Valentines Day Crafts For 1st Graders? Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 09:42 AM
Life is good!
Shanalc

My Mood/Status:
shanac2008 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!shanac2008 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!shanac2008 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!shanac2008 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!shanac2008 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!shanac2008 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Question Valentines Day crafts for 1st graders? Help!

Ok, AFC Friends, I need your help.

I need to come up with a fairly easy Valentines Day craft for my daughter's first grade class for their party next Friday. I have been searching the web for an hour but can't seem to find anything good.

Please, please give me some ideas!!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and mom to 10YO DD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 7YO DS
and 3YO DS
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shanac2008 For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-05-2010, 10:06 AM

RE: Valentines Day crafts for 1st graders? Help!

:-)
AFC Administrator

sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I usually only look at the toddler crafts on this blog, but you might find something. No Time For Flash Cards. I've been addicted since I found it a few weeks ago. (And yes, if it looks familiar it's b/c I've linked it on AFC a few times. I really am addicted to it.)
The Following User Says Thank You to sar1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2010, 10:08 AM

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
makinitworkwith5 has posted more than 300 great deals!makinitworkwith5 has posted more than 300 great deals!makinitworkwith5 has posted more than 300 great deals!makinitworkwith5 has posted more than 300 great deals!
we often did the cookie and take pink icing and candy hearts let them decorate and then eat it.
The Following User Says Thank You to makinitworkwith5 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2010, 12:05 PM

canfieldcouponer has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!canfieldcouponer has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!canfieldcouponer has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!canfieldcouponer has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!canfieldcouponer has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!canfieldcouponer has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Oh this is so cute. In fact my daughter, who is in 8th grade did this when I was room mom in first grade. And we still have it!!

Conversation Heart Sweetheart Frames
See if the teacher will allow you to put a small half page note in the kids' folders on Monday asking them to bring a wallet sized photo of themselves for the party.

~Buy the Sweetheart brand boxes of conversation hearts, one for each child. You could also glue a piece of magnet on the bag to minimize the steps for the children and then parents can hang on the fridge.
~Empty the candies out and help them glue their picture with a glue stick on the inside of the box so their face is peeking through the window.
~Let them decorate the outside of the box with the conversation hearts, using Elmer's glue.
~ In the LIKELY event that a child forgets his/her picture LOL, they can add the picture once at home!!!

The box says Sweetheart on it and that's what the kids are when their sweet little faces look through framed by the candy hearts.

Hope this helps. It's very easy and the kids get into it making it for their "Valentine"
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to canfieldcouponer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2010, 12:33 PM

My Mood/Status:
Crittlelee has posted more than 300 great deals!Crittlelee has posted more than 300 great deals!Crittlelee has posted more than 300 great deals!Crittlelee has posted more than 300 great deals!
Being that this is posted on afc, so I know its probably something you want to save on, but if you could help me with a budget, how much is being spent on the actual project? How many children, how much time?

I work, or well used to work ( a little time off) for Michaels the arts and craft store. They have specific little crafts in packages, from say one child that they market and advertise a lot right now. They are expensive though for more than one. However, if you know what you're looking for you can normally come up with something for a lot cheaper. I'll take a look around later and see what is on sale. i'll try to come up with some cheap easy little crafts
The Following User Says Thank You to Crittlelee For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2010, 12:34 PM

My Mood/Status:
Crittlelee has posted more than 300 great deals!Crittlelee has posted more than 300 great deals!Crittlelee has posted more than 300 great deals!Crittlelee has posted more than 300 great deals!
oops double post >.<
Old 02-07-2010, 12:38 PM

babybleueyes1017 has posted more than 300 great deals!babybleueyes1017 has posted more than 300 great deals!babybleueyes1017 has posted more than 300 great deals!babybleueyes1017 has posted more than 300 great deals!
walmart has kits in their seasonal section of the foam hearts and frame kits. really cute!
The Following User Says Thank You to babybleueyes1017 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2010, 07:28 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
Wednesday has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Wednesday has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Wednesday has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Wednesday has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Wednesday has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Wednesday has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Wednesday has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Wednesday has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Wednesday has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Wednesday has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Wednesday has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
We got a worksheet of a heart (found on the internet: "heart printable page")
Cut out the pattern & placed it on a same size posterboard to make it stronger)
got tissue paper (red, pink, white from xmas time)
cut the tissue in medium size squares

The kids took the paper, glue, tissue and a pencil
took 1 piece of tissue put it on the eraser of pencil with a dab of glue then place the glue tissue on the heart.

If the child can't use the pencil they can crinkle the paper and glue it on the paper.

It makes a fluffy, textured heart

We have made snowman, hearts almost anything.

They have kit projects on OrientalTrading.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Wednesday For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2010, 08:45 AM

Blessed
Highly motivated

My Mood/Status:
angel nee nee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!angel nee nee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!angel nee nee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!angel nee nee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!angel nee nee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!angel nee nee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!angel nee nee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!angel nee nee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!angel nee nee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!angel nee nee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!angel nee nee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I look for them online. We might bake valentine's cookies, but I think my mother in law got that covered this year, so I might just let her take care of valentine's crafts. hehe.
The Following User Says Thank You to angel nee nee For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2010, 08:54 AM

starting over with coupons/stockpiling in 2014

My Mood/Status:
AmyMCGS has posted more than 25 good deals
There's always the old stand-by mouse, which I personally think are very cute. You'll need a sucker for each child. Cut a large heart out of construction paper. Fold it in half, put the sucker inside with the stick sticking out of the small part of the heart for the tail. Add eyes, ears, etc. to the larger end to make the face. Very cute, cheap, and easy.

Or how about scratch-n-sniff treat bags:
Frugal Family Fun Blog: DIY: Scratch N Sniff Valentine Treat Bags
Old 02-08-2010, 09:32 AM

Life is good!
Shanalc

My Mood/Status:
shanac2008 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!shanac2008 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!shanac2008 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!shanac2008 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!shanac2008 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!shanac2008 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crittlelee View Post
Being that this is posted on afc, so I know its probably something you want to save on, but if you could help me with a budget, how much is being spent on the actual project? How many children, how much time?
There are 19 or 20 kids in the class, and we do need a fairly cheap craft that they can do in 20 minutes or so.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
, and mom to 10YO DD
, 7YO DS
and 3YO DS
The Following User Says Thank You to shanac2008 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2010, 10:02 AM

Blessed
Highly motivated

My Mood/Status:
angel nee nee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!angel nee nee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!angel nee nee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!angel nee nee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!angel nee nee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!angel nee nee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!angel nee nee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!angel nee nee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!angel nee nee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!angel nee nee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!angel nee nee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanac2008 View Post
There are 19 or 20 kids in the class, and we do need a fairly cheap craft that they can do in 20 minutes or so.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
Mouse idea might work for mass numbe of children.
The Following User Says Thank You to angel nee nee For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2010, 10:11 AM

loves being a sahm!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
bellasmama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bellasmama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bellasmama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bellasmama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bellasmama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bellasmama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bellasmama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bellasmama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bellasmama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bellasmama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bellasmama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
A cute thing I remember from school was making Valentines "mailboxes". Two sheets of construction paper, one to be the bottom of the box, the next to curve around into a semi circle. Take the ends of the semi circle (long side) and fold 1/2" under in a straight line. Then use glue to secure the semi circle to the bottom page and voila, a "mail box" for the valentines to be delivered to. The kids can color and decorate the semi-circle sheet before hand as well.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:13 AM

grantsmom33 has posted more than 1 good deal
I had the same problem in preparing for my son's kindergarten party this week, until I found a simple idea where you make crowns from paper plates. So simple and inexpensive. I purchased red plates from the Dollar Tree. Using a ruler you and Exacto knife you cut the center of the plates into triangles (as if you were cutting a pie) but don't cut to the edge of the plate (this is the brim of the crown) You simply push up the tringles and put a foam heart on each point. You the children will each be a "King and Queen of Hearts" They will have fun wearing them at the party and cafeteria that day. Couldn't find the website but you may be able find it showing an illustration. Good Luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to grantsmom33 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2010, 08:27 AM

My Mood/Status:
I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to this! Im not sure if you did it already or will do it next week, but I'll post my main suggestion just in case.

One of the crafts I always did with the kids classes at michaels were picture frames, most of the time they buy one frame for a dollar and decorate it, but the cheaper route is to buy a box of popsicle sticks. take 4, glue them together into a square, and make little frames.
You can always pre glue them, or let the kids do it, whichever you think is easier. Then, let the kids decorate them!

They sell little boxes of foam hearts at michaels for about 3-4 dollars a box, they have over 100 or something in them. Its been a while since I've looked at them. They'll probably be on sale, if not, you could get a few 40% off coupons and just ring them up seperately.

They are peel and stick so the kids would just pick what they want and apply, you can also give them markers to color, paint is possible also, but that does make a bit of a mess. At the end you have a cute little hand decorated frame for them to bring home to thieir children, I'll upload a sample picture asap.

I hope your craft goes well! If you already did it I hope it was a blast.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:33 AM

My Mood/Status:
How did the craft go?!