View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013, 06:59 AM

RE: keeping a crate warm for dogs?

Lift while you climb

My Mood/Status:
tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
It wouldn't be pretty, but if I had another chewer (been there, done that ) that I needed to keep in a cold room, I'd make a 4-sided box big enough to fit over both of their crates. I'd make it just close enough to hold in the heat but not so close that the chewer could get it through the crate (maybe an inch from the crates?) Then I'd tape a layer of foamboard insulation (the kind that comes in big sheets at home depot or lowes) on the top and sides. If aesthetics aren't important, I might leave it like that. If they are, I'd put another layer of cardboard or a blanket on the outside.

Their body heat would keep them warm and, if they need to be in the cages a lot, they would get some socialization by being able to see each other because the crates would be side-by-side inside of the box.

We've used those plug-in heaters to warm a room that is much like what you described (you could see your breath some days when it was cold outside). We only had ours going when we were in that room. They are expensive to run compared to regular heaters. If you get one and can put a timer on it so that it's not always running, that would help on the costs. Be careful if you run it while you're not in the room. Lots of house fires are started by those space heaters being too close to something or by them malfunctioning.

DELTA region for Kroger stores

Are you looking for a way to give back to this great community?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to tratra For This Useful Post: