Thread: kids chores?
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2013, 07:35 AM

RE: kids chores?

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
Nictehaa has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Nictehaa has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Nictehaa has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Nictehaa has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Nictehaa has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Nictehaa has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I am so glad to see that I'm not alone in my thoughts on chores. I have six children and they all have had 'chores' since they could walk. I too do not believe in an allowance. I do however give my children various ways to earn money so they will learn how it feels and how to manage money. My children are taught that everyone in the household is equally responsible for keeping the house neat. It was not always easy, but now at 3,6, 8,10,13, and 14, they all know the routine. It literally took years to perfect, but a few months ago it really clicked. I normally get up to clear the table and start cleaning the kitchen immediately after dinner, but that night I was chatting with my husband at the table. Without saying a word, we sat in amazement as all of the kids got up and started their routines. One cleared the table while one put the food away. Another started the dishes while the other began to sweep. Another was scraping off the dishes and taking the garbage out. Even the three year old was straightening all of the dining chairs. It was awesome. I do get opposition from time to time, especially from the teens, but it doesn't bother me. My mother taught me absolutely nothing about running a house or responsibility growing up. Luckily I learned this from my dad. I may be hard on my kids, and expect a lot out of them, but it's only because I want to prepare them for their future. As for a chore chart, or a way to track or divide chores, that just wouldn't work for us nor do I find it necessary. We all share all chores, and in time we've discovered who's better fit for certain chores. My 14 year old is more efficient at sweeping, where my 13 year old is better at mopping, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nictehaa For This Useful Post: