View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 03:58 AM
saddened by it all

My Mood/Status:
addington has posted more than 400 great deals!addington has posted more than 400 great deals!addington has posted more than 400 great deals!addington has posted more than 400 great deals!addington has posted more than 400 great deals!
Question Heartworms? Fleas? Help!

Hi!

Newbie pet owner here!

We just got a yorkie puppy last summer and he has been quite an addition to our family.

Anyway, when I took him for his shots and such then, they gave me pills for heartworm and told me to get some flea stuff. I used all the heartworm stuff (6 months worth) and all was good.

I called yesterday to see when he was due next for shots (babies go to the doctor quite a bit their first few years but not sure about puppies!) and when to start the heartworm/flea stuff now that spring is almost here.

Her response was "well aren't you doing year 'round heartworm?" They never said it was year round! Now, I need to get him checked again and start the pills.

Is this standard? Our family had a dog when I was growing up and I don't remember giving heartworm pills year around, only in the summer. And what kind of flea stuff should I use? There are so many choices out there! We live in a subdivision that used to be a farmer's field and he's confined to our backyard.

Help! Any insight would be appreciated. I hate to be so clueless!