Would You Pay To Rent This?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2009, 12:09 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

wils124 has posted more than 5 good deals
Would you pay to rent this?

I am thinking about starting a part time business renting bounce houses or "moonwalks." These are inflatable castles and houses for birthday parties, family reunions and corporate events. The rental fee would include me bringing the bounce house to your location, setting it up and securing it, and four hours of use. I would not be present for the entire party (with some exceptions) I am thinking of having two "themed" houses (a princess castle and a "cars" bounce house), as well as a regular, non-themed, bounce house. They are approximately 15x15 in size.

I am concerned, however, with what to charge. There is quite a bit of overhead. I have to buy the units, advertise, be licensed by my state including having each bounce house inspected, insurance (approx. $1800/year, etc.)

Depending on the location these can be rented from $85-300 per party. I was thinking of renting them for $130 per party. I would like some thoughts regarding if you think this is too much. Would the price turn you off? Would you be willing to pay that amount for a birthday party for your son/daughter? Have you rented one of these before and, if so, would you do it again?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wils124 For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-19-2009, 12:58 PM

RE: Would you pay to rent this?

Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Have you checked to see how many rental places in your area offer these and what their prices and services are? I know in Orlando there are lots of them and you can even pick them up and rent them for the weekend and return them on Monday mornings. Before you jump into this you might want to do some more research and make sure that the price on the insurance is a solid amount. I would also recommend hiring an attorney to draft a waiver of liability that you would have your customers sign before they rent the unit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SLance68 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2009, 12:59 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
nattsgirl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nattsgirl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nattsgirl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nattsgirl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nattsgirl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nattsgirl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nattsgirl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nattsgirl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nattsgirl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nattsgirl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nattsgirl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I've seen a bunch of people renting them out for parties and etc. I think it would be a fun experience.

I agree with SLance68, you need some sort of liablity, if the kids got hurt while renting it, there could be a law issue on had, which wouldn't be good!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rasha
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In love with my knight and shinning armor, Natt
parents to our fishy baby, TK
Old 07-19-2009, 01:04 PM

: )
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
good advice there from SLance!

I'd be careful about owner's liability (yours) in case of accident while renting your equipment. That might cause several thousands of dollars later when you don't draft your contracts carefully. check with an attorney first on owner's liability and your options to protect yourself. also, if you pursue this business, don't forget to check if business is insurable.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:10 PM

Thanks SLance. One of the reasons I am interested in doing this is because there are not many businesses in my city renting these. One rental place rents an older bounce house for $120 for a 4 hour party. There is a $50 delivery and set up fee. Another store allows people to rent them, take them home, and set them up. They charge $160.00. Those are the only two businesses in my town (about 70,000 people). There are two other places within 40 miles that also provide a similar service. One is not licensed or inspected through the State and the other charges $130 but there is a $70 delivery charge to my town due to the distance they have to travel to set the unit up.

I have sample rental agreements with the liability waivers in them. I also plan to attend a training seminar to ensure that I know how to set these up properly and to incorporate the business to protect my personal assets. The insurance payment is for a $1,000,000 policy.

I want the focus of the business to be on fun and customer service. My biggest concern is that these units just won't rent in this economy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wils124 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2009, 01:13 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
nattsgirl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nattsgirl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nattsgirl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nattsgirl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nattsgirl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nattsgirl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nattsgirl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nattsgirl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nattsgirl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nattsgirl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nattsgirl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
That is true. The economy being bad and such. The price is up there. Some people would, I know that I personally (well I dont have kids right now) but if I did, I would find it hard for me to negotiate getting one for the day, for that much $$....

Good luck if you decide to go with it!

Rasha
In love with my knight and shinning armor, Natt
parents to our fishy baby, TK
The Following User Says Thank You to nattsgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2009, 01:16 PM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I believe in this business principle,

when you build it, they will come. same principle in every business venture. I suggest you have a feasibility study and go over it thoroughly. Go by your gut feel and think positive. When you do your best, you'll succeed!

DH and I are dreaming of putting up a Disney theme city in our state. He asked me, don't you think we should build it somewhere else? I said, I'd build it in the middle of nowhere that I can buy huge tracks of land and then build highways leading to it. Just like Disney World......

then we wake up
The Following User Says Thank You to joshmamabear For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2009, 01:25 PM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
btw, since I mentioned Disney World, ask anyone who's just been there recently,

you'd never think there's recession or money is tight. people still go about spending $$ left and right. although I noticed, there's a lot more foreigners than locals compared to previous years.

but if its a good product and there aren't too many competitors, it may be worth going into. Just a caution, if you have to borrow money to get into the business, think many times before you leap.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:36 PM

One day at a time.

My Mood/Status:
baybeenurse has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!baybeenurse has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!baybeenurse has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!baybeenurse has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!baybeenurse has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!baybeenurse has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!baybeenurse has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!baybeenurse has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!baybeenurse has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!baybeenurse has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!baybeenurse has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
i have rented them before..paid 125. for 4 hours. but had it for over 6 because they got busy elsewhere..they set it up, but did not attend it throughout..i believe that they offered a discount for a second event, i.e. snow cone machine, popcorn machine, blowup slide, etc., but i just got the bouncy house and the "kids" loved it!

,wife, and proud mommy to sons, Logan~19, Mason~18, Hunter~13, Holden~7, her forever angel~Parker, and rescue German Shepherd, Ryka
The Following User Says Thank You to baybeenurse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2009, 01:51 PM

home

My Mood/Status:
lovemydh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lovemydh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lovemydh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lovemydh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lovemydh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lovemydh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lovemydh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lovemydh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lovemydh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lovemydh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lovemydh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I think that is a reasonable amount. I personally don't rent them but don't think that is outlandish. Another thing you can maybe rent 2 would be schools or churches for their functions also. I know they always use them.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:48 PM

nickle and diming my way to being debt free

My Mood/Status:
jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I belong on our city's park board and we rented one of these for our 4th of July celebration....we are a small town and the guy we rented it from is a local who just happened to have one and he rents it out when he isn't using it. It was a fairly good sized bounce house. We only paid $75 to rent it for 2 hours and he was there to collect our money for us while we ran other booths. (we made our money back btw...kids LOVE these things)
I am not sure how many people can spend over $100 on this type of item for birthdays etc but I am sure people would for events...like church and school type events etc.
You could even start smaller...say with a large generic bounce house and as you start pulling in business then expand to add others for birthdays and such.

good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to jeanettebr For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2009, 04:48 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
I was checking around in my area and they are charging about $175 for 5 hours, includes delivery, set up and takedown. I would definitely look into a waiver that needs to be signed like suggested. Need to make sure you cover you a$$!
There are certain things people will splurge on even in this economy so I wouldn't be too worried about slow business. You might want to check other things you could possibly rent also down the road (photo booths are a big one for weddings right now).

Good luck! I hope everything works out for you.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:50 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
At my family reunion they rent a dunk tank every year. Its so much fun!
Old 07-19-2009, 04:57 PM

is starting a new life
Just me!

My Mood/Status:
vavcon3 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!vavcon3 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!vavcon3 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!vavcon3 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!vavcon3 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!vavcon3 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!vavcon3 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!vavcon3 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!vavcon3 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I've rented them before here for the kiddo's birthday. It was either $200 or $225 for 24 hours (keep in mind this is expensive Massachusetts). They set it up and took it down themselves - a policy due to renters not returning it in clean condition (think ice cream and candy and ants). I always liked the extra time because we would have it for the party, plus plenty of extra time for the neighbor kids who were drooling at the bottom of the driveway! LOL!
DS (16)
The Following User Says Thank You to vavcon3 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2009, 05:37 PM

Thanks for checking out the local prices arcosta81. Vavcon3, yes, damage to the units is a BIG problem. Gum, water, and silly string are the worst (most charge a minimum $50 cleaning fee if it looks like water got on the units). I appreciate everyone's responses. Starting a business is a huge decision.
The Following User Says Thank You to wils124 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2009, 05:41 PM

My Mood/Status:
nikiz has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!nikiz has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!nikiz has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!nikiz has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!nikiz has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!nikiz has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!nikiz has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!nikiz has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!nikiz has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!nikiz has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!nikiz has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
We usaully rent these for our daughters bday. In Mn, we usually pay about $125-$150,and the companies will usually deliver it on the morning of the event, and take down after with no fee.I think it could be an awesome business opportunity, Good luck to you!
The Following User Says Thank You to nikiz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2009, 05:43 PM

I'm on summer vaca!

My Mood/Status:
Chesney has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Chesney has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Chesney has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Chesney has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Chesney has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Chesney has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Chesney has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Chesney has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Chesney has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Chesney has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Chesney has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Our school has rented these.

School's out for me!

The Following User Says Thank You to Chesney For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2009, 05:54 PM

:-)
Supporting Member

sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I was going to post about the insurance also b/c friends of ours had a Chuck E Cheese type of business for a while and the bounce house inside was the biggest liability. I am fairly certain they had a $1 mil insurance policy on it, so it looks like you got a good number.

I think people who are looking to save $ on b-day parties by having them at home would look for something like this to add more excitement, but then I have no idea what the cost of having a party at a commercial bounce house facility would be. Last year I saw that a small neighborhood of townhomes in our area got together and rented one for the day for all the kids. Might be a different option to advertise to.

My friends w/the business found all kinds of used equipment once they were in contact w/industry groups and websites. Might help to take down the cost of investment/replacement. They found jungle gyms, bumper cars, lazer tag, arcade equipment, etc. I just don't know about the bouncers. I do remember them saying they had to be repaired often.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to sar1 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2009, 08:40 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
rapchef2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!rapchef2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!rapchef2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!rapchef2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!rapchef2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!rapchef2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!rapchef2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!rapchef2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!rapchef2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I'm a cheapo, so I personally wouldn't be likely to rent one for a birthday party. But it would be great for church events and pre-school parties. Think of marketing it to places like that. My kid's preschool bought one years ago that they use at the end of every school year for a big picnic.

If you live in a Wisteria Lane type of place, I'm sure lots of people would think your price was a bargain! Good luck! I've been racking my brain for business ideas, but it seems like anything I'm good at would have too much competition in the area or too many government hoops to jump through.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:22 PM

My Mood/Status:
Random Refunder has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Random Refunder has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Random Refunder has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Random Refunder has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Random Refunder has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Random Refunder has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Random Refunder has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Random Refunder has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Random Refunder has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Random Refunder has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Random Refunder has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Where do you live?
the reason I ask is that if you're in the north where it snows or gets cold for so many months during the year, then you would most likely have a hard time keeping it going all year long, which means you would have to rely on seasonal business.

Even here in TN where we get very little snow during the winter, you only see them out around Halloween when the church's have a fall fest for the youth groups, etc. I love the idea and am sure if my children were still little, I would do it for their birthdays (not every year $$$, but I don't believe $130 is too much for 4 hours. What ever you do, good luck!

(arcosta81, when I first glanced at your reply I thought it read that your family gets a "dRunk" tank every year! hahaha)
Old 07-23-2009, 07:37 PM

Couponing Mom of Five
couponing mom of five

My Mood/Status:
staviles has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!staviles has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!staviles has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!staviles has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!staviles has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!staviles has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!staviles has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!staviles has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!staviles has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!staviles has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!staviles has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I love these things and have rented them over and over again for birthdays for my 5 kids and my brother in Houston actually runs this type of business..but he also does table/chair rentals, customzied party invitations (think good software and paper for your computer ) for a complete birthday party package...it typically runs around $250, I think...he actually had to buy 2 more because he was having to turn down customers on weekends when he was getting double booked...but I might mention, that this is only a part time venture for him, as he works full time as a restaurant manager. Good luck and it sounds like you have a winner on your hands and are thinking ahead with the insurance!!
Old 07-25-2009, 07:28 AM

Thank You

I appreciate all of the replies. I live in Illinois and am thinking about this as strictly a seasonal, part time business. If I do start this business, it would be "launched" next March or April. Hopefully, that will give me enough time to get the bounce houses, insurance, do some ads, get a website, etc. To help get the business off of the ground (and give a break on the price) I would give 15-20% off for parties booked before May 1st. Thanks again!!