Thread: Fleas!
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 08:45 PM

RE: Fleas!

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
nicb87 has posted more than 75 good deals!
Sorry to hear about the fleas. If you were using Frontline, in recent years I've seen more and more people (including myself) finding that it has lost effectiveness. I switched to Advantage for my cats and it worked much better, though not 100% either

Make sure you vacuum every day and dispose of the bag/contents immediately. It will help cut back on the amount of flea eggs. Wash any clothes/bedclothes/towels/pet beds etc that may have been exposed in very hot water.

Buy diatomaceous earth and sprinkle it around--it is a natural flea/bug killer and has worked very well for me. It is EXTREMELY important that you get the food grade kind. Make sure it explicitly states it is food grade and not for use in pools. The food grade D.E. is safe to use around pets and people, but the kind used for pools, etc is toxic for animals. I bought a bag on Amazon over a year ago for less than $10 (Nature's Wisdom Food Grade D.E. brand) and still have a bit left. It has a chalky consistency so it does track but it helped cut down the flea population in my apartment when the whole building was having flea issues. You can rub a bit of the D.E. directly onto the cats if you want (again--ONLY the food grade kind) but it is very drying so use it sparingly otherwise dry skin and dandruff could occur.

It usually takes a few weeks for the full flea population to die out but if you are diligent, it is easy to control before it gets out of hand. Good luck!
, Sinatra
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Lola
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and Sofia
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nicb87 For This Useful Post: