Care Packages Help

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 11:12 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
AmandaDavenport has posted more than 300 great deals!AmandaDavenport has posted more than 300 great deals!AmandaDavenport has posted more than 300 great deals!AmandaDavenport has posted more than 300 great deals!
Question Care Packages Help

I am confused, I thought I seen what I am looking for on here somewhere, but just can't find it now, so I am sorry if it is been posted prior.

Me and my husband have been planning on sending care packages for a few years, but now that I am couponing it is more feesable for us, also I think it is a great time to teach our 5 year old about helping others. My husband is a disabled/retired veteran so this is a spot that really hits home in our household.

Here's my delima, I know some common since things on what I should put in a care package, but I would like some insight from others on some "special" things, or anythings I can put in care packages.

I am not sure if I want to adopt just one soldier at a time or troop. I am thinking more along the lines of a troop of maybe 5-10ish? Does someone have insight on what is a better way to go? We want to send one care package a month or one everyother month? We was also thinking if we do a single soldier maybe do two, one female and one male soldier?

I am lost on this as my husband is some help, but just not enough, I have been through different sights and not sure I have found what I am looking for..

What is the best size Priority Mail box should I use?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to finally give back, but like I said my husband is not really no help on this, he has gaven me a couple ideas, but really they was just common since things, ..

I appreciate any input.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and 2
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and 2
The Following User Says Thank You to AmandaDavenport For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-28-2011, 07:52 AM

RE: Care Packages Help

Laundry Goddess

zombiesatyoursix has posted more than 100 good deals!zombiesatyoursix has posted more than 100 good deals!
The biggest box you can use! Seriously, the stuff you send over there is so appreciated the more you can send the better.

Also keep in mind, all the guys will trade stuff between themselves. IE: "I'm out of dip, will you trade me this canned sky line chili and bag of candy for a can of dip?". The good stuff is like currency, most times its better than currency because you couldn't get it even if you had 1,000$ in your pocket unless someone sends it to you. Sending enough to keep, share and trade is good!

Things that my husband would appreciate:

WISPS! ...in huge amounts. They can't always shower/brush their teeth on a schedule so it helps. Especially when a lot of the soldiers smoke or dip. Also, trial size listerine. Alcohol free listerine to be on the safe side, for shipping purposes.

Baby wipes - they are a god send.

Anything to remove sand from your butt crack.

Monistat chaffing cream or any chaffing cream. - my husband loves this stuff. It keeps his groin area and thighs from chaffing and especially helps when he can have a baby wipe shower. Its super painful to chaffe in uniform, especially when you cant shower and change.

Home made brownies/cakes/cupcakes in a jar. Info can be found here:
cakies: DIY: cupcake in a jar

Special things would be things from their hometown region that they cant get. My husband loves sky line chili. Its only found near his hometown. We are posted 5 hours from his hometown and they dont sell it in our wal mart. His mom has to buy it for him.

If I were to put together a box for my DH this is what i'd put in it:

Wisps (a dozen)
Baby wipes (half dozen)
Sky line chili, fritos and canned cheese.
A couple nintendo DS I games
Photos of our baby, house, me and a letter or 2.
Brownies in a jar
Several books, probably a series
A magazine
Batteries
Foot powder and a new pack of socks.
A pillow case from home.
A sheet set.
Candy
Chips
Dip
Cigarettes
Microwavable mac n cheese
Spaghetti O's
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zombiesatyoursix For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2011, 12:06 PM

My Mood/Status:
AmandaDavenport has posted more than 300 great deals!AmandaDavenport has posted more than 300 great deals!AmandaDavenport has posted more than 300 great deals!AmandaDavenport has posted more than 300 great deals!
When you say homemade brownies in a.jar, can you elaborate? I have read if you don't know the soldier we should not send homemade items as they are advised to disguard the items.

Also thanks for the list.
and 2
and 2
The Following User Says Thank You to AmandaDavenport For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2011, 03:56 PM

Laundry Goddess

zombiesatyoursix has posted more than 100 good deals!zombiesatyoursix has posted more than 100 good deals!
You bake the brownies in the jar. Usually canning jars.

If you dont feel comfy sending something like that to a stranger, dont feel obligated. They do have the microwave brownies/cake things by betty crocker. I dont know how they would hold up in the heat though.
The Following User Says Thank You to zombiesatyoursix For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2011, 07:19 PM

is always on the lookout for Panda Bears!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
There are several threads on here, I send to the one that is BigShirley's old unit. They have one person that you send to (a medical unit out of Texas) and they distribute it to the entire group. They have male and female soldiers.

I send every month, and the one I like the best is the large square box, flat rate.

You can also go to Anysoldier.com and find a group from your state, guidelines and suggestions for items to send. I will see if I can find the Big Shirley thread.

I don't usually send glass (canning jar brownies, but cookies in a Pringles can work great!

Here's the thread...the address for Megan is in there

Can you spare a bag of coffee / and or baked goods??

I am so far behind I think I'm First!
Old 08-01-2011, 07:22 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
And by the way, Thank you for you giving heart! It is so fulfilling for me and my DD to pack these, send notes and cards from us, artwork too!

Old 08-01-2011, 08:34 PM

Laundry Goddess

DHs unit is deployed right now also. If you are looking for a unit to adopt, may I suggest his unit? His unit is great with a lot of great soldiers We're posted at Fort Campbell, Ky...Home of the screamin eagles. DH is in the Combat aviation brigade here.
The Following User Says Thank You to zombiesatyoursix For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2011, 08:59 AM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiesatyoursix View Post
DHs unit is deployed right now also. If you are looking for a unit to adopt, may I suggest his unit? His unit is great with a lot of great soldiers We're posted at Fort Campbell, Ky...Home of the screamin eagles. DH is in the Combat aviation brigade here.
PM me your DH's unit address, My DD and her friends are sending packages as a summer community service project and We are getting ready to send some more packages. Do they have any special requests? xoxoxoxo

Old 08-03-2011, 10:14 AM

Laundry Goddess

I will have DH ask his rear d commander for mailing information.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:57 AM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
great~ I would just pm it to folks though, don't post it!