts their pride. I have seen auctions where a couple of idiots will bid against each other until the bidding is way beyond reason. You usually see this with individuals who are new to eBay.

Other times the bidding gets unreasonable because of the automatic bidding conducted by eBays computers. Two people will make very high maximum bids to ensure that they are the winning bidder. Neither expects that they will actually have to pay anything close to their maximum bids. The computer keeps making ever higher automatic bids on each persons behalf until the lower maximum bid has finally been exceeded. The eventual winner turns out to be the big loser in these situations. It can be very dangerous placing an extremely high maximum bid.

I have purchased many gift cards and "merchandise credit" cards on eBay in the past. You can get very good bargains if you are lucky and are willing to spend a lot of time watching the various auctions. The best cards to bid on are those where the seller foolishly started their auction in the middle of the night. Their auction will then end during the middle of some future night. If you are willing to watch these auctions while everybody else is sleeping, you can pick up some bargains. There are far fewer bidders in the middle of the night. Most bids are made in the last few minutes of an auction. Wait until the last ten seconds to make your bid just in case there is another nightowl bidder out there somewhere. Bid at least 2 bid jumps higher than the current bid just in case you have a stealthy "sniper" competitor that you are not aware of.

Bidding on unpopular cards is where you will find the best bargains. Radio Shack cards can often be picked up at discounts of between 30 and 40 percent. Best Buy cards are in much greater demand. You will seldom be able to get them at discounts greater than 10 percent, although I have been able to pick them up at discounts of 20 percent. It does take a lot of work and requires deep pockets in order to be sucessful. I have had open bids totaling $4000 dollars on dozens of cards at any one time. I knew that I would probably be sucessful in winning only one or two of them. But there was always the possibility of winning more than I really desired to win. If you are operating on a shoestring, be prepared to lose a lot of sleep. "Cherry Pick" only the very best opportunities. Delete those souring opportunies from your eBay "watch list" right away. If you don't, you'll be tempted to settle for just a decent bargain. Keep your powder dry and wait until that great bargain presents itself.

Be prepared to use any card that you win right away. You do not want a dishonest seller to use the information from the card to make an online purchase after sending you the card. To protect yourself, you can always make a quick temporary purchase and then return the item. The returned item's value will then be placed on a new card. If you purchase many smaller valued cards, you can use them all to make a single large temporary purchase. When you return the item you will receive a single new card. You have thus consolidated many smaller valued cards into a single larger valued card. Sometimes this is the only way you are able to consolidate many smaller valued cards onto a single card.

Last edited by manywillenter; 05-13-2011 at 02:52 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to manywillenter For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 07:53 AM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
i have been given gift cards before for places i would never go. i sold one was 25.00 and sold for 22.00, the other card was 25 and sold for 23.00. it saved some one a few dollars and i turned an unwanted card to cash.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:07 AM

needs some time to organize all of her coupons
Happy Shopping!!!

My Mood/Status:
ilovecouponstoo has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ilovecouponstoo has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ilovecouponstoo has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ilovecouponstoo has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ilovecouponstoo has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ilovecouponstoo has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ilovecouponstoo has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ilovecouponstoo has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ilovecouponstoo has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ilovecouponstoo has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ilovecouponstoo has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
All I can think of is maybe they are using some kind of cash back program before they go to ebay making them earn a percentage on their purchase. IDK but it is a thought. It is kind of confusing!!

Old 05-14-2011, 08:36 AM

My Mood/Status:
Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Holy information, manywillenter! Thank you!
Old 05-14-2011, 08:50 AM

not again!!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have bought a GC for a local restaurant and got it for a good price. I agree about buyers not wanting to get outbid.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:54 AM

My Mood/Status:
russman4 has posted more than 400 great deals!russman4 has posted more than 400 great deals!russman4 has posted more than 400 great deals!russman4 has posted more than 400 great deals!russman4 has posted more than 400 great deals!
There is no accounting for stupidity, as far as bidding is concerned. They will pay more for an item that it's worth face value. Case in point, I just saw an auction on Ebay for ONE coupon for a free Softsoap body wash. It explicity states "up to $4.49" on the coupon, and the seller also specifies that price in his listing. Again, there is only ONE coupon up for bid.

And yet, the last bid I saw for it was $6.51.

Go figure. Stupid is as stupid does. To each his own I guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to russman4 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 09:13 AM

Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Just a FYI the people you see "over paying" for gift cards on Ebay are not stupid or wasting money or trying to not be overbid. There are programs on Ebay (don't ask me how to get in them I don't know) but when they make a purchase they are actually only paying about 50% of the price they bid. So if you want gift cards go and open a mypoints.com account and you can earn points to purchase gift cards on there. There are several other sites like that and you can actually earn them for free by purchasing stuff on line. HTH
Old 05-14-2011, 06:55 PM

My Mood/Status:
LilBlossom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!LilBlossom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!LilBlossom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!LilBlossom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!LilBlossom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!LilBlossom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!LilBlossom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!LilBlossom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!LilBlossom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!LilBlossom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!LilBlossom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by russman4 View Post
There is no accounting for stupidity, as far as bidding is concerned. They will pay more for an item that it's worth face value. Case in point, I just saw an auction on Ebay for ONE coupon for a free Softsoap body wash. It explicity states "up to $4.49" on the coupon, and the seller also specifies that price in his listing. Again, there is only ONE coupon up for bid.

And yet, the last bid I saw for it was $6.51.

Go figure. Stupid is as stupid does. To each his own I guess.
It is at 7.59 now...

Wife, mother, organizer, chef.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:14 PM

Getting ready for Christmas

My Mood/Status:
babyfordawn1983 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!babyfordawn1983 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!babyfordawn1983 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!babyfordawn1983 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!babyfordawn1983 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!babyfordawn1983 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!babyfordawn1983 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!babyfordawn1983 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!babyfordawn1983 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!babyfordawn1983 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!babyfordawn1983 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have seen this site on tv before and have checked it out a few times. Never bought anything from them though.

Sell Gift Cards and Buy Gift Cards

Might be worth checking out..
Old 05-20-2011, 01:27 PM

Hello

My Mood/Status:
pal_joey1 has posted more than 100 good deals!pal_joey1 has posted more than 100 good deals!
Another good site for gift card selling and buying is Gift Card Exchange - Buy, Sell, Swap - Free Shipping - Plastic Jungle

The only down side is that sometimes you would have to fork over big bucks to get a card for the store you want like Wal-Mart. And the discount is only 2%. Target and other stores seem to be much better discounts and lower initial cost as well.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:40 PM

blah blah

My Mood/Status:
bobbiejo45 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bobbiejo45 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bobbiejo45 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bobbiejo45 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bobbiejo45 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bobbiejo45 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bobbiejo45 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bobbiejo45 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bobbiejo45 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bobbiejo45 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
There are people that 'buy' overpriced items on ebay to pay for drugs using a credit card (probably stolen). Your local drug dealer puts a $25GC or some worthless item with a high minimum bid. Drug buyer purchases useless item with cc and then receives drugs from local drug dealer. Now the money is already laundered b/c it was from the purchase of an item on ebay. I just saw a show where a woman used this method to pay for a contract on her husband.

I think I have a coupon for that.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobbiejo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2011, 04:19 AM

loving saving money with y'all
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
everytim has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!everytim has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!everytim has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!everytim has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!everytim has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!everytim has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!everytim has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!everytim has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!everytim has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!everytim has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!everytim has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiejo45 View Post
There are people that 'buy' overpriced items on ebay to pay for drugs using a credit card (probably stolen). Your local drug dealer puts a $25GC or some worthless item with a high minimum bid. Drug buyer purchases useless item with cc and then receives drugs from local drug dealer. Now the money is already laundered b/c it was from the purchase of an item on ebay. I just saw a show where a woman used this method to pay for a contract on her husband.
Oh I am so out of the loop. I thought when I read this. No way.
Gift Cards Are Increasingly Used to Launder Money, Report Says - NYTimes.com
This article is dated 2006. Wow. How closed off we are. Thank you for opening our eyes.
The Following User Says Thank You to everytim For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2011, 10:26 AM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
DezaRay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!DezaRay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!DezaRay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!DezaRay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!DezaRay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!DezaRay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!DezaRay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!DezaRay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!DezaRay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!DezaRay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!DezaRay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I don't get it either. I've seen many times that GC's are sold for well over their face value...
Old 05-25-2011, 10:35 AM

My Mood/Status:
m1ssJane has posted more than 10 good deals
I saw a lot of this in 2008 when ebay had the MS live 25% cashback promo and people were buying their own GCs at cost and then get the cashback transfered to their paypal account. A lot of people made money on that with each account up to $2500 cash back per ebay account.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:43 AM

My Mood/Status:
grze has posted more than 100 good deals!grze has posted more than 100 good deals!
to answer the main question:
1. there is a lot of scam going on on ebay
2. sometimes it's worth paying $105 for $100 because you pay no tax... but I wouldn't do it and go through all that hassle to save $2 on $100 transaction :/ too much risk these days and I've done maaany transactions on ebay
Old 05-26-2011, 12:06 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
The best explanation I have heard, for US gift cards, is that the gift cards are being purchased by or for people who live outside the USA.

Often people outside the USA cannot purchase things on USA websites. Possibly because you have to have a USA credit card to pay for the items. However, if they get a gift card for that website, then they can use it to pay for the items, and have them shipped to relatives in the USA, and then the relatives send the items out of the country.