View Single Post
Old 07-23-2014, 12:00 PM

RE: Talk Spot: Tell Us About Your Shopping Trip!

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Secret on How to Pick a Watermelon

Not much to report from the last trip, but I might know a secret in picking a watermelon.

Let me explain...

On my trip yesterday to the commissary, I came upon a batch of stacked watermelons. My children started mentioning them and frankly they looked good, so on to picking. My odds of getting a good watermelon are 50-50, not very good. I tried looking for one using the old methods, looking for the bee stings (not sure if a bee really stings them), and just hoping for the best by the size and color.

I then noticed a booth set up with coloring pages, stickers, and what caught my eye was a watermelon pamphlet. Hoping to find the answers to picking the perfect watermelon, I caught the gaze of another shopper. I then explained I was looking in the pamphlet for the answers on picking the right watermelon. She said she was also looking for the way to pick a watermelon. She then explained that her mother was great at picking them, but she wasn't there to help. We both laughed because we were both out of luck in picking a juicy, ripe watermelon.

I joked that it probably wasn't in the pamphlet, but had to change my response when I came across the golden key of the art of picking a watermelon.

Here is what the pamphlet explained...

1. Look the watermelon over...(hummmm, they look similar) Here's the key: Firm, Symmetrical, Free from Bruises, Cuts, or Dents.

2. Lift it up. The watermelon should be heavy for the size. Watermelons are 92% water and the weight is mostly water.

3. Turn the watermelon over. The underside of the watermelon should have a "creamy yellow spot" from where it sat on the ground and ripened.

We both laughed when we read the part of "creamy yellow spot". We even asked one of the serviceman buying the watermelon if he knew how to pick them and he said no, while putting the longest watermelon in his cart that anyone has ever seen. (No kidding, it looked like it was three feet long.) I then looked in my cart and noticed that the first choice I had picked didn't include most of the steps that the pamphlet said, so story short back to the drawing board on picking the perfect watermelon.

I finally found another one, and yes it was good when I sliced it up at home. Still a little skeptical about picking a good one again, but I will try these guidelines. Hopefully my luck has changed and these are true methods. Plus a little more knowledge and confidence that I would need for next time.

Now with these tools you can also pick the best watermelon! Let me know what you find or the wise advice you might have in picking one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Love Couponing and Helping Others? Join the Team of Forum Leaders Today!...Click Link Below...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sav4dzn For This Useful Post: