Has Anybody Ever Done This?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2010, 09:09 AM
at work...heheh...surfing AFC!

My Mood/Status:
nene0784 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!nene0784 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!nene0784 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!nene0784 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!nene0784 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!nene0784 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!nene0784 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!nene0784 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
has anybody ever done this?

My husband and his unit are currently deployed. I have been thinking about a way to make sure EVERY soldier gets a care package for christmas. Problem is: there's 1200 of them. Yes, you read correctly! THE ENTIRE BRIGADE went.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anybody has done something similar and what contacts did you use to get stuff to put in the packages. I live in a big military town, and I would think that it wouldn't be extremely difficult getting money raised...but i'm only 1 person that works a full time job,and has 2 kids.

Or even getting people on here/church/around town to adopt a soldier for christmas?? I'm not sure how i want to do all of this. But i feel that God placed it on my heart for a reason! And i want to answer His call!

Any advice is welcome. Any negativity is not...i'm sorry but i'm really not here to discuss whether the war is just or not...i just want these guys and ladies to have a piece of home for christmas!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kaleb;2 and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Alexis; 8.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nene0784 For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-31-2010, 09:28 AM

RE: has anybody ever done this?

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
Shanda has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Shanda has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Shanda has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Shanda has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Shanda has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Shanda has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Shanda has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Shanda has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Shanda has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Shanda has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Shanda has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
let me know what you do I would def 'adopt' a soldier or 2 I have plenty of stockpile that I could make a package with
The Following User Says Thank You to Shanda For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2010, 09:31 AM

My Mood/Status:
nene0784 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!nene0784 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!nene0784 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!nene0784 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!nene0784 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!nene0784 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!nene0784 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!nene0784 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanda View Post
let me know what you do I would def 'adopt' a soldier or 2 I have plenty of stockpile that I could make a package with
That's awesome! i haven't even gone to people that would be my contact with this...but i wanted to go in with at least some info. I guess 1 person willing to contribute(besides me) is a start right?! Gotta start somewhere!!

I will def. keep you updated on how this goes!
Kaleb;2 and
Alexis; 8.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:46 AM

Working

My Mood/Status:
pearl73 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!pearl73 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!pearl73 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!pearl73 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!pearl73 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!pearl73 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!pearl73 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I can "adopt" one too. Just let me know.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:59 AM

likes $3/$5 off Nature Mades
Kansas Sunflower

My Mood/Status:
bobojay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bobojay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bobojay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bobojay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bobojay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bobojay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bobojay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bobojay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bobojay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bobojay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bobojay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Let your paper know about your project,they might run an article and you will get lots of response from that. I live in a military town too. A lady friend I met started a group to do the exact thing you are doing. Paper ran an article,she took donations for a garage sale and made over $1000. She didnt price anything just took donations of whatever people wanted to pay. You might contact the hotels and see if they would want to give little shampoo/lotions for your boxes. Try calling the local VFW. Look in your phonebook, if you have any local Candy distributors maybe they will donate some hard candies. These are good for using as filler in your boxes. A newspaper article would really get you going. You will need help packing all these, and need a customs form for each one. Wish I lived near I would love to help on this. My son is in Afghanistan right now. GOODLUCK!

**ISO Q's**
Tena
Egglands Egg coupons
Lactaid Milk
Tyson Chicken Sandwich
Angel Soft TP
Land O Lakes butter
Adult type cereal

Last edited by bobojay; 07-31-2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: sp
The Following User Says Thank You to bobojay For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2010, 11:06 AM

My Mood/Status:
sabrina23 has posted more than 200 great deals!sabrina23 has posted more than 200 great deals!sabrina23 has posted more than 200 great deals!
I will adopt a soldier. I would also like to help a military family with my expired q's. Just pm me.
The Following User Says Thank You to sabrina23 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2010, 01:08 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
lexco86 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!lexco86 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!lexco86 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!lexco86 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!lexco86 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!lexco86 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I would be willing to adopt a solider also..I would need to know what types of things to send... friends of mine lost their son in Iraq back on the 11th of June.. In honor of Izzy

If you are on facebook that might be a good way to get the word out
The Following User Says Thank You to lexco86 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2010, 01:20 PM

My Mood/Status:
i'm tearing up with responses i have gotten thru afullcup and facebook! Who would have known a little idea that i had coming into work today, would start turning into this! Like i said...i'm still in the start-up idea phase...but i really think i can pull this off.

bobojay-thank you so much for your advice. I did think about our local radio station...the country station around here LOVES our military! LOL. didn't even cross my mind about newpapers. THANKS!

I don't even know the cost of all this. But if i can get all 1.200 troops something it'll be more than worth it later!
Kaleb;2 and
Alexis; 8.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:24 PM

My Mood/Status:
love+shop has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!love+shop has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!love+shop has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!love+shop has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!love+shop has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!love+shop has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Would you send the care packages to "any solidier" or would you get a list of specific names? I would think a list with specific names would be the best way to go!

I've hosted "care package play dates" where my friends and I get together and make care packages. Each person contributes something (candy, toiletries, cards, etc.) and the kids make "thank you for what you do" cards... kind of a fun way to get the kids involved as well.

Last edited by love+shop; 07-31-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:27 PM

One day at a time.

My Mood/Status:
baybeenurse has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!baybeenurse has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!baybeenurse has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!baybeenurse has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!baybeenurse has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!baybeenurse has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!baybeenurse has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!baybeenurse has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!baybeenurse has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!baybeenurse has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!baybeenurse has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
i have often done this through soldiersangels and anysoldier...would be happy to share some stockpile goodies with 2 soldiers..just send me the specifics

,wife, and proud mommy to sons, Logan~19, Mason~18, Hunter~13, Holden~7, her forever angel~Parker, and rescue German Shepherd, Ryka
The Following User Says Thank You to baybeenurse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2010, 01:56 PM

rityd has posted more than 150 good deals!rityd has posted more than 150 good deals!
Two friends of mine and I did holiday stockings for 50 - (2 plantoons).

I would be willing to adopt 10 of them. If you are taking names, just pm me.

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to rityd For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2010, 01:58 PM

My Mood/Status:
michstar has posted more than 150 good deals!michstar has posted more than 150 good deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by love+shop View Post
Would you send the care packages to "any solidier" or would you get a list of specific names? I would think a list with specific names would be the best way to go!

I've hosted "care package play dates" where my friends and I get together and make care packages. Each person contributes something (candy, toiletries, cards, etc.) and the kids make "thank you for what you do" cards... kind of a fun way to get the kids involved as well.
She would have to have specific names because they don't let you mail to 'any soldier' anymore- too much risk of getting something harmful.

I think it's a great project you are doing, my husband is in Afghanistan right now as well, and I know how time consuming it can be to send him care packages I can't imagine doing it for that many of our guys and gals!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to michstar For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2010, 02:00 PM

My Mood/Status:
mary13 has posted more than 300 great deals!mary13 has posted more than 300 great deals!mary13 has posted more than 300 great deals!mary13 has posted more than 300 great deals!
please let me know a name and addy as well .i have plenty to share
The Following User Says Thank You to mary13 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2010, 02:28 PM

My Mood/Status:
Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
We'd be willing to adopt a soldier also. Just let me know.

Maybe you need a spreadsheet to see who volunteers?
The Following User Says Thank You to Maggiew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2010, 03:35 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggiew View Post
We'd be willing to adopt a soldier also. Just let me know.

Maybe you need a spreadsheet to see who volunteers?

Yes...i think excel is going to be my best friend if i can get this going!!!!
Kaleb;2 and
Alexis; 8.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:31 PM

Kansas Sunflower

My Mood/Status:
bobojay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bobojay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bobojay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bobojay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bobojay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bobojay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bobojay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bobojay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bobojay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bobojay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bobojay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
You go nene, you are gonna need help but you can do it! Your best bet is to go for the Medium Flat Rate Priority boxes. I believe they are 10.35 to mail them. Also another thought. If any od your soldiers belong to any clubs..car clubs, etc. I bet they would pitch in some stuff too. Enlist the help of the other wives and spouses too.
Mailed a Med Flat Rate Priority box this am was $10.70.

**ISO Q's**
Tena
Egglands Egg coupons
Lactaid Milk
Tyson Chicken Sandwich
Angel Soft TP
Land O Lakes butter
Adult type cereal

Last edited by bobojay; 08-02-2010 at 09:42 PM. Reason: correction
Old 08-01-2010, 11:42 PM

My Mood/Status:
kcalvo18 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!kcalvo18 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!kcalvo18 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!kcalvo18 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!kcalvo18 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!kcalvo18 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Check with your FRG as well. This is who we went through last year. See if you can secure a van from the unit and a driver to go down with you. They have lots of stuff donated weekly. Everything from toiletries to snack and coffee for the troops. Also stuff for FRG Christmas parties like ornaments and CD's and such. Ms. Barbara is very nice and so is her help. She can't send them off for you but she has the stuff to put together and in some cases kits are already put together. Talk to you CO and see if they have any extra funds or resources to get all the packages over seas, because it can be very expensive. If no $$ is available then do a few fund raisers to help pay for shipping. The stuff at Give to the Troops is completely free just cost gas to go down and back. Let me know if I can help you out as well.

NORTH CAROLINA BRANCH
Give2TheTroops, Inc.
ATTN: Barbara Whitehead, Branch Director
3109 Landmark St.
Greenville, NC 27834
Tel. 252.321.8227
Email: Barbara@Give2thetroops.org

NORTH CAROLINA Volunteer Center Hours:

Mondays 2:30 pm - 7:30 pm

Thursdays 2:30 pm - 7:30 pm

Saturdays 9:00 am - 12:00 am
(DS) 4yrs. old.

Check out my FSOT BOYS 18-24mo. Old Navy Coat!!
Old 08-02-2010, 12:38 AM

My Mood/Status:
shanabme has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!shanabme has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!shanabme has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!shanabme has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!shanabme has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!shanabme has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!shanabme has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!shanabme has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!shanabme has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!shanabme has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!shanabme has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
There are lots of great ways to do this. One of the best ways to personalize the boxes rather make them Anysoldier boxes, is to ask your base chaplin for a list of the names and genders of his Brigade. He/She may not be able to give those to you directly, but they can tell you genders and may join your cause and be able to see they are distributed. If you have a local Kiwanis club you may be able to join with their volunteers as they will normally do a Christmas project.

Seperate boxes for 1200 is going to mean expensive shipping - even using the APO prepriced boxes from the post office. If it is for Christmas start preordering your boxes via the post office website. They will be delivered to your home for free 25 at a time. You can order them up to 500 at time but it will be likely be delayed so be prepared for that and have someone to carry them in the house with you. 1200 will take a while to collect so you will want to start soon and also enlist the help of others to get the boxes delivered to their doors. Labels are free, too. Don't count on the post office to have stock of the boxes right before Christmas - they do run out/low. Shipping per box is $12.50 so add that in for people to make cash donations.

https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/sto...egory=10000002

Radio stations and even morning tv news will make announcements for you. But know what you want and how much of it before you ask them to do the announcement. And have a drop off location. They will need to know whether you want pre packaged boxes to ship, names of soldiers you want to have adopted, or if you want items taken to a central location to be packed up on a certain day/days.
You may find that the last one is a great way to make sure the packages are well packed and the items are allowed for the areas you are shipping to and customs forms are complete/correct.

Our experience with this was to have specific items dropped off at a single location over a few days (our offices) then to use the cafeteria as a packing assembly line over two weekend days. Don't forget scissors and packing tape as well as customs documents, pens and markers, and labels.

You will be amazed how many people are ready and willing to help. I was and Air Force linguist years ago. And our son is a Korean/Pashtun linquist, today. We send lots of boxes to soldiers. It means so much to them to know they are thought of everyday and especially for Christmas. Thank you for doing this.

Last edited by shanabme; 08-02-2010 at 12:41 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:05 AM

My Mood/Status:
daisydoescoupons has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!daisydoescoupons has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!daisydoescoupons has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!daisydoescoupons has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!daisydoescoupons has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!daisydoescoupons has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!daisydoescoupons has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!daisydoescoupons has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!daisydoescoupons has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!daisydoescoupons has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Last year I volunteered for a couple of weeks for Operation Santa. It is run by a lady named Patti Smith. She started this when her son was deployed. Last year they sent out over 42,000 stockings and Hannukah bags to soldiers. She had done this several years and I am sure would be happy to provide you guidance on the logistics. Operation Santa
Old 08-02-2010, 09:41 PM

Kansas Sunflower

My Mood/Status:
The medium Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes are $10.70, I just mailed one to our son this am.

**ISO Q's**
Tena
Egglands Egg coupons
Lactaid Milk
Tyson Chicken Sandwich
Angel Soft TP
Land O Lakes butter
Adult type cereal
Old 08-03-2010, 07:05 AM

LOVE AFC!!!

My Mood/Status:
Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I am involved in Soldier's Angels (I have adopted a soldier). It is a great way to use your stockpile if you don't have a place to donate locally. We are asked to send two packages a month and one letter a week to our soldier. I ask her to let me know what she needs and I watch sales to get it for her (plus a lot of extra fun or yummy stuff, too). Good luck on your project!