So have you ever wondered what the average coupon user looks like? Do you picture grandma sitting at the table clipping the Sunday paper? Or maybe the young mom who is struggling to make ends meet? Most people assume that people use coupons because they have to, and that they can’t afford groceries without them. Well, a look at the real coupon user may surprise you. Recently advertisers and manufacturers have started doing studies on what the average coupon user looks like. The results have been a surprise to the researchers and may be to you as well.
Some Facts on coupons and the Average user
* 49.9% of all American households have used a coupon in the last 30 days.
* The use of coupons has increased 27% since the recession began. The use of Internet coupons has jumped 263%.
* Females are more commonly coupon users than males, at 58.7% of females using coupons versus 41.3% of males.
* Shoppers with children are more likely to use coupons than those without. Those with younger children are more likely to use coupons than those with teenagers or older.
* The age group that is most likely to coupon is those 25-44.
* Empty Nesters are also more likely to use coupons
* The least likely – single, under the age of 35, and have no children living at home.
* Those with higher incomes tend to use more coupons. Those making $100,000 or more are 25% more likely to use coupons than those making $25,000 or less.
* Ninety-six percent of consumers said that they would still use coupons if they struck it big in the lottery.
* Those with a college degree are 15% more likely to use coupons, and those without any college education 9% less likely to.
* Among ethnic groups Caucasians are more likely to use coupons and Hispanics are the least likely.
* Households residing in comfortable country and suburban spreads are more likely to be heavier coupon users, while non-users are more apt to be those households living in rural areas and urban core areas.
In summary the profile of the mostly likely coupon user is: white, female, 25-44 years old, married with no children or with younger children. They live in the suburbs, have at least some college education and make more than $50,000 a year. They have Internet access, own their home, and use their phone to text. Coupon users are now younger, affluent, and tech-savvy – pretty much the exact opposite of the stereotype of coupon users.
A look at Avid Couponers
As I was researching all this information, I encountered interesting facts about coupon users who are considered “coupon enthusiasts”. These couponers are the ones who are heavy coupon users – and this is where so many of us fall. An enthusiast is defined as someone who uses 104 or more coupons in a six-month period. Here is a look at the enthusiast:
* The coupon “enthusiast” makes up less than 10% of the American population.
* These users are responsible for 65% of all coupons redeemed each year
* The coupon “enthusiast”, combined with the next down level – “super heavy” coupon users, make up 22% of the population.
* This 22% of the population accounts for 83% of all coupons redeemed. This leaves just 17% of the coupons are redeemed by the other 78% of the population.
* Coupon “enthusiasts” make 1.7 times more trips to the store than the average shoppers.
* They also buy 1.8 times more products than the average consumer.
* Coupon “enthusiasts” alone account for 18% of all items purchased, with or without coupons.
* Affluent families dominate coupon usage: 38% of “super heavy” users and 41% of “enthusiasts” come from households with incomes greater than $70,000.
* Beyond income levels, family size makes a big difference – more than half (51%) of larger households (3+ members) are “enthusiasts”.
These results have shown researchers and manufacturers that coupon “enthusiasts” are a significant force to be reckoned with. One research team voiced this opinion: “In addition to expanding the appeal of coupons in general, manufacturers and retailers would do well to target enthusiasts: their shopping behaviors and demographics make them extremely appealing.” It’s nice to see that they are now recognizing that fact.
So what do you think? Are you surprised by the numbers? Has your view of the average coupon user changed? How about the effect coupon “enthusiasts” have? What surprised you the most?
All facts in this article accumulated from The Neilson Company, The New York Times, NCH Marketing Services, Journal of Food Distribution Research, Vlassis, and Inmar.