What Do U Think Of Aldi's Fish, Meats And Fruits/veggies?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2009, 01:15 PM
sleepy

My Mood/Status:
sunkistbaby has posted more than 300 great deals!sunkistbaby has posted more than 300 great deals!sunkistbaby has posted more than 300 great deals!sunkistbaby has posted more than 300 great deals!
Question What do u think of Aldi's fish, meats and fruits/veggies?

I just went to Aldi's for the first time after I heard about a new one that opened up in my neighborhood. I really just went to see how or what it was all about . I just bought a few things like a bag of chips, some hummus, some cereal and bread. I was very hesitant to buy any of the fruit and veggies as they looked old and dirty. I wasn't sure about the meats, I remember they had lots of ground turkey and ground beef. Also they had lots of frozen seafood but wasn't sure either.

For those of you that shop or have shopped at Aldis' is their food quality good? What do you realy like and what would you not buy?

I opened up the bag of baked popcorn and it was really salty, the hummus was good and haven't tried the cereal yet. Thanks
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunkistbaby For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 09-13-2009, 03:27 PM

RE: What do u think of Aldi's fish, meats and fruits/veggies?

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
puterperfect814 has posted more than 300 great deals!puterperfect814 has posted more than 300 great deals!puterperfect814 has posted more than 300 great deals!puterperfect814 has posted more than 300 great deals!
I shop aldis weekly prices have gone up but there r a few things I wont buy there because I have and dont like flavors like the brownie mixes are horrible and the salsa has been really sour lately hope this helps
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to puterperfect814 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2009, 03:34 PM

Missing my mom

My Mood/Status:
tnyankee13 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!tnyankee13 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!tnyankee13 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!tnyankee13 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!tnyankee13 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!tnyankee13 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!tnyankee13 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I always buy pork chops there & the frozen cooked shrimp. Both are really good & you can't beat the prices anywhere. My kids love the cereal & their cheese too!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tnyankee13 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2009, 03:36 PM

Trying to figure it out... :)

My Mood/Status:
kate2348 has posted more than 300 great deals!kate2348 has posted more than 300 great deals!kate2348 has posted more than 300 great deals!kate2348 has posted more than 300 great deals!
I have been happy with the dairy prices; milk is usually $1.49/gallon and sour cream/cream cheese is cheap and seems to be the same as a typical grocery store. Also, their orange juice is quite good. I have purchased bacon there, and it was okay. I have never tried beef or chicken, although I have been happy with their frozen seafood. I have purchased stuffed tilapia which were good and they have a stir fry mix (chicken or shrimp). I think the shrimp one is great, but was not thrilled with the chicken one. Other than that, I pretty much stay away from all of the packaged items like cake mixes, sauces, etc, and can't bring myself to buy fruit/veggies there unless I have checked every piece of fruit in the package. There seems to be a prevalence of mold and bad spots.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kate2348 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2009, 04:00 PM

My Mood/Status:
bumperchic has posted more than 300 great deals!bumperchic has posted more than 300 great deals!bumperchic has posted more than 300 great deals!bumperchic has posted more than 300 great deals!
I buy my eggs, cheese, chips, all of my canned goods and my veggies there. The only kind of fish I have ever bought was the frozen fish.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bumperchic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2009, 04:45 PM

My Mood/Status:
nikiz has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!nikiz has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!nikiz has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!nikiz has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!nikiz has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!nikiz has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!nikiz has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!nikiz has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!nikiz has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!nikiz has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!nikiz has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have had really good luck w/ Aldi's meat, and frozen seafood. I think it is great!! I generally try top stay away from the produce unless I will use it that day or the next, no longer!!! I have had it go bad really fast, and gotten fruit flies from the produce.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikiz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2009, 06:31 PM

ereml27 has posted more than 5 good deals
I LOVE shoping at ALDI's - the prices are good and it's a simple shopping trip: For example, if you need a can of corn they have 1 kind of corn. No comparisson shopping, no mental gymnastics. This is why my single male friends love the store so much...no thinking involved.

To answer your question: I do like the meats and lunchmeats at ALDI. I often buy the fresh ground beef, pork chops...and my faorite is the bag of chicken breasts.

I agree with the produce - it's hit or miss. Sometimes it's very nice looking, and sometimes it's just terrible. This time of year I normally go to the farmer's market or local farm stand before hitting the stores...so it's not a big deal at this time.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ereml27 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2009, 06:35 PM

rlamlt has posted more than 10 good deals
Fruits and veggies

I've gotten the fruits and veggies but you have to use them quickly. They don't last as long as the produce from like Sam's club. I pay a little more at Sam's but the produce lasts twice as long as that from other stores. I figure I save in the long run!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rlamlt For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2009, 10:46 PM

sleepy

My Mood/Status:
sunkistbaby has posted more than 300 great deals!sunkistbaby has posted more than 300 great deals!sunkistbaby has posted more than 300 great deals!sunkistbaby has posted more than 300 great deals!
Oh speaking of a post above on brownie mixes. I forgot that I did buy a box of brownie mix. It is a ghiradelli double chocolate brownie mix. I"ll let you know how it turned out.
Thanks for all your posts. I think I will go back and buy maybe the pack of tilapia frozen fish, and or a bag of the shrimp to try it out. I was afraid of buying the produce and getting sick as it was bad looking.
The Following User Says Thank You to sunkistbaby For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2009, 06:55 AM

My Mood/Status:
1individual has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!1individual has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!1individual has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!1individual has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!1individual has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!1individual has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!1individual has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!1individual has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!1individual has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I used to shop at Aldi all the time.....until I discovered how much $$$ I could save using coupons and shopping @ Kroger, Schnucks, Target, etc. I still think Aldi is good for basic things like flour, oil, rolled oats, etc. Their produce used to be great, but it has gotten worse lately - very poor quality, limp broccoli, moldy onions and potatoes. Even tho it may be cheaper, the money you lose when it all spoils makes it more expensive!

I don't buy their meat. We are pretty much loyal to Costco. I like seeing where it comes from! I agree that their dairy products are great, but you have to keep an eye on their milk. It seems to sour more quickly than milk from other stores. I also have been happy w/their frozen and canned veggies, pasta, mac and cheese, rice, oj, instant mocha & cappuccino (yum!), tortillas, garbage bags. Oh, and I used to alway buy the bags of frozen tilapia - very good.

Also keep your eyes open for their Special Purchases. I have found their pots and pans to be (mostly) very high quality. Really nice for the price. They seem to have cut back a bit on their specials tho....we used to really look forward to what they would have each week. I love the stuff they have @ Christmas and Easter. Really nice candy/chocolate.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 1individual For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2009, 08:08 AM

loves AFC!!!!!!!!

My Mood/Status:
s1998b has posted more than 400 great deals!s1998b has posted more than 400 great deals!s1998b has posted more than 400 great deals!s1998b has posted more than 400 great deals!s1998b has posted more than 400 great deals!
Last week I bought 2 pineapples, a container of strawberries, a container of grapes and a package of bananas from Aldi's. I immediately made a fruit salad and froze the extra pineapple. The pineapple was the sweetest and juiciest I had tasted in a while. And at $1.29 each, it was a tough price to beat, I thought. The bananas did go bad quickly. (But they were more ripe than usual when I bought them - didn't have any "green" ones to choose from). HTH Good luck!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to s1998b For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2009, 01:24 PM

My Mood/Status:
Georgiameme has posted more than 5 good deals
I shop at Aldi weekly for most everything. Have just been going to regular grocery stores for the items I can't get at Aldi since they don't carry everything you might need. However, I've really been happy with most of the products they have. Most of them are as good as, or better than, regular name brands. I like their meat also. I've bought pork chops, ground beef, fresh ground turkey (and frozen also), turkey tenderloin and both fresh and frozen chicken. Sometimes the produce is not very good but sometimes it is - just depends. I love their prices!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Georgiameme For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2009, 02:41 PM

hasn't found any good deals lately
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
mcdlady1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mcdlady1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mcdlady1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mcdlady1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mcdlady1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mcdlady1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mcdlady1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mcdlady1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mcdlady1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mcdlady1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mcdlady1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I like the frozen talapia and shrimp, the vegetable are generally good but fruit you have to watch
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcdlady1 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2009, 02:46 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
mtdt3237 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mtdt3237 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mtdt3237 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mtdt3237 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mtdt3237 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mtdt3237 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mtdt3237 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I LOVE the fruit and veggies there! They taste soooo much better and are cheaper than most places. They do not last as long but if you eat them like my family, it doesn't matter!

As far as everything else, I only stick with name brand. I just don't like the taste of the generic stuff they have.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtdt3237 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2009, 06:15 PM

jenerationx has posted more than 100 good deals!jenerationx has posted more than 100 good deals!
I've had good luck with the fruit and veggies. Just picked up grapes for $1.58 for two pounds.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jenerationx For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2009, 06:22 PM

is always on the lookout for Panda Bears!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
We have FABULOUS Produce at our Aldis....Mangos, Apples, lettuce, grapes, baby carrots for 99/bag, lemons, limes, fresh spinach. My friend loves their cream puffs, I buy shrimp, stir fry veggies. I use it to buy apples for my staff appreciation stuff, small but so good, this last week they had galas, red delicious, granny smith for 1.99 per 3 lb bag.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I am so far behind I think I'm First!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Susuz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2009, 08:42 PM

My Mood/Status:
CheeseCake1 has posted more than 25 good deals
My family really like Aldi's type Cherrios. They taste better than the orginal we think.

The cukes are really goo buy also but they go bad quickly.

They are new in town and very nice clean store.
The Following User Says Thank You to CheeseCake1 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2009, 08:52 PM

nickle and diming my way to being debt free

My Mood/Status:
jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have never had an issue with produce from Aldis..its cheaper and generally very good and I haven't had any problems with it going bad. Of course I have 4 kids so we may eat it up faster than other families.
We buy lots of stuff there...but of course since I started couponing I buy less and less as my stockpile of free/cheap grows.
My kids are used to generic foods so they like all the food at Aldis

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeanettebr For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2009, 09:27 PM

My Mood/Status:
spencerkriss has posted more than 1 good deal
We have been very big fans of Aldi' for a long time. The veggies are hit & miss for me. I've learned to avoid the yellow onions unless I am going to use them quickly. They are good, but go bad fairly quickly. Potatoes are good, but small. They have great deals on fruit & such...no real problems, but I have saved a bunch. I can honestly say the only thing we do NOT eat is their tuna. I just don't care for the flavor. We buy their fish, it's fine. Meat, you can probably get a better deal, depending on where you live.

hth,
Kriss
The Following User Says Thank You to spencerkriss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2009, 09:41 PM

Just keep swimming!

My Mood/Status:
jlaporte has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jlaporte has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jlaporte has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jlaporte has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jlaporte has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jlaporte has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jlaporte has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jlaporte has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jlaporte has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jlaporte has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jlaporte has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
personally i think it is hit or miss. i save more money using a coupon or ebven just going to another store.i went there when i first moved her cuz i kept hearing great things. but hasnt been that great for me. so its ur call. all our taste buds are diffrent. good luck

May your troubles be less, Your blessings be more, And nothing but happiness come through your door.
The Following User Says Thank You to jlaporte For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2009, 02:50 PM

happy
Ocala coupon mom

My Mood/Status:
elamia has posted more than 5 good deals
Aldi's shopping

I stopped by Aldi's last week just to see what it was all about. It is a relatively new store thats been open for months but I never went there because I was told it was similar to a Save-A-Lot (which in my area isn't that great). But I have to say I liked the cleanliness and even though I just went to look I wound up buying some stuff like canned tomatoes, tomato paste, and bananas, and mushrooms. I would shop there in a pinch if I needed items that weren't on sale with a coupon in my regular store. But I don't think I would buy the meat. And definitely need to use their produce quickly.

Have a blessed day.
The Following User Says Thank You to elamia For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2009, 08:34 PM

rhettlover has posted more than 25 good deals
I recently started going to Aldi's and have liked most of my purchases so far. Are the kid's drinks good? The big bottles of punch and the kool-aid like individual bottles? I need some for my son's b-day party, but I've never tried them.
The Following User Says Thank You to rhettlover For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2009, 09:55 AM

In Love With Coupons
Trying to stockpile again.

My Mood/Status:
ms.laura has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ms.laura has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ms.laura has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ms.laura has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ms.laura has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ms.laura has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ms.laura has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
i've bought frozen meatballs, frozen hamburger patties, frozen hot wings, milk, salad, cookies, chips, pop, juice, cream cheese, some fruits(have to really inspect). They are ok.
The Following User Says Thank You to ms.laura For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2009, 01:57 PM

My Mood/Status:
lizsch1982 has posted more than 10 good deals
We usually get the shrimp and fish from aldi's and never had a problem with them. Also you just have to watch the fruits and veg's. The banana's i don't get if they are too ripe. Most of the veg's are ok but the prices at walmart sometimes are cheaper, that is what i look for. My aunt is a die hard fan of aldi's though, she makes all kinds of stuff with there ingredients. We also stock up on broths and can goods.
The Following User Says Thank You to lizsch1982 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2009, 10:05 PM

sleepy

My Mood/Status:
Just wanted to say I finally used the box of Ghiradelli ( sp?) brownie mix I had bought.
Well i'm dissapointed , sorry to say that easy recipe, followed the instructions on the box Well I did not eat them th at night covered them up tightly and next day they were hard as a rock. I could not even put the knife in them to cut them. I have made brownies before , other brand names and they are fine, . I dont think I will ever buy this box again, wow, I mean rock hard,box was not expired so dont know what the heck happened.