I Need Some Credit Advice

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Winter is back!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
doubledee4 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!doubledee4 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!doubledee4 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!doubledee4 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!doubledee4 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!doubledee4 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!doubledee4 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!doubledee4 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!doubledee4 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!doubledee4 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!doubledee4 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I need some credit advice

My dh lost his job after 29 years, and we are hurting! Does anyone know if any of these debt counseling places are any good? We are afraid to approach them! Some want money up front, others want us to file bankruptcy. We may lose our house, unemployment does not cover the bills at all...we need to do something and soon before we are getting hounded. I am embarrased to ask, but who else can I go to, I can not ask my kids they do not know how bad it is getting and how fast.
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2009, 05:26 PM

RE: I need some credit advice

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
whoojaflikit has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!whoojaflikit has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!whoojaflikit has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!whoojaflikit has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!whoojaflikit has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!whoojaflikit has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!whoojaflikit has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!whoojaflikit has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!whoojaflikit has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!whoojaflikit has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!whoojaflikit has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
The counciling places do more damage then filing for bankruptcy. I hope you find a solution. A great website for information is: CreditBoards (Powered by Invision Power Board)
The Following User Says Thank You to whoojaflikit For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2009, 05:32 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
superk has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!superk has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!superk has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!superk has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!superk has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!superk has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!superk has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!superk has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!superk has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!superk has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!superk has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
I agree with whoojaflikit...they do more damage. Keep the lines of communication open with all your debtors and see if you can work out a plan. They are more eager to help if you don't avoid them when they call.
The Following User Says Thank You to superk For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2009, 06:23 PM

is thinking about sleep
Hot Deal Hunter & Gatherer...

My Mood/Status:
kvilledrummer has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kvilledrummer has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kvilledrummer has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kvilledrummer has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kvilledrummer has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kvilledrummer has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kvilledrummer has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kvilledrummer has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
You should be able to do some work with them on the house based on Obama's stimulus package addition. They just passed another $75 billion to help people stave off foreclosure for people that are behind & in bad mortgage situations but do not owe more than 105% of actual value.

I don't think the package takes effect until early March, but I read in an article that if you qualify and may not make it until March that you may still get some leniency.

Obama's housing program is bigger than was planned

Hopefully, you have a bit of equity in the house to work with for them to help you restructure.....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kvilledrummer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2009, 11:07 AM

Happy New Year!

My Mood/Status:
FirealSwords has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!FirealSwords has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!FirealSwords has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!FirealSwords has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!FirealSwords has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!FirealSwords has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!FirealSwords has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!FirealSwords has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!FirealSwords has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!FirealSwords has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!FirealSwords has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have only known 2 people to actually do the counceling services and both were BAD experiences, and I know that everytime I read something about these places, it always says to avoid them. They take your money and don't pay the bills at all, so you wind up in a worse situation than you were in before. It's better to call the lenders directly and try to make a plan out with them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
15 years and goin' strong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DLG 1.14.05
BAG 2.13.06
The Following User Says Thank You to FirealSwords For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2009, 11:21 AM

Yea!! I was able to rebuild my pasta stockpile...
mom2louis&chloe

My Mood/Status:
asasser has posted more than 150 good deals!asasser has posted more than 150 good deals!
What those credit companies are doing is negotiating with your creditors about your payments and/or rates. You can do that FOR FREE yourself!! Also, just an FYI, if you DO go with one of those, your credit will go down the pot...it's looked at as worse than a bankruptcy to potential creditors in the future. And they really can't help you anyway (the legit ones, that is) unless you're already way behind on your bills.

My advice is that whoever can work needs to go out and take ANY JOB YOU CAN FIND, and more than one if necessary. I'm talking McDonalds, pizza delivery...ANYTHING.

Oh, and check out www "dot" daveramsey "dot" com and maybe check out one of his books at your local library.

Good luck!! And don't rely on the government to help you out. That's not what they're there for.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:32 AM

Winter is back!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
doubledee4 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!doubledee4 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!doubledee4 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!doubledee4 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!doubledee4 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!doubledee4 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!doubledee4 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!doubledee4 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!doubledee4 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!doubledee4 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!doubledee4 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I agree, but McDonalds does not even have a job available right now, my dh went to a job fair, he waited 2.5 hours just to get in the door to fill out an application, then 3.5 hours for the interview, he was C51. The job market here in Michigan is rough and more places are closing there doors everyday. He goes everyday and puts his resume door to door, some will accept others will tell him no. He has passed out over 50, and has had 2 respond back, with no, but thanks for applying. It is in our daily prayers that something will come through if it is in his plans. I just needed advice on what to do since we have talked to the bank and they won't budge until we are in foreclosure. I had hoped there was some other avenue out there before we had to get that far...we had perfect credit.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:43 AM

hard to get back to coupon-a-rama!

My Mood/Status:
artygirl has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!artygirl has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!artygirl has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!artygirl has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!artygirl has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!artygirl has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!artygirl has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!artygirl has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!artygirl has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!artygirl has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!artygirl has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
dd4~ So sorry to hear about your dh job- we are struggling too and my hubby has a job and i scrap around for money doing ebay,etc. You could try ebay but that isn't a long term thing unless you have a lot of stuff to sell.But it helps with small bills. I'm also looking forward to March and to see if the new housing plan will help us- I soooo feel your pain!

Also agree for you to talk to your crediters- and i think all states and counties have credit counseling that is free and doesn't hurt your credit- but not sure. Agree with other posters- don't go to a debt reduction agency~

Good luck to you-
Old 02-20-2009, 11:44 AM

hard to get back to coupon-a-rama!

My Mood/Status:
artygirl has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!artygirl has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!artygirl has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!artygirl has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!artygirl has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!artygirl has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!artygirl has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!artygirl has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!artygirl has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!artygirl has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!artygirl has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I just noticed you're from Michigan~ Things have been brutal for your state ( we are in NW Indiana and things are pretty bad here too) Hugs to you~
Old 02-20-2009, 11:45 AM

Yea!! I was able to rebuild my pasta stockpile...
mom2louis&chloe

My Mood/Status:
asasser has posted more than 150 good deals!asasser has posted more than 150 good deals!
Oh, and FYI: All expenses related to a job search (if it's in the same field as he was in previously) are tax deductible. My hubby just switched jobs in October (same field) and we got deductions for his mileage, gas, hotel, etc..from when he was job searching.

Good luck! Has he tried online job searching? I get a jobs list monthly of companies hiring people to work from home in all different fields of work. And they're legit jobs. PM me if you want more info.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:49 PM

Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
There are actually a few legit consumer credit counseling services. The following I borrowed from www.suzeormon.com

National Foundation for Credit Counseling
(800) 388-2227
Welcome to NFCC!
Also known as Consumer Credit Counseling Service (CCCS)
Based on your area code, your phone call will automatically be plugged into the NFCC office nearest you.

Debtors Anonymous
Debtors Anonymous General Services
P.O. Box 920888
Needham, MA 02492-0009

Debtors Anonymous is a 12 step spiritual self-help fellowship, modeled upon Alcoholics Anonymous. For information about the DA program and groups in your area, contact the General Service Office, 781-453-2743 (all calls are confidential) or Debtors Anonymous* - Recovery from Compulsive Debt.