Any Idea On Funding A Knee Replacement Surgery(without Insurance)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 05:55 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
kaedeebug has posted more than 400 great deals!kaedeebug has posted more than 400 great deals!kaedeebug has posted more than 400 great deals!kaedeebug has posted more than 400 great deals!kaedeebug has posted more than 400 great deals!
Any idea on funding a knee replacement surgery(without insurance)

Hi, just thought I would throw this out maybe someone has a great idea. My DH broke his leg in 3 places at the knee last May and it did not heal right and the knee needs to be replaced. Well he was out of work for 6 months and the insurance we had (for selfemployed) did not pay much of his surgery costs, drs visits etc and they increased our payment so that was the first to go when our finances hit rock bottom. We did not know then that he would need a knee replacement or we would have kept it because now if we sign to a new plan it is a year waiting list.

He is in extreme pain with every step and is unable to work on a regular schedule because some days he cannot put weight on that leg, it just gives way. We are blessed that his uncle lets him work when he can but that means no insurance through the company because he is part time. The surgery will cost 38,000 not including dr visits and rehab and since we have no insurance it has to be paid upfront. We have almost lost our home and have been reduced to food stamps so no we can't pay this but I don't know how he will make it for a year. He has lost 25 lbs, gone gray and is in agony every day.

I have contacted our local offices and we do not qualify for insurance as we still make too much and the local charities tell me they have no funding so does anyone know where I could look for help? We are hoping if he gets his knee replaced he will be able to return to his previous job making decent money and get us out of this financial mess.

I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions.
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 03-14-2010, 06:27 AM

RE: Any idea on funding a knee replacement surgery(without insurance)

:)
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
kimmyann123 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kimmyann123 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kimmyann123 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kimmyann123 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kimmyann123 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kimmyann123 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kimmyann123 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kimmyann123 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kimmyann123 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kimmyann123 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kimmyann123 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
our health dept. here in michigan has a health ins, you may want to call there and see if they have...
Old 03-14-2010, 08:47 AM

living on my stockpile and buying the rest at...

My Mood/Status:
freegroceries4me has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!freegroceries4me has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!freegroceries4me has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!freegroceries4me has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!freegroceries4me has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!freegroceries4me has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!freegroceries4me has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!freegroceries4me has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!freegroceries4me has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!freegroceries4me has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!freegroceries4me has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
You say you have been to local charities, so you may have tried this already. Two options- 1) go to your county hospital supported by tax dollars - they will have a sliding scale policy that adjusts prices based on income. 2) go to a not-for-profit hospital (usually religiously affiliated) - they have financial assistance policies that will adjust part of the bill off based upon your income level. These are the hospital bill only. The doctor's bills will be another story. If you qualify for food stamps, you ought to qualify for assistance at one of these two types of hospitals.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:01 AM

@.@
Jurassic Member

My Mood/Status:
joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Depending on what state you live, check for medical schools around and what they have to offer. You pay a lot less when surgical residents take the case. You don't have to worry about quality of care since they are closely supervised by consultants. IF you ask me, a patient is better taken care of by residents in training. Although there are no 100% guarantees, you can expect good treatment under their service.

Good luck!