PDA

View Full Version : Post Your Triples Advice for Newbies (& Oldies!)

jenawood20
02-03-2009, 03:44 AM
I've noticed there are a lot of people new to tripling, so I thought it might be good to start a thread with what you've learned about the best way to maximize your tripling! I'll start:

-Keep a list of the items you're going to get & the coupons you're going to use. Try to keep your coupon organizer in the same order.

-First buy the things you NEED, and buy multiples if they are non-perishables.

Save-A-Lot
02-03-2009, 04:50 AM
I typically buy my free's first... they always go the fastest.

Be nice to the cashiers! They have a busy few days!

aidan&logansmommy
02-03-2009, 05:12 AM
I make a list the night before, and usually separate my coupons into stacks of 20 based on what I am buying.

I also go for the frees first, because my HT does not restock often.

I am always nice to the cashiers and I try to help my fellow shoppers if I see someone buying something that I have coupons for. I am always amazed at the number of people I see in HT during triple coupon days without any coupons!

bedinky1207
02-03-2009, 05:20 AM
Since I have a binder last time I went through and put sticky tabs on all the coupons I had planned on using and all the items I wanted to price check.

sar1
02-03-2009, 05:40 AM
Don't waste triples by using coupons like the $0.75/1 Trident or $0.75/1 Beech Nut Juice IP b/c they make the item free when it just doubles. You'd be surprised at how quickly you can add up 20 coupons.

Before you get to the register, organize your q's, make sure you have the right ones for that trip, and shuffle the stack so that the same q's aren't together or the cashier might not catch all of them when scanning. IP's stick together a lot. (Thanks AFC - learned that here!)

A good place to stand to organize your coupons is next to the Depends. Not a lot of traffic. And if your child happens to knock one off the shelf while you are distracted by shuffling and re-counting to 20, no damage done.

Check endcaps everywhere, especially for items that are on sale. I found a full shelf of Pepperidge Farm Baked Naturals over near pet food when the regular shelf was completely empty.

If a shelf of something you really wanted is empty, don't be afraid to ask an employee working in that area if there's more in the back.

jenawood20
02-03-2009, 06:20 AM
Get up early on Sundays and check the new coupon inserts. Last time I got 10 papers and checked them against Express Lane. Got to the store at about 11:30 and got tons of frees before anyone else thought of it. But people catch on quick, because by the time I made my final trip Sunday night all the frees were gone!

houstonhomestead
02-03-2009, 09:24 AM
I always group categories together. For example I group all Frozen together. All Dairy together, etc.

It makes it easier for me. I usually go multiple times and it helps to go to one or two sections at a time.

Happy Tripling!

UNCMomof2
02-03-2009, 09:47 AM
Every time they triple, I ask questions about if their coupon policy has changed and if I can return and make another trip through the store. I prefer to do that rather than separate my items in the cart for two transactions (I'm afraid I might forget which items are in which order or if it's busy the person behind will get mad). I prefer that they know what I am going to do before they wonder why this crazy lady is entering the store for a 2nd time after putting all the groceries in the trunk! And I like to be prepared since every HT has slightly different policies about IPs.

Anyway, the exercise is good for me :) And DS loves shopping carts, free cookies and balloons (hope it's not windy, they flew away last time from INSIDE the car).

Myhappyhome
02-03-2009, 10:52 AM
I agree with Sar1. Use your 20 coupons wisely they do go fast! My first triple I went everyday and had very little oop but I didn't have anything I could use. I spent a lot of time at harris teeter and a lot of gas (25 minutes away) and had tons of cheerios, pickles and tic tacs. I don't like cheerios, I'm still eating on the first jar of pickles and my kids got cavities eating all those tic tacs lol...
You live and learn. I have learned to buy the items that I will use. This week it will be Smithfield bacon, Gain, Wholly Guacamole these are my have to haves. I will buy these items everyday that I go then I will fill in the remaining 20q with free or cheap items

carriemb2
02-03-2009, 01:26 PM
I usually do one trip of dry good and one trip of refrig/frozen. I'm not sure why I do it that way. lol

AshburnMom
02-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Like any other trip, be sure to pay attention as they scan your q's! Sometimes they don't always go through or triple or whatever. It's easier to fix on the spot if there's a mistake!

HT's usually have one day of the week that they give an additional 5% off to seniors! Maximize your savings and bring a senior with you if you don't qualify!! Ready, Mom?? ;)

Be organized and have a plan! Sort out your q's before you get to the store so you know what you're looking for! LOVE the idea of standing next to the depends!!

Bring a calculator and/or a sticky with the triple amounts on it (i.e., 3 x .55 = 1.65; 3 x .75 = 2.25). It will make your decision making easier. Or pre-check the price on things using the online Express Lane.

And, tie down those balloons!! Because they always fly away!! Thanks for the reminder UNCMom!

UNCMomof2
02-03-2009, 05:40 PM
About the balloons - if an employee happens to be getting the shopping carts from outside, he may offer to get you new balloons :) However, if they fly out after you get home the second time, you're out of luck!!!! That's just one reason I like HT - and I don't mind spending money there (I sometimes feel guilty about saving so much with triples though)...

OMG, I looked on the Express Lane just now and the prices are already reflective of tomorrow's ad... is that normal???!!!

Another hint - I always write down the original price and the coupon amt/quantity on my list and I LABEL my sheets TRIP 1, TRIP2, etc. and paper clip the coupons to the back. I always do the refrig/perishables last! I save the list for the next triples event, since some items have good coupons all the time.

Shoppinglizzard
02-03-2009, 07:11 PM
I posted last time there were triples that if you carpool take different colored yarn or string per person and tie your bag handles so you can tell whose bags are whose just by glancing at them.
Also if you have a coupon that is $$ of 2 of an item sit that one aside and tell the cashier that you want to make sure the register triples the coupon. Sometimes it will only triple to the price of one item and not give you the full triple value. The Knorr sides coupon is a good example of that. It is a 0.75/2 but the sides are only something like $1.45 so you have to make sure the register triples the coupon since you are buying two.

jenawood20
03-02-2009, 12:10 PM
:bump: for newbies! Feel free to keep adding on!

ston66i
03-02-2009, 01:52 PM
all the info is wonderful and will definately be followed but how do you determine what coupons will need to be bought/traded to get best value. We dont have a copy of sales ad so do you just triple against current price - wont they mark price up before triple sale?

jenawood20
03-02-2009, 02:03 PM
If you log onto Harris Teeter - Home (http://www.harristeeter.com) and look at the top right-hand side of the page you'll see a link for the Express Lane. Just put in your zip code and choose the store closest to you to get a general idea for what prices are for products you need. Although they may mark up a few products, they generally stay the same. Also, don't be surprised if there's a slight difference between prices at the store you're searching online and your home store. Someone will post a preview of the ad as soon as they get it, and then various volunteers post good deals in the forum and on the shopping list.

aullberg
03-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Make a list of *all* the items you want. If it's out, it's easy to move onto the next item on your list.

Next to each item, write down how many you'd ideally like of that item. It's helpful to have a pencil to mark which items you get and how many of each you pick up.

Put the ones you want the most towards the top of the list.

CM_ANGEL
03-02-2009, 03:13 PM
I empty out my binder so it includes ONLY the q's that I want to use during triples. It is easy because I just take the baseball card pages out of the ones I don't need. It helps sooooooo much.

ncscgirl2005
03-02-2009, 04:40 PM
A good place to stand to organize your coupons is next to the Depends. Not a lot of traffic. And if your child happens to knock one off the shelf while you are distracted by shuffling and re-counting to 20, no damage done.

Hilarious!!!!!

jeanmpt
03-02-2009, 05:31 PM
I take all my coupons for the triples, regardless of how many trips I have planned. I always want to do 20 coupons on each transaction.

7:30 am is a great time for my store. Empty and you gan get through the check out quickly!

JEP
03-03-2009, 06:46 PM
I scan my couponds and make a list of the ones i'm most interested in tripling
I take that list and my small recorder to a Walmartor Bottom Dollar and record their prices
Then at home i transfer prices to my list so i can compare when i'm at HT

I pre print the triple amounts of couponds on top of my list
I take paper clips for each stack of 20 couponds
I take an envelope to place any couponds i've used in to keep up with

allison_2737
03-03-2009, 06:51 PM
If you log onto Harris Teeter - Home (http://www.harristeeter.com) and look at the top right-hand side of the page you'll see a link for the Express Lane. Just put in your zip code and choose the store closest to you to get a general idea for what prices are for products you need. Although they may mark up a few products, they generally stay the same. Also, don't be surprised if there's a slight difference between prices at the store you're searching online and your home store. Someone will post a preview of the ad as soon as they get it, and then various volunteers post good deals in the forum and on the shopping list.

Ok...want to hear something funny.. I heard you all talk about express lane.. and I 'thought' that someone was actually going to actual store and scanning the items to find out the prices.. too funny!~

jenawood20
03-17-2009, 06:30 PM
:bump: for newbies! :kissme:

nov05mama
03-18-2009, 08:43 PM
Great info everyone!! I am SO excited about the upcoming triples!! I was a triples virgin until roughly 3 months ago and now I am ADDICTED :P

lovelyscraps
03-19-2009, 05:30 AM
OK all you triple queens I need help! I looked through my coupons last night and I don't have too many coupons under .99 - it seems like everyone has caught on lately and is just doing $1.00 coupons. Where do you find ones that can be tripled? help!!

jenawood20
03-19-2009, 10:05 AM
OK all you triple queens I need help! I looked through my coupons last night and I don't have too many coupons under .99 - it seems like everyone has caught on lately and is just doing $1.00 coupons. Where do you find ones that can be tripled? help!!

You just come across them. I get TONS in my newspaper inserts, find them in stores on hang tags, tearpads, blinkies (MAKE SURE THE BARCODE STARTS WITH A 5, NOT A 9), you can trade with people in the FSOT forums, you can buy them from various clipping services and eBay sellers...they pile up quickly!

sar1
03-19-2009, 10:56 AM
There's still time to trade, but don't panic b/c triples is likely to happen again w/in the next 2 months. It sounds like a long time, but it goes by quickly. Trust me - you'll be taking note of every coupon you get that is under $1 and when it expires just in case for triples.

You can also check out coupons.com and other printable sites for good ones for triples.

salvarenga
03-19-2009, 11:07 AM
I know I've saw it before but cannot find it now. Does anyone know what the coupon clipping website is that has the sort feature where you can sort the coupons by value?

terri3000
03-19-2009, 12:03 PM
Try these coupon.com, couponbug, and even smartsource they have great coupons also look under our printable coupons there are coupons in there that is under .99cents.

Remember if you can like was said above go to the express lane UNDER THE HARRIS TEETER WEB SITE and find out the regular price and triple the coupon that is under .99 cents and write it down how much you will pay and at the end of your list total everything and that way you will know the price range you will be spending, so that way if any of the stuff you are getting is on sale that week and you did not note that, that means more savings on your total.

bellsandbabies
03-23-2009, 02:03 PM
Here is what I do from start to finish :)

1. First I read AFC and find out what the ad will be before triples start (if leaked) and what the best deals will be.
2. I make a list of what I want using the prices found on the HT Express Lane (http://www.harristeeter.com/shopping/express_lane/express_lane.aspx). My list cosists of several columns: Item name, Price, Coupon, Tripled Price, Out of pocket cost and how many coupons I have for that item. Here is a link (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pPvbcgkPDu3McdiVRxPmleQ&hl=en)to my spreadsheet that shows this. I also dont make a list of just 20. I always just make a list of ALL the items I want to get.
3. Sort my list so that it goes isle by isle. In other words, the bread section is first so those go first, then I go to the produce so my produce items are listed next, then I go down the first isle which has the mayo and such. This helps me to not miss anything on my list making me go all over the store over and over again. I learned that the hard way!
4. Print my list out (I dont pull coupons because there is always items that are out of stock during triples so pulling coupons really messed me up)
5. SHOP: this is the fun part. I get an adreneline rush everytime! So when I get to HT I pull my list and start shopping from right to left following my list. First item I find, I pull 3 of them since HT will only triple 3 like items (Or if I am using IP's I pull 2 because HT only takes 2 like IPs). I keep track of what I get and when I get to 20 items I stop.
6. At this point I decide if there are other items on my list that I need more and make a decision to put back one or two items and get the other items. As long as my coupon total does not go over 20.
7. Now that I have all of my items in my cart, I head over to the wine section where there is normally no shopping traffic and park my cart. I open my coupon binder up in the shopping cart seat and start to pull my coupons. I already know that I have the coupons, because it is on my list. Once I pull the coupons, I match them up to the products to make sure I got everything I was supposed to get. I count the coupons to make sure there are 20.
8. Checkout. I hand my card to them First. Then I watch the screen to make sure everything is ringing up correctly. I then hand over my coupons and watch closely that none get missed and they all triple. Then when my total is next to nothing, I smile and pay! :)
9. Most importantly, I am patient and nice and chit chat with the employees and managers and HAVE FUN!!!!

agy
03-23-2009, 02:38 PM
Hi lovelyscraps, Im a newbie too but you can find those coupons in the sunday newspaper or click in coupon and go to printable coupons also surf around AFC forum, sometimes they post some printable coupons. Hope this help!!

katiebug'smema
04-26-2010, 11:02 AM
If you have more than one coupon for the same item, especially if they are cut exactly the same, place them in seperate places in your pile.
I turn some coupons upside down,etc,mix large ones, small ones. But keep all of them face up for easy scanning. They do not stick together as easily.
How many time have we came away from the store and one or more stuck together and was not tripled.If I happen to see one that did not get counted, I try to nicely point it out, but if I get home and one has been missed, I just forget it. Remember the clerks deal with this all week and will probably remember you if you start too much of an argument.
After all, we really do save lots of money and I just hope they continue to double and triple.

NCmom
04-26-2010, 01:46 PM
I mix mine all up so no two similar are together. I also write a detailed list of what I plan to get along with about how much it will cost so that if one doesn't get scanned and it always does, I can usually stand by the customer service and count before I leave. I think someone posted they will do dry goods trips and refrigerated trips. I do the same at the beginning and try to get the frees I think everyone else will want right away. Some stuff, like the Dannon 4packs that are free with Food Lion blinkies probably won't be out, it is only with insert coupons that things will be out.

foodie
04-26-2010, 05:56 PM
When I have organized my "high-valued" coupons 1st, then I write down the coupon value before and after Triples (or Super Doubles), and the $ amount it will be after Tripled and/or Super Doubled. For example, if I have a Tide coupon for $.50 and it will Triple to $1.50 with sale, I write down Tide, how many Manufacturer Coupons I have for that particular item, $ amount of coupon before Tripled or Doubled, etc., and how much $ amount will be after coupons are doubled, etc.

See example--

Tide Manufacturer Coupon, Amt. before Sale Value is $.50, # of MQ(s)--1, $ amt. after Tripled and/or Doubled will be $1.50.

Tide 1/$.50=1/$1.50.

Then I add up my FINAL Tripled/Doubled Coupon $ amount and that way I keep straight how many coupons I have that are Manufacturer Coupons and what the Tripled and/or Doubled $ amount will be when I checkout. Always check your receipts too to be sure coupons Tripled, etc. correctly. By writing down the product info, Manufacturer Coupon $ amount, how many Manufacturer coupons you have for that particular product, and the FINAL $ amount coupons are Tripled, etc., you have a record of your transactions. Cashiers and CSM(s) will be able to see your records for adjustments.

Also, I organize my IP(s) and other "special coupons" (Competitor Coupons, etc.) in order of importance that I am using them for my transactions.

Don't forget to use the $20 Rx VIC card credit and scan your VIC Card AFTER all "deals" are done for Triples, etc. Your $20 VIC Card credit will be deducted at end for better savings. (See my post on the HT forum called "HT New Fairfax, VA Grand Opening..." for info.)

Also, don't forget to get rain checks when applicable and save to use later with coupons.

Hope that helps--

Foodie:biggrin:

Myrna Fanney
04-27-2010, 05:00 AM
I didn't see the "Ht Fairfax Grand opening" post. Where is it?

couponsha
04-27-2010, 11:52 AM
The key is organization.:smile: the night before I oragnize my ques in groups of 20. I mix with free items as well as really good deal ques. I then have small envies that I put each group of ques in and label for each day...I also place them in one of those small sectional coupon sorters by day. I am a busy mom and wife so I need to be in and out quickly. One thing that works for me is RAIN CHECKS...I hold onto my rainchecks until the next triples and then I am able to get what might have been sold out last time. :biggrin: Always have an idea of what you need so you can go right to that section and get it

foodie
04-27-2010, 01:13 PM
The post for the Fairfax, VA thread is called "Grand Opening 02/10/10 New HT Fairfax, VA Store...". This was info for Rx(s) that also applies to other Grand Opening stores not just in N VA areas.

Hope this helps--

foodie
04-27-2010, 02:04 PM
"Competitor Coupons List..." thread is updated!

MichelleI
04-28-2010, 03:06 PM
I have a newbie question.

Say I'm purchasing something for $0.99 and I have a $.50q will they triple the coupon or just give me the item for free?

Thanks

MichelleI
04-28-2010, 08:56 PM
I make a list the night before, and usually separate my coupons into stacks of 20 based on what I am buying.

I also go for the frees first, because my HT does not restock often.

I am always nice to the cashiers and I try to help my fellow shoppers if I see someone buying something that I have coupons for. I am always amazed at the number of people I see in HT during triple coupon days without any coupons!

I am a newbie and have heard about making lists before and always thought it would take to much time, but I did it this time. Boy did it help! I put what size I had to get, quanity, coupon amount, and tripled amount by each item. When I was in the store I also wrote down how much the items were-so I knew how much I was saving.

The one thing I think I would add is a list of extras in case they were out or it wasn't as good of a deal as I thought it would be, I ended up not getting 7 of the items on my list of 20 and exchanged them for other coupons that were in my tomorrow pile (luckily I took them too.)

lallyy
04-28-2010, 09:36 PM
I suggest you find out whether or not you can make more than one trip per day. My HT only allows 20 coupons per transaction/day. I tried to shop for my mom after shopping for myself and the manager approached me and told me I could shop but that my qs would be at face value after 20 for the day. Hope that makes sense. Also, make sure you only have 3 of the same item (or less). My manager watches all couponers and is a stickler! That is a nice word for him. And be prepared to find many of the items out of stock...even on the first day. Take coupons to fill the space of the item that's not available. HTH YMMV