How Do You Get The Most Savings?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2015, 01:51 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

itsybitdee has posted more than 10 good deals
How do you get the most savings?

To put it simply, i'm new at couponing. Currently, I collect inserts from the sunday paper, browse printable coupons, and keep an eye out for peelies.

But I don't think that is enough. It's rare that I find free/overage coupons and products. I think my average savings on a shopping trip is around 60% - and i'd really like to improve that!

So what i'm curious to know, is what the more seasoned couponers do to maximize their savings - or even make money after a purchase?

Thank you for any input!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to itsybitdee For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-05-2015, 03:24 AM

RE: How do you get the most savings?

I love coupon trains
AFC Moderator

My Mood/Status:
ctsunshine has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ctsunshine has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ctsunshine has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ctsunshine has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ctsunshine has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ctsunshine has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ctsunshine has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ctsunshine has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ctsunshine has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ctsunshine has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ctsunshine has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
My best advice is here:

Savvy couponing for beginners

If 60% off includes your groceries I'd say you're doing well.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I eat gluten free
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ctsunshine For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2015, 05:15 AM

My Mood/Status:
mcummins has posted more than 150 good deals!mcummins has posted more than 150 good deals!
I also use some apps that pay back, such as Checkout 51, Ibotta, Snap, and Saving Star. 60% is an awesome beginning.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mcummins For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2015, 07:27 AM

Lift while you climb

My Mood/Status:
tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Match coupons with sales with after-purchase offers (off-your-next-order catalinas, register rewards, extra care bucks, up rewards, apps). The money makers are the exception rather than the rule for even the most savvy of shoppers now a days.

Like others said above, 60% off if you're just starting is pretty darn good. That's more than a lot of long-time couponers consider a "successful" discount.
And it's 60% more of your budget left in your pocket at the end of the month. That adds up quickly. If you normally spent $200 a month and have saved 60%, you still have $120 left for other things. Wow!

DELTA region for Kroger stores

Are you looking for a way to give back to this great community?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tratra For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2015, 09:06 AM

Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
One of the main things when you are new to couponing is to have realistic expectations. Don't base your idea of success off a tv "reality" show, because those include people violating coupon policies all over the place, stores breaking their own coupon rules in exchange for publicity, people paying to buy coupons and not including that in their costs, and not buying their actual necessities - like fresh produce - in their televised trips. And stores being low or out of stock on hot items. Plus a bunch of other things I'm forgetting. Reality shows are not real life.

Also, if you are new, you often won't have a stockpile of staples, so there will be extra costs. One person might have 5 bottles of mustard, enough to last a few months, so they can wait it out until the next time there's a deal on it, while a newbie might just need mustard now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jakejake For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2015, 11:53 AM

qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I don't go by how much the store told me I "saved". My savings is what I used to spend compared to what I spend now. So if I used to spend $150 for groceries/week, and now spend $70, then my savings is $80/week. But the grocery store might say I save $100 each trip, really it's just that I am buying more stuff for my stockpile because it's a good deal this week. Hope that makes sense.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qrazy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2015, 12:43 PM

andrea044027 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!andrea044027 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!andrea044027 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!andrea044027 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!andrea044027 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!andrea044027 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!andrea044027 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
You won't save 80% plus or get free items every time. 60% is great start!!! At Target, you can use manufacturer coupons, target coupons, cartwheel, and get an additional 5% off using the target redcard. I have the debit card. If you catch a great deal and can use all four at once - you can get things super cheap!!! At minimum, I would wait and buy an item when you find it on sale or on clearance, you have a manufacturer coupon, and use the target redcard. I do most of my shopping at Target & CVS. Make sure to sign up for beauty club. You can use manufacturer & cvs coupons together too. I use extra bucks to buy more items that offer extra bucks OR buy things I need that I can't find a good deal on.

Last edited by andrea044027; 02-05-2015 at 05:55 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andrea044027 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2015, 05:42 PM

It's S-U-M-M-E-R!

My Mood/Status:
ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
There's a lot that goes into determining what you are saving.

-> Do you include the cost of coupons? If so, that reduces your savings.
-> Are you brand loyal? And I mean to anything... If so, that reduces your savings.
-> Is the 60% savings on groceries only? If that's the case then there probably isn't much else to do.
-> Do you still buy generics? Do you consider the generic vs brand name difference to be savings? Do you shop warehouse stores, e.g. Winco, Aldi, Costco, Sams Club? Are you beating their generic prices?
-> Are you just not getting any MMs or free products each month? If that's the case then you are probably ready to start rolling rewards at a drugstore.
-> Are you in a state that taxes everything at the pre-coupon price? If so, you'll continue to pay taxes on everything including those MMs which will reduce your savings.
-> Do you include your budget savings into your calculations? After 6 months, you'll start to not only save at the store, but will have started to reduce what you buy each month as well.
-> Are you maximizing rebates? Apps, mail-ins, and drugstores...
-> Have you broken the savings down to determine which area you need to focus on? Household, convenience foods, groceries, transportation, medications, etc.

It's difficult to provide advice without more specific information.
!
The Following User Says Thank You to ReuschHome For This Useful Post: