Best Way To Sell Gently Used Clothes And Toys?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 01:44 PM
needs to get organized

My Mood/Status:
ElleSquared has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ElleSquared has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ElleSquared has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ElleSquared has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ElleSquared has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ElleSquared has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ElleSquared has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ElleSquared has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Best way to sell gently used clothes and toys?

Where have you found is the best (easiest/most profitable) place to sell gently used kids clothing and toys? We don't have garage sales in my neighborhood, so that's not an option. The local consignment shops are such a hassle. I did it once and it was a huge pain in the rear.

Right now I'm thinking that either Craigslist or Ebay are my best options. I have some heavy items that would have to be Craigslist because I don't want to deal with the hassle of shipping them.

Anyway, do you sell the items individually or in lots? All the clothes are either Gymboree or Gap. Should I mix brands? For example, one lot would be all long-sleeved boys shirts of one size but from mixed brands? I'm just so afraid of putting them on Ebay and getting like .99 for the whole lot. Honestly, at that point I'd rather donate them.

What about toys? For example, would you put those wooden Thomas trains all in one lot? They've been played with, so they are by no means in perfect shape, but I know Thomas trains are popular (at least they used to be!).

Craigslist has the advantage that I can set a price and then negotiate if needed. The exposure isn't as good as Ebay, but it is very convenient. Ebay makes me nervous because I don't want to put a lot of 5 gymboree shirts on there and get .99. I've heard that setting a reserve is bad? Also with Ebay I'd have to deal with packing boxes and figuring out shipping costs. If you list something on Ebay and it doesn't sell, you don't have to pay fees, do you?

I wasn't sure where to put this. I thought maybe FSOT, but since I'm not selling anything I didn't want to put it there. Then I thought maybe the Ebay section, but, again, I'm not selling anything and I had questions about stuff besides Ebay. So, I thought I'd try chit chat and see what happened!

TIA! Any advice is appreciated!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ElleSquared For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 01-11-2011, 02:13 PM

RE: Best way to sell gently used clothes and toys?

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
ztalindz has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ztalindz has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ztalindz has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ztalindz has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ztalindz has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ztalindz has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ztalindz has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ztalindz has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ztalindz has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ztalindz has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Sometimes I sell groups of gently used clothing on ebay. I think Gymboree sells extremely well as does the Thomas the Train stuff. The key is to describe each item in the lot. It is usually hard to see the details of the clothing in just one picture. Describe each item (size, color, long sleeve or short sleeve etc.) Make sure to describe the items condition as best you can. For example if a shirt has slight fading due to washing. People are more likely to bid if they know exactly what they are buying. Also, research your shipping cost beforehand. You would be surprised how much clothes can weigh. You don't want to lose money on the shipping. Also factor in the ebay and paypal fees. I have been selling on Ebay for 3 years and honestly you lose out money on some items and you make way more money than you thought on other items. You can't predict who will be online bidding when you list. I don't know much about craigslist selling as I have never sold on there. I hope this helps.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:23 PM

Discount Mercenary

My Mood/Status:
veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Even if you could have a garage sale, most people don't go to them looking to get clothing. Clothing is cheap enough at thrift stores.

If you have name brand items that look like new, you may be able to sell them on craigslist or ebay, but with so many new items for cheap as it is, all I can say is "good luck". I've tried selling my "old" and unused clothing on ebay, and while even in excellent condition, I didn't get bids or I got bad buyers
Old 01-11-2011, 02:30 PM

Looking for the deals!!!

My Mood/Status:
cemommster has posted more than 200 great deals!cemommster has posted more than 200 great deals!
Have you thought about a Mom to Mom sale? They are HUGE in my area and ALWAYS busy.

Always in search of Iams Cat Food.
If you like our trade, please remember positive feedback!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:55 PM

needs to get organized

My Mood/Status:
ElleSquared has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ElleSquared has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ElleSquared has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ElleSquared has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ElleSquared has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ElleSquared has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ElleSquared has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ElleSquared has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by veriria View Post
Even if you could have a garage sale, most people don't go to them looking to get clothing. Clothing is cheap enough at thrift stores.

If you have name brand items that look like new, you may be able to sell them on craigslist or ebay, but with so many new items for cheap as it is, all I can say is "good luck". I've tried selling my "old" and unused clothing on ebay, and while even in excellent condition, I didn't get bids or I got bad buyers

That is great to know! I'd rather have reasonable expectations than go in thinking I might actually make some money. Your post was very helpful! Thanks!
Old 01-11-2011, 04:01 PM

needs to get organized

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cemommster View Post
Have you thought about a Mom to Mom sale? They are HUGE in my area and ALWAYS busy.
Interesting....I just stumbled across some information for a local consignment sale where the organizers collect a bunch of clothing and toys and then have a big sale in a local outdoor shopping center. You get 65% of your sales (75% if you volunteer to work the sale). Maybe I'll look into doing that. It's not until early March, though, and I want this stuff gone NOW! LOL!!
Old 01-11-2011, 04:05 PM

Grounded for Life

timmsa has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!timmsa has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!timmsa has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!timmsa has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!timmsa has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!timmsa has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!timmsa has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!timmsa has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!timmsa has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!timmsa has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!timmsa has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Craigslist. I have sold a bunch of clothes there. I usually just explain what size and what they are. They usually sell very fast.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:10 PM

Discount Mercenary

My Mood/Status:
veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I've been contemplating having a garage sale for the past two years since we've bought our house, and advertising it as a "Gothic/Alternative" garage sale. I think that is the only way I'd be able to sell anything!
Old 01-11-2011, 05:09 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
i go to 50% off sale at goodwill. i have a closet full of name brand clothes and they are barly worn. i have found go to the middle class areas and you will find better stuff. dont go to the rich section becuase they usually dont donate thier stuff. this past weekend i was able to get 4 sweater, 1 brand new, 2 turtle necks, gloria vanderbilt jeans. i got my sone 2 jeans and a brand new pair of pants from cherokee(still had tags) and a brand new pillow pet for 17.50.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:13 PM

Discount Mercenary

My Mood/Status:
I have to disagree with you there, I used to go to Portland, OR every two weeks, and I'd hit up the local Salvation Army in the "high end" part of town, and I always found the most awesome clothing there! I miss working the Empire Builder, if only for my layover in Portland :P
Old 01-12-2011, 11:30 PM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
DezaRay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!DezaRay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!DezaRay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!DezaRay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!DezaRay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!DezaRay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!DezaRay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!DezaRay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!DezaRay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!DezaRay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!DezaRay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
For me I sell used toys and clothing on a local TV stations online classifieds ads section. Its a very,very popular place here in Utah. Just today I sold $85 worth of stuff. (My college book $40 and a toy $45) I've always found this to be a great way and because its local I don't have to ship anything. I have done Craigs list but too much spam comes to my email.

I only do eBay on items I know I can get more money out of them than on the local site.
The Following User Says Thank You to DezaRay For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2013, 12:36 AM

My Mood/Status:
jhenhudson
Best way to sell gently used clothes and toys

I sell used clothes online. I don't go out and hop from one store to another just to sell my kids used clothes.You can check Preluved, a new clothing mobile app where you can buy and sell gently used kids clothes and accessories and shoes as well.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:15 AM

My Mood/Status:
polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
If you have a Facebook account you can do a search using your local town's name plus the words "rummage" or "garage sale" and there should be a page you can join and then list stuff you are selling. Some towns even have more than one page you can join and you can sell one item or many items. I see alot of baby/kid stuff for sale, some ppl sell in lots, some sell individual items. I live in a small town and we even have one and it does pretty well.
Andrew, Mom to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Mallory, Missy, Summer, Boo Dog, Maggie & Slick),
(George),
(Cajun, Sonny, Rooster) and of course many many
Old 10-04-2013, 04:15 AM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
cry24 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!cry24 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!cry24 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!cry24 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!cry24 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!cry24 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I second the facebook selling. You can do a search for your county with yardsales and something may come up. My area has a yardsale facebook page and you have to be quick on there if you see something, stuff goes fast!
Old 10-04-2013, 07:16 AM

senoritadelsol has posted more than 25 good deals
I have seen several churches in my area have large baby item sales. I went to a few this year which offered clothing, toys, accessories, etc. Looks like a bunch of moms collected stuff and put together the sale. It might be worth checking your local churches to see if they will have upcoming sales you could join!
Old 10-06-2013, 08:15 AM

My Mood/Status:
barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
1. a local facebook group, just be careful and meet in a public area. I think it is better to sell by box or bag or in lots.
2. e-bay we have sold our children's good clothing I once had a guy buy 6 shirts various good name brands that I only paid up to a dollar for each shirt at yard sales etc anyways he paid $30 plus shipping becasue of the name brands and the shape they were in.
3. Have a yard sale, but I have found people are cheap at yard sales. My son stopped playing football, and I had a pair of under Armour cleats that we paid well over a $100 for and he literally only had on his feet twice for $2 and the women tried to get them for $1. I thought that ridiculous so I didn't budge. Ask for more than you really want becasue they will try to get them for less IMO at yard sales.
4. I know you said you don't like the hassle of a consignment store, but if you can find a good one sometimes it is worth it. I have one here, that I regularly take things to and it is worth it for me to just not have the hassle anymore.

I think the best advice is to try to take care of the clothing, if it is nice and in good condition people will pay for it. good luck and have fun with it.

Unfortunately I don't really buy much at Salvation Army or goodwill anymore... they have gotten too greedy in my area. When they start labeling Old Navy clothing as "name brand" and charge more than what I would pay just buying it on sale at the store itself brand new there might be an issue. The Good Will now charges upwards of $8 for a pair of jeans and they don't do their 50% off weekend sales anymore, so yep have not even set foot in one for a while. I can find better deals myself at the stores by being a smart shopper

Last edited by barracuda; 10-06-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:00 AM

not again!!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Look for Facebook garage sale type pages for your area. Also local moms/pta organizations usually have great sales. We just had one in my area and I made $300 in 2 days. I also do eBay but have got to a point where I would recommend it. Wayyyyy to many bidders that play games and never pay. Bidders that are too demanding to. Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to skbrush For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2013, 10:01 AM

esmy8
read article about it

I actually just wrote an article about this answering that question. I have twin boys, so I know all about how to do that. I've had the most success from FB groups and Craigslist.

Here's the article if you're interested: voices.yahoo.com/eight-ways-sell-childs-gently-used-clothing-12394061.html
Old 12-18-2013, 07:22 PM

My Mood/Status:
bookwormpeg has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I stopped by a local thrift shop this afternoon....was looking for some used little girls clothing....they wanted $3 for each piece of clothing!!!! I walked out...went up the street to a store we have called Fallas....walked in there and I picked up 5 NEW outfits for $32!! I wonder where the thrift store get their prices....I think $3 is too much to pay for a pr. of used leggings for a child......but, I'm cheap I guess.....