Make Beautiful Ornaments With The Kids

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2007, 07:24 PM
Loves her friends :)
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
KellyMarie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!KellyMarie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!KellyMarie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!KellyMarie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!KellyMarie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!KellyMarie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!KellyMarie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!KellyMarie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!KellyMarie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!KellyMarie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!KellyMarie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Make beautiful ornaments with the kids

My kids and I used to use this "clay" recipe when they were young to make ornaments. This clay is the whitest white you can get! They are beautiful plain or painted. All my recipes and craft recipes burnt in the house, so I was glad when I received this one from Arm&Hammer today. This is a very inexpensive clay to amke and it really does make beautiful ornaments, it's also a very easy craft to do with the kids.

Make beautiful ornaments with the kids

Looking for a great family activity that allows everyone to showcase their creativity? Here's a secret for decking the halls with your own homemade trimmings. You'll need:
2 cups of ARM & HAMMER® baking soda
1 cup of corn starch
1 1/4 cups cold water
Step 1: Make "clay"
Stir the ingredients thoroughly on your stove top over medium heat. Remove from heat after 10-15 minutes, or when the mixture is the consistency of mashed potatoes. Spread the mixture on a baking sheet or aluminum foil and cover with a damp cloth or paper towel to keep it from drying out. Let it sit until cool.
Step 2: Mold and cut
Once cool, flatten with your hands or roll out using wax paper. Use a cookie cutter to make shapes, or make your own free-form ornaments. (In either case, don't make shapes that are too thick. Otherwise, they won't dry.) For hanging ornaments, use a straw to punch out a hole at the top.
Step 3: Let dry, then paint
Let your ornaments sit for a day or two (depending on thickness) until they're completely dry. Alternately, bake your creations in the oven - at the lowest possible setting - for about 10-15 minutes. Once dry (and cool, if removing from the oven) paint your ornaments using craft or acrylic paints. Protect with a coat of spray shellac or clear nail polish.
The holidays are all the more enjoyable when you and your family can make your own mark on them. Get to decorating - and to making memories that last throughout the year!

Last edited by KellyMarie; 11-03-2007 at 08:40 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KellyMarie For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-03-2007, 08:05 AM

RE: Make beautiful ornaments with the kids

is loving life!
Normal, every day member :)

My Mood/Status:
monica has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monica has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monica has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monica has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monica has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monica has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monica has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monica has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monica has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monica has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monica has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
YAY! Another good one!
Old 11-03-2007, 05:21 PM

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
wendy1214 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!wendy1214 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!wendy1214 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!wendy1214 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!wendy1214 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!wendy1214 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!wendy1214 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!wendy1214 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!wendy1214 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!wendy1214 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!wendy1214 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Thanks Kelly- I am going to share this one with my MOPS group!
Old 11-03-2007, 06:41 PM

Loves her friends :)
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
KellyMarie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!KellyMarie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!KellyMarie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!KellyMarie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!KellyMarie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!KellyMarie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!KellyMarie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!KellyMarie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!KellyMarie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!KellyMarie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!KellyMarie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
This clay is so white that it's amazing...it's very pliable, just make sure it's cooled before working it because you could get burned.

Tags
beautiful, kids, make, ornaments