PDA

View Full Version : Turning away customers

girlygirljess05
09-16-2009, 11:07 AM
My cousin went with me today to Harris Teeter. She's been collecting her some coupons so she could get in on all the great deals she sees me getting. Well she's never been to Harris Teeter, so we went to get her a card. She had her DL #, but not her actual DL, b/c her car was broken into two days ago... which was already stressful enough. Well long story short, they wouldn't let her get a card b/c she didn't have her DL! Now I Understand they are trying to keep track of cards, but to turn away potential customers because they don't have a DL or don't have it with them is crazy! I honestly dont think she cares to shop at HT now, and she was so excited. We ended up just walking out of the store (I wasn't buying anything, b/c I did my run at midnight). She called customer service to complain about their policy and after CS told her there is no way around the DL thing, she asked them "so you just turn customers away", and the customer service lady replied "yep we sure do".

jeanmpt
09-16-2009, 11:19 AM
That is terrible! I would recommend contacting corporate, but I have had little success when I have done it, so!

That is why I like some of the other stores better. You can get a card without any effort. You just ask for an application and tell them that you want to fill it out later and that is it.

sar1
09-16-2009, 11:29 AM
I'm sure it's to limit people getting multiple cards per household, but it seems really weird. There are a lot of people who don't even have driver's licenses. If you're elderly and have had your licensed revoked for poor eyesight or some other reason, do you get to keep your license for reasons like this? That's crap.

Thinking about it more, I'm actually now more mad at the people who have faked info to get multiple cards and do more transactions b/c they've forced HT to adopt this policy. When you walked away from CS the person probably shook their head like "sure your license was stolen - heard that one 1,000 times before!"

momof2sweetkids
09-16-2009, 12:12 PM
I'm sure it's to limit people getting multiple cards per household, but it seems really weird. There are a lot of people who don't even have driver's licenses. If you're elderly and have had your licensed revoked for poor eyesight or some other reason, do you get to keep your license for reasons like this? That's crap.

Thinking about it more, I'm actually now more mad at the people who have faked info to get multiple cards and do more transactions b/c they've forced HT to adopt this policy. When you walked away from CS the person probably shook their head like "sure your license was stolen - heard that one 1,000 times before!"

This is crazy but my guess is then you would have to use a state issued id card. I think it is crazy that they want our Drivers Liscence number. I mean they already have our address to link it to. When my mom got her card earlier this year she asked them why they needed her DL # and they said it was check cashing purposes. Mom told them that she wouldn't be cashing any checks there anyway. As she is a house wife and my dads check is direct deposit. So they then told her the didn't need the DL #. So i am not sure if the DL # is for tracking people or check cashing. All i do know is they didn't get my moms DL #. HTH

Op: Sorry this happened to her. I wish i had a better answer as to why they did her this way. You would think in this economey they would want as many people in the store as possible. A friend of mine just got a VIC Card last triples and she doesn't drive so i know they didn't use her DL #. Maybe try another store?? I don't know if it would work or not. HTH

sar1
09-16-2009, 12:15 PM
If you go to the online application for a card it doesn't look like it's required.
https://www.harristeeter.com/promotions/vic_programs/vic_application/vic_card_application.aspx

Other fields are marked w/the red asterisk, but that area is not. Maybe she should try that.

Moggy
09-16-2009, 12:24 PM
I tried it sar1 - it will go through w/o the ID info but I wonder if the first time you use the card they will ask you for ID?

kricket92
09-16-2009, 12:35 PM
I tried it sar1 - it will go through w/o the ID info but I wonder if the first time you use the card they will ask you for ID?

No they won't because that is how I applied. I never knew they needed your DL. There is no reason they should need your DL info that is a little to personal.

MrsG
09-16-2009, 01:07 PM
Maybe it's new? Still, it's shoddy, and I feel like your friend needs a champion - some good, old-fashioned American complaining is strictly in order. That's discrimination, not everyone can drive - for example, my friend who has epilepsy is not *allowed* to drive because of her potential for having an attack while driving.

Something similar happened to me when I returned to the U.S. after having living overseas for 12 years: I didn't have a Visa card (from this country) and could not create a Blockbuster Video card! So all I can think of is there is some filing reason for it. Still, I wouldn't blame her for feeling bitter. I know I would! It's a DISCOUNT card, people!! Good grief!

babybears
09-16-2009, 01:31 PM
go on their website and leave your feedback in the contact us sections. I have had great results doing this. I am sure they will make up for the error.

momof2sweetkids
09-16-2009, 02:32 PM
I just got back from Ht and the person in front of me didn't have a vic card. Well they went and got her one and she didn't have to fill out anything :eek2: :confused2:. They just got the card, scanned it, and gave it to her and she put it in her purse.

Jaime
09-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Wow I'm shocked! :what:

kmard81
09-16-2009, 02:50 PM
I am sorry that happened but I have to agree its so that others cannot obtain multiple cards. Some people ruin it for all of us honest one. Just like the person posted today about someone using her phone number. I guess HT just has to cover themselves ya know.

jevans1120
09-16-2009, 06:16 PM
I think it's stupid they didn't issue her a card. However, I am VERY happy to hear that they would not issue a card to someone who has a DL# with them but no proof it is THEIR DL#. There's too much fraud with credit cards and ID theft.

HT is not responsible for knowing when it is legitimate DL#'s or not. No proof of ID, then they legally can't use that number. It's possible they didn't even consider doing the app w/out it. They were focused on the fact that she had a DL# but no DL. That probably would throw up red flags to any customer service person. Sorry your cousin was inconvenienced and you had a bad experience.

Apply for one w/out the DL or next time take the DL with you. Cut the customer services reps some slack.

girlygirljess05
09-17-2009, 04:48 AM
I think it's stupid they didn't issue her a card. However, I am VERY happy to hear that they would not issue a card to someone who has a DL# with them but no proof it is THEIR DL#. There's too much fraud with credit cards and ID theft.

HT is not responsible for knowing when it is legitimate DL#'s or not. No proof of ID, then they legally can't use that number. It's possible they didn't even consider doing the app w/out it. They were focused on the fact that she had a DL# but no DL. That probably would throw up red flags to any customer service person. Sorry your cousin was inconvenienced and you had a bad experience.

Apply for one w/out the DL or next time take the DL with you. Cut the customer services reps some slack.

Nope they said she had to have the DL, she never actually gave them her DL #, but when she finished the ap they told her they needed to see it and when she told them she did know the number but didn't have her license they said they can't do an app without a DL.

Moggy
09-17-2009, 04:53 AM
No they won't because that is how I applied. I never knew they needed your DL. There is no reason they should need your DL info that is a little to personal.

How recently was that kricket? They didn't used to ask you for your ID, its a new policy since they started tracking households and enforcing the 20 q's a day limit.

lauralovesdeals
09-17-2009, 05:37 AM
I got my card around 8 months ago and they asked for it then. The lady that was working when I was filling mine out said that they had to do that when they started doing 'bonus' type things like triples because there would be one person coming in and getting dozens of cards and 'buy' all the free items. She told me one lady came in with her six children and each child would use a card even though they were all very young.

Moggy
09-17-2009, 05:41 AM
Wow laura, some people have a lot of nerve, don't they?

waitin2flyaway
09-17-2009, 06:37 AM
I got my card around 8 months ago and they asked for it then. The lady that was working when I was filling mine out said that they had to do that when they started doing 'bonus' type things like triples because there would be one person coming in and getting dozens of cards and 'buy' all the free items. She told me one lady came in with her six children and each child would use a card even though they were all very young.

i know it isn't right to judge, so maybe this family was in DESPERATE hard times, but some people are intentionally greedy and it just ruins it for everyone else. i wish i had a harris-teeter...ours shut down maybe 5 years ago =(

OP: sorry about what happened, it sucks when someone we want to get into couponing gets discouraged. i would def contact corp because even if that IS their policy, at least you can get an apology for how she was treated.

mdrlnya
09-21-2009, 06:50 AM
I got mine without my DL info, but it was difficult. I told them that under no circumstances did they need a DL number for me to shop there and I simply wouldn't provide it--identity theft is already too easy, without an extra piece of paper floating around that has my DL info and addy on it!!!!!! They had to get the mgr to approve, and it seemed to be a big pain, but I don't see how they could REFUSE a card to anyone--that's discrimination.

ncscgirl2005
09-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Way to stand your ground. I don't think I had to use my number when I applied but that was almost a year ago.